The new Tendou Souji
Iono, bro. I think you wrote it off too soon.

I watched 97.111112% of the show and, I think it was awful too. :shrug:

Villains were like the best IN YEARS, Z was just a treat and was one of the most interesting bad guys in all of Sentai,

I dunno, I can think of tons of sentai villains who were more entertaining than the Shadow Line ended up being.

characters were constantly changing and developing over the course of the show

How did they change, though? Nero, Morc (and even Zet) stayed the exact same throughout their entire run.
(I don't know if I'd say that Gritta changed either, since all the last few episodes did was give her a purpose other than squealing "Shwartz-sama!")

If we're talking heroes, then.. I dunno, the core 5 stayed directionless for the longest time hecause "lol amnesia"; then when they got their memories back, the sow really made no effort to make them seem any different... until Right at the end, but I wouldn't call that "changed".

Last edited:
CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Oooh! Did you guys notice how at the end Mio had her doll in her bag? The one that came to life in one of the early episodes? The one that looked like a dumpling...forgot its name though.

Well, that was a nice final episode. Good way to finally bring imagination back into the story (it seems as if the show had completely forgotten about its own motif for several episodes, opting instead for a simple light vs. dark motif), although it's rather fitting that the series ends with the ToQgers never really beating anyone.

And that's my main problem with the show. It has the same problems that Maskman and Gekiranger had, a core team that's so uninteresting that the series chooses to focus all of its character development and story arcs on the villains instead, leaving us with heroes who kinda just go through the motions. Thankfully, the villains were well written so I can't write this show off as "bad". But it just marks the third straight year where I just haven't felt anything aside from boredom (Go-Busters) or anger (Kyoryuger) while watching Super Sentai. The theme of this show never really felt fleshed out, and the fights were usually underwhelming (a matter not helped by the pretty awful mechas and suits, outside of the Shadow Line). Things picked up in the last few episodes, but it's too little too late for me to able to really recommend it.

I have my hopes up for Ninninjer since it seems to be trying some different things (albeit with a motif that's been done twice before), but if that show ends up being mediocre as well then I may just give up on this franchise for becoming stagnant.

I watched 97.111112% of the show and, I think it was awful too. :shrug:

This. I watched 100% of Toqger (duh) and i thought it was almost unbearable. For reasons that many people (and myself) pointed out already many times, not only in this thread, but other recents ones, such as the "one of the worst Sentai ever". It would be tiresome to go over everything again, but the reasons were all pretty solid.

Anyway, the finale was mediocre. Tokatti and his other three interchangeable companions throwing their resshas to Right, Right getting random, last-hour unexplained upgrades so he could defeat(?) a villain that wanted to be defeated. That was one of the most anticlimactic final battles in ages.
I wasn't moved by the resolution since not only it was cheap, as others explained, but the acting in the show never really convinced me. The kid actors are better than most of the adults, probably, but then again when you have the likes of Tokatti (one of the worst Sentai actors ever), that's not hard.

Thank God it's time for Ninninger.

If we're talking heroes, then.. I dunno, the core 5 stayed directionless for the longest time hecause "lol amnesia"; then when they got their memories back, the sow really made no effort to make them seem any different... until Right at the end, but I wouldn't call that "changed".

Agreed, the Toqgers got no development...but that's not hard to explain: at the time they recovered their memories, the show had decided to focus on the villains instead. And most of the time spent on the heroes were pointless fillers. No wonder they remained static characters.

Oh, i have no words to express my feeling.

Great final battle, great lines, music, ending. The return to home, all perfect.

A new classic is born, ToQGer is one of the best sentai, toku and general series I've watched.

5 stars, 10.0

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Plus Right is one the biggest idiots in Sentai history.

How the flying F would you know if you never watched any episodes?! What are you doing in this thread anyway? IF you want to ***** about a show you never saw there's a thread about how ToQger is one of the worst sentai ever that's perfect for you. This is a thread for those who actually WATCHED the show.

Good way to finally bring imagination back into the story (it seems as if the show had completely forgotten about its own motif for several episodes, opting instead for a simple light vs. dark motif)

To be fair it was handled quite horribly, what with treating it like it was the Force or Qi. Dropping it was for the best.

ToQ 47:

- Well, Akira's "death wish" plot got resolved quite suddenly.

- Ah. The rows of lanterns resembles train tracks.

- There are Europeans at this star festival.

- Another year at the "city ruins" set for the finale, I see. Is that on actual studio grounds?

- I like the idea of as the ToQgers turn into adults, they (or at least Right) lose their childlike view of how to defeat the bad guys and try being like them, only to return to their childlike state after learning their lesson.

- How was Right suddenly cured of his darkness taint?

- Wait a minute, if Zett was there when Subarugahama was buried by the Terminal, where was he in the beginning of the show? Shouldn't he have been in the Terminal too?

- Why would putting in the Hyper Ressha now turn Right into ToQ Rainbow instead of the usual Hyper ToQ 1? Was it because he swapped the other trains in a row beforehand? Or did they imagine this new form?

- Give the show credit: this is one of the more unique ways to finish off the villains. But what are they going to do from now on? What happens to the empire?

- This is how we're resolving the families issue? They just imagined that they remembered their children and recognize them as adults? You could at least do some semblance of a bittersweet ending, or if not that then turn them back into children but with their memories intact. That would at least make a bit more sense.

Oh... they were turned back into children.... Never mind then.

- Little kids call each other "chan"?

- Did they imagine their adult selves beneath the tree?