Untitled.jpg
For those of you who haven't seen this film yet, the explosion is hiding all the extra characters joining forces ;)

Well Imagination Station have released their sub, and I've gotta say I thought it was a really fun movie. What did the rest of you think?

meh, this team-up was super weak. I think it's shorter than usual? it's normally one and a half hours long. there were hardly any interactions between both teams, sans Daigo and Right *GASP! RED CENTRIC!!111oneone* with Utsusemimaru and Akira. I only enjoyed the part where the children Tokkyugers transformed and fought the mooks. screw Daigo for calling them childish and saying their journey is just a field trip too. :p

K

Kamen Rider IXA

It was ok.
Millions times better than Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters.
I feel bad for Nero, through.:laugh:

I think you're mis-remembering the film lengths. Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters was an hour long. So was Go-Busters vs Gokaiger, Gokaiger vs Gavan, Goseiger vs Shinkenger, Shinkenger vs Go-Onger, Go-Onger vs Gekiranger...

It's fairly typical for only one or two of the "past" team to get much to do, so I wouldn't say the film is weaker than other entries for doing the same, much as I'd have liked some more Nossan time. I can see what you mean about Daigo but he'd only seen the ToQgers completely fail against generic footsoldiers and then reveal that they were children, so you can understand why he'd want to keep them away from danger, and the arc of the story had him accept them. Heck, it IS an arc, which is not guarenteed with these films. :sweat: "Red centric" doesn't turn me off either - I'm not one of those folks who gets their panties in a twist over Sentai's long history of being "red ranger plus his friends".

But I think the film managed to capture some of the humour I enjoyed in Kyoryuger that was missing in ToQger. The kid ToQgers were really fun and the action was well filmed (I really like the bit just after Tokatti and Miu trip the Crows with a rope, where they show the Kyoryugers fighting all over a hill with one long crane shot). The ToQgers rooftop talk made for some good drama. Plus it was nice to get cameos from the other four Kyoryugers and fun to see the Shadows join in with the team-up too (I don't think that's happened before has it, unless you count Leo and Mele in Go-On vs Geki but that was after they'd reformed?). It was a fun hour, and honestly what more could you want from a film like this?

And besides...MIKEY!!! :laugh:

Last edited:
I really didn't enjoy this movie and it's tied with Gobusters vs Gokaiger as my least favorite team up movie.

For starters their wasn't that much interactions between the Kyoryugers and Toqgers other than being mostly in suit and it was until near the end where they finally meet face to face suitless. The Kyoryuger cast except the actor who played Daigo and Utchy done more in ADR than being in the movie physcially. Salamaz was a cool looking villain and then they aborted that cool design without him getting so much as a fight scene in favor of a mech fight with Crows in a train costume. Debius was a cool villain until he did absolutely nothing and for someone to have been presented as a greater threat than Deboss at the end of Kyoryuger, he was destroyed to easily. The final battle was very short and underwhelming and I noticed that their wasn't any music playing which made the scene feel empty. I did enjoy the fight scene with the Kyoryugers and mini-Toqgers and the roll call with the Kyoryugers getting a helmetless one and I thought it was funny that Nero attempted to do his own.

I also been noticing that almost every sentai Vs movie with the current team being head written by Kobayashi had them as the primary focus with the returning team being either just there or afterthoughts.

Last edited:
Lurker
I also been noticing that almost every sentai Vs movie with Kobayashi's team being the current team had the primary focus with the returning team being just there or afterthoughts.

And that's exactly what happened with Go-Busters Vs. Gokaiger, as Go-Busters was also done by Yasuko Kobayashi. The Go-Busters were the ones who had gotten most of the attention while the Gokaigers have gotten sidelined.

In Kyoryuger Vs. Go-Busters, though, it's the Go-Busters who winded up gotten sidelined throughout most of the movie with much less screen time (sweet karma, considering that Go-Busters were one of the most crappiest sentai teams out there).

I really didn't enjoy this movie. Most of the action was pretty weak, aside from a couple of team ups in the middle of the movie, the soundtrack felt bland and the specific character interactions between the teams were very brief, basically one liners. The Debius plot was handled in a very underwhelming way too. The movie never really sold his threat. There's that entire scene where the Toqger angst about never fighting on that scale before, but that entire sequence felt unearned, and Debius pathetically easy defeat afterwards only made everything feel even more pointless.

Also, this movie continues a trend that has been going on since Go-Busters vs Gokaiger. The story is entirely about the current team, and the veterans are only there to fight. Even though the enemy was Kyoryuger related the character development and drama (which, like said above, wasn't good) was all in the Toqger side. This seems to be some kind of executive order from Toei though, since we now have 3 movies from 3 different writers and different producers all sharing that same format. Really, if the past team is only going to be there to fight, they might as well bring back multiple past teams like in the Rider crossovers (in fact, that's why I enjoyed Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters in spite of it sharing those same flaws).

The movie also seemed to suffer from production issues. There are only two scenes where the entire cast were together, right in the final battle, and there are many early scenes with suit-only Kyoryugers, aside from Daigo.

A minor nitpick, but I also didn't like how Kobayashi wrote this like it were the first crossover with the Toqger, with them apparently never having faced anything aside from the Shadowline, in spite of their appearances in Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters and Toqger vs Gaim/Rider Taisen. This is the first crossover written by Kobayashi since Shinkenger vs Go-onger, and... really, I hope she doesn't write any more of them if this is going to be her output.

Lurker
I think it was enjoyable. However, it feels more like a ToqGer movie featuring Kyouryuger than a team up

I thought I've read somewhere that Kobayashi doesn't like writing other writer's Sentai teams? I could be wrong, but yeah. I actually looked forward to ToQger Returns more than this movie.

Since ToQger Returns V-Cinema is coming out later this month (June 24), I finally got to watch ToQger vs Kyoryuger; a non-anniversary standard VS movie that doesn’t have any other past ranger teams.

Interesting thing I noticed is that this movie marked 20th annual crossover movie/special that started since Ohranger vs. Kakuranger; even though anniversary series like Gaoranger and Boukenger didn’t have proper crossover with previous team (Gokaiger had one, thanks to Super Sentai 199 movie), I’m still counting Gaoranger vs. Super Sentai and Boukenger vs. Super Sentai.

I really like how crossover aspect was handled this time, where it was better than last few years (especially last year disaster). The interaction between present (ToQger) and past (Kyoryuger) was handled very well, especially for Utchy (Gold) and Akira (6gou), which was really nice.

The gimmick compatibility of two items (Zyudenchi and Ressha) was pretty unique, where it was nice to see an original combination attack. Even though I’m not too into collecting gimmick, it was fascinating to see it use is this way. I’m curious how it will handle with VS movies of Ninninger with Shuriken.

I like that giant battle has mech from TWO series (Thank You!:thumbs:); something that was absent from last year, where only one (Lioh) represented Go-busters :disappoin. It was also nice to see final combination from two series as well; even though I’m not huge fan of their design. While the battle was short compared to last few years, it was nice that gimmick compatibility was also handled very nice.

The kid ToQger was very cute! It’s nice that we get to see first full-team kid rangers. I haven’t seen kid ranger like that since Kou from Dairanger. The movie exclusive kid rangers, reminds me of Kid Ryotaro Den-O from Den-O “I’m Born!” movie (also written by Yasuko Kobayashi; Kobayashi sure likes “kid” hero, like Noboru Sugimura (Dairanger, Kakuranger, Ohranger)). It’s really refreshing to see kid ranger fight alongside with adult rangers, where it was pretty entertaining. It really makes me wished kid rangers had an appearance in the show, but it was nice to see something special like this in this kind of movie. Interestingly, kid rangers act much better than adults (especially Kyoryuger. lol :laugh:).

The highlight of the movie is a roll-call around the end. Not only we get to see roll-call with two teams (that was missing from previous, where there was no Kyoryuger/Go-buster roll-call), but we also get nice bonus of 4 extra rangers (who came out of nowhere) AND Shadow Line which was really surprising.
IIRC, this is the first time in crossover movie where non-ranger villains gets to be in the roll-call, which was awesome!
Nero roll-call was spot on, where he nailed it masterfully! LOL :laugh:

6 ToQger + 10 Kyoryuger + 4 Shadow Line = 20; same number as crossovers (coincidence?)

It was nice and original that final fight is not a mecha fight, but a ground fight between giant (Devius) and rangers. Even though it was bit short, the battle itself was pretty decent.

The Ninninger cameo was held much better than ToQger in Kyoryuger vs. Go-busters, where they were shoved in after the credit, like Marvel movies. The action sequence was pretty entertaining and I like how they defeated the giant monster, where they shrunk it down, which was pretty clever; something that has yet to happen in the actual show. Probably one of the most clever method of introducing the new team, ever since it was implemented in Shinkenger vs. Go-onger. Too bad the actual show sucks (A LOT!), which I will discuss in different thread.

I like how Galaxy Line and Lady from summer movie made an appearance, which was a nice bonus. I was also surprised how Mikey, who appeared in 1 episode (15) gets have cameo as well, which was nice. It would have also been nice to see Ryo Knight for Tokatti, but that’s asking too much. :laugh:

Despite the praise I’ve given, there is some few weakness.
The biggest flaw is a main villain, Devius. I found his character to be surprisingly pretty bland, dull, and weak. In the final episode of Kyoryuger, it was stated that Creator (Devius) is something worse than Deboss, implying how threatful and powerful he/she is. Despite not liking the show, I was optimistic of would it turns out. I was really surprised how small his presence was throughout the movie and didn’t have much screen time, where he was there for last 15~20 minutes of the movie. Sentai crossover has been hit-and-miss in last few years, and sad to say, among them he is probably the least memorable. At least his suit design is nice; way better than butterfly faced Deboss. I really wanted to see more of him. Oh well.

I also didn’t like how Candelilla and Luckyro (two best characters from the show) had really small screen time. I would have love them to see interact with Wagon; I’m pretty sure they have enough imagination to get in Rainbow Line.

Despite the weakness/gripe I mention, this was still a very decent crossover movie I’ve seen in a while. As much as I really hated Kyoryuger, it was nice that movie filled blank left by *horrible* finale, where it wrapped up the loose end quite nicely; even though, I wished main villain was handled better. It has a good balance of “imagination” and “brave”. The story was structured better, humor was handled much better, and it was very entertaining. Personally, I haven’t seen crossover movie this good since Goseiger vs. Shinkenger.

Among the sentai crossover movies/specials I’ve seen so far, from highest tier (Megaranger vs. Carranger, Carranger vs. Ohranger, Timeranger vs. GoGoV) to lowest (Kyoryuger vs. Go-busters, Boukenger vs. Super Sentai, Magiranger vs. Dekaranger), this would probably go on to middle-to-high; around #10~#6.

See that Sanjo (writer of Kyoryuger)? This is how you make a good crossover movie!!

I’m looking forward to see them back in ToQger Returns and VS movie with Ninninger (hopefully, there won’t be 2 ninja teams (Kakuranger and Hurricanger) to interfere and overshadow ToQger; I don’t want to see another disastrous like last year (*cough* Kyoryuger vs. Go-busters).