Digimon Xros Wars (Season 6) - Talk it Up!...Again!

That's probably 45 million? 45 billion for a single franchise seems unlikely when this chart has all of fiscal 2006 pulling in 3.8 billion yen (unless I am reading it utterly wrong, which is possible).

If Frontier really pulled only 45 million yen in a single year... man, no wonder it killed the franchise. Xros Wars has beaten that in a single quarter despite having the worst timeslot in the universe.
Actually! Yeah, I read it wrong. Was looking at Frontier's Wiki and it's...

バンダイ総玩具売上45億円
So more like 4.5 billion yen? I think. Numbers confuse me enough in my native language.

But, yeah, if it was 45 million...wow. I'd be surprised that the show managed to run for as long as it did.

Soooo basically it made about 50 million US.
 
If they're making season 7 by the end of the Spring season, it's probably doing well. If not, we're screwed and we won't be getting a movie. :P

Yeah, I think that's dead-on. Whether or not Toei immediately greenlights a season 7 is going to say a lot about what these numbers really mean. If the brand goes back to the drawing board for more retooling, then Xros Wars wasn't what Toei wanted.

Timeslot changes are usually a bad thing. Not always, though-- Super Sentai, for one, survived a mid-series time slot change with Megaranger. (And then bounced back to very good ratings with Gingaman.) If Xros Wars's new timeslot stopped pre-empting the show, it might be an improvement.

So more like 4.5 billion yen? I think. Numbers confuse me enough in my native language.

Ah! Yes, that "45 hundred million" which would be written as 4.5 billion in English. Japanese counting is hell of confusing.

This is a very plausible figure. In the year Frontier came out, Digimon still would've been generating hefty global licensing revenue from the international Tamers release. Frontier also launched alongside an absolute ton of game, electronic, and CCG merchandise that wasn't tied directly to any particular show. All of that probably would've been lumped together under the Digimon brand.

(45 million sounded a bit too terrible to be real, to be honest.)

Man, no wonder the Toei shows are grinding out more and more toys from each property. If Digimon alone could pull 4.5 billion yen around 2004? That's more than all of Toei's animation properties put together in 2007. That is a genuinely massive decline.
 
Last edited:
Actually! Yeah, I read it wrong. Was looking at Frontier's Wiki and it's...


So more like 4.5 billion yen? I think. Numbers confuse me enough in my native language.

But, yeah, if it was 45 million...wow. I'd be surprised that the show managed to run for as long as it did.

Soooo basically it made about 50 million US.

That's 4.5 billion, yeah.
 
Thanks! The whole okuman thing was really confusing me. #_#
Yeah, I think that's dead-on. Whether or not Toei immediately greenlights a season 7 is going to say a lot about what these numbers really mean. If the brand goes back to the drawing board for more retooling, then Xros Wars wasn't what Toei wanted.

Timeslot changes are usually a bad thing. Not always, though-- Super Sentai, for one, survived a mid-series time slot change with Megaranger. (And then bounced back to very good ratings with Gingaman.) If Xros Wars's new timeslot stopped pre-empting the show, it might be an improvement.
I imagine we will likely hear about this in May or July if the series ends as that advance schedule has predicted. Might even hear rumblings of rumors a little earlier than that. It seems like they try to retool it each year with a new form of evolution or gimmick, but I can imagine Toei might not stick to the Xros format if this show doesn't do too well.

Well the slot it airs in now is considered a primetime slot isn't it? I thought that would have been good, but Xros Wars has been consistently getting lower ratings than the show that aired there before it. And by a pretty big margin.



4.5 billion is a very plausible figure. In the year Frontier came out, Digimon still would've been generating hefty global licensing revenue from the international Tamers release. Frontier also launched alongside an absolute ton of game, electronic, and CCG merchandise that wasn't tied directly to any particular show. All of that probably would've been lumped together under the Digimon brand.

(45 million sounded a bit too terrible to be real, to be honest.)

Man, no wonder the Toei shows are grinding out more and more toys from each property. If Digimon alone could pull 4.5 billion yen around 2004, that's more than all of Toei's animation properties put together in 2007. That is a genuinely massive decline.
I can imagine any economic changes that have been taking a toll on the world would do the same if they were reached that far into Japan. Pulled up the revenue for the other shows and...


Tamers: 78億円
Adventure 02: 144億円
Adventure: 160億円

The drop between Tamers and Frontier seems like nothing in comparison to Adventure 02 to Tamers. I imagine it wasn't so much that Frontier bombed (comparatively speaking) that killed Digimon, but that two years of severely decreased revenue that did it in.
I love how one square on that randomly says "Zatch Bell" xD
Haha, well Digimon did take its time slot. (it was Digimon 1~4, Zatch Bell, Savers, and now Dragonball Kai, but that's ending soon)
 
Last edited:
Might even hear rumblings of rumors a little earlier than that.

If Bandai wanted to start a new Digimon series this summer, it would need to be in pre-production now. So if we're getting something in 2011, I have no doubt that we'll see rumors well before Xros Wars ends.

Well the slot it airs in now is considered a primetime slot isn't it?

It is, but Japanese programming is kind of odd in that not all prime time slots are equally good. The best metaphor I can think of for it is American programming.

In American TV, 8 PM slots are usually considered the best prime time slots, but most producers would rather air a show at 9 PM on Monday than 8 PM on Saturday... since more people overall watch TV on Monday evenings than Saturday evenings.

Japanese viewers watch TV at really odd times compared to their American counterparts-- having the big kids block on Sunday morning, having one of the biggest anime timeslots in early Saturday evening, etc.

Tamers: 78億円
Adventure 02: 144億円
Adventure: 160億円

Man, I'd love to see what Toei's overall numbers looked like in these years. Toei was probably making money off of its animation division that's just completely unthinkable now.
 
Well, actually, if a new season was going to start after Xros Wars, it would be in September. The leaked schedule would have the series end somewhere around Q3 2011
 
I thought Zatch Bell ended a long time ago. lol

It aired when Frontier ended and concluded when Savers began. From what I know, the manga continued on and later finished.

I remember years back, people were bewildered when it was said there should be 6/7/8 seasons and it was discovered people were confusing series with season or some such.

If there's another series, would it take a page out of Super Sentai and do crossovers with the previous show? They don't have to be in continuity (The Vs. movies don't seem to be), but it's already been established that there is a Digimon multiverse, so they could pull "Interdimensional threat appears gazillions times until the anniversary, in which case all those dimensional threats screwed with reality and it would have to be fixed in a way that would make sure they all will never see each other again!!!! Except yes."

I also wonder if Digimon and Precure crossovers would be possible. Would there be a fear the cooties would scare off the boys?

Also rainmon got some scans of March V-Jump: http://bokutachinodigitalworld.blogspot.com/2011/02/tv-magazinemarch-issue-magazine-scans.html

No mention of Real World arc though those pages might not have been scanned/translated yet.
 
Crossovers like that happened every year in V-Tamer. Taichi met at least some of the cast of Adventure - Frontier. I guess they could at least make it work in the Xros Wars manga.

Now, I like X4b, I like X5. But whhhhhy do they need to put them together like that! I hope its only a one time thing. It just makes me worried we'll get things like X5k, X5m, and even X5bksmsdgm + Cyber Cannon + A monitamon riding it.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top