The JAPANESE SUPERHEROES! Show in San Francisco: July 9, 2010!

"Unassuming public"? What are you talking about? Do you think that people are just going to wander into the theater off of the street like zombies?

Uh yeah, that's how you get new people interested in it. XD

August said:
"But don't be surprised if you see at least one person do some lame MMPR mock impression or something."

What does that mean? If someone disrupts the show, I'll show them the door (I've worked plenty of nightclub security gigs in my time). If they want to be a jerk about it, they can talk to me outside the theater... LOL!

Take this as an example: [hide]I did a Power Point presentation last semester with a topic being a successful person (which btw, got an A on ^^). I picked Yutaka Hirose and had chosen 2 scenes to show.

One was the scene in Liveman ep. 1 where he reveals himself and his 2 partners to the Liveman group (cutting off right before the Liveman henshin), the other one was a big fight in DaiRanger ep. 39.

The first clip played no problem but, the 2nd episode didn't play right so I had to play the video straight-forward (didn't finish it either, time-constraints and all. ._.). This one guy comes in during Liveman and during the Dai OP wonders aloud "What is this? Asian Power Rangers?" (There was also a "Yellow's a boy in this?" from him too but, that's besides the point). I changed windows and tried explaining how the adapting worked and all, then played the episode. Lot of the papers I got back had "there are Japanese power rangers" under the "What did you learn?" area.[/hide]

PS: I'm not trying to hate on your idea, just putting in my 2cents.
 
I do wish more events like this happened on the East Coast. If there are, I guess I totally missed it.



I couldn't agree more with this point. I think it's cool what is being done with this event, and everyone behind it should definitely be applauded. But flaunting your seniority just to say that newer fans are taking things for granted doesnt really spread the love for the genre. If you were told that when you first got into this fandom, you'd think the person saying it is a bit of a douche and would probably color your judgement of both the content and the fandom that is into it.

Also, how is promoting things online a bad thing? I'm pretty sure like 75% or more of the fandom got into it that way.

Everything August does is to spread the love of toku.
 
Remember when it was just the alt.tv.sentai place? Or the odd issue of Sentai magazine?

Okay, maybe that was just for me, I was a young lad and could only get my hands on Sentai all of two times. I may only be 21, but I have been into tokusatsu of all sorts since I was young starting with my first Godzilla movie and first series, Ultra Seven, but for some reason the whole "I've been into this longer than you / younger fans take things for granted" thing isn't isolated to the tokusasu fandom and I always get the feeling it can alienate some newer fans.

Yeah, I started off with Godzilla to. The one I remember the most is the one with Jet Jaguar in it (Mistook him for Ultraman, though I don't recall watching Ultraman at all at that age. So how I knew his name is a guess to me). I was of course, like most 90's children, weened on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and the partially obscure Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad (My one true life's love)

Masked Rider (though corny as hell) fascinated me to no end. He seemed stronger and far superior to his multicolored counterparts. When I first discovered Tokusatu back in 05 or 06, Masked Rider was the first thing that I looked up and I soon discovered it's Eastern origins and fell in love with the franchise. Black became "my rider" until I was adventurous enough to discover episodes 1-3 of Den-O on Youtube (This was before I came across TV Nihon and other Fan sub groups).

Until I met my friend Chris, I was just that weird kid who liked Power Rangers more than he should. I felt alone and slightly awkward to talk about my obession, until that fateful afternoon when we met by chance when a youth group conversation turned from X-Men to Power Rangers.

I swear, as NSFW as this sounds, talking to him about Tokusatu in general was better than sex. I soon became a mad freak about everything Toku which brings me to where I am today, a slightly knowledgable Rider fanboy with an almost sick obession with Denkou Choujin Gridman

I love this genre and I hope that nothing will change that
 
I know that. I just think that intonation he puts in some of his posts sorta pulls that down a few pegs, which I think is a shame cuz he does do some good work.

You're READING the intonation; I'm not responsible for that—the reader attaches the voice—I'm just typing words. No biggie. I bare you no grudge for doing so. If you ever met me in person, you would see that is not the case, and we've have a laugh over a beer about it.

As for stating who I am and what I've accomplished, I'm only responding those who are saying, "Oh, good idea, but this will fail", because they don't know some of the people involved in fandom and what their creds are. And, they have no idea on the background of events in San Francisco. Not everyone is familiar with me, and I'm not assuming that they are. So, it's just stated for the record and for those who don't know—not to lord it over anyone.

Here's another case where people read into things that aren't there—again, no harm, no foul—I never put down promoting on the internet. Hell, I've been doing that for the better part of 12 years. I was saying that it seems that's all there is, so why is promoting toku in the real world (i.e. this event, etc.) a bad thing, and why aren't people doing more? Which is what they should be doing—exploiting all media to promote toku.

Look what it did for anime fandom?

Uh yeah, that's how you get new people interested in it. XD

Uh, not quite. People who are interested, show up, if they aren't into superheroes or Japanese pop culture, probably won't and never would watch toku on their own in the first place. The people coming to this would be those interesting in hearing about it. So, yours is a moot point.

Take this as an example: I did a Power Point presentation last semester... This one guy comes in during Liveman and during the Dai OP wonders aloud "What is this? Asian Power Rangers?"

You're talking about a college presentation in a classroom; we're presenting a professional lecture in a theater setting. The people who will be coming are their to hear about the subject on hand (this isn't the first one we've done), not interrupt us by yelling, "San Dimas High School Football rules!" LOL!

PS: I'm not trying to hate on your idea, just putting in my 2cents.

It's not an "idea", this part of an on-going lecture series (hence "Vol. 5"), please leave the worry to us—and you can keep your .02¢, thanks! :P

P.S. Sorry, if some of this seems short; I've been responding while sick with a cold or flu (it just started coming on last night), so I apologize for any misunderstanding arising out of my posts.
 
Last edited:
You don't have to apologize for anything august. Just keep doing what you do best.

Dude, thanks! And keep up the great work with the fansubbing—one of the BEST ways of promoting this genre, especially when so many people tell me that their stumbling block is the language barrier (although, back in the early days of tape trading, we were grateful to get 3-gen VHS or Beta tapes of anything from Japan, watched 'em raw, and LOVED them).
 
Dude, thanks! And keep up the great work with the fansubbing—one of the BEST ways of promoting this genre, especially when so many people tell me that their stumbling block is the language barrier (although, back in the early days of tape trading, we were grateful to get 3-gen VHS or Beta tapes of anything from Japan, watched 'em raw, and LOVED them).

Well I am not into fansubbing as heavily as I used to be, but the guys I am working with on flashman are dedicated.

I do help by encoding and uploading raw toku. I just hope that at least gets toku out there more :/
 
#1 this is a really cool thing to happen. Hope it does well and opens up some avenues as far maybe getting some tokusatsu media (subbed of course) here.

#2 heh , just curious I don't like PR or sentai , but should PR still be considered "Japanese Superhero/s" ? ...I mean if someone filmed a bunch of (insert country of choice here/non-Japanese) people in some scenes, edited in some Ultraman 'action scenes' and call it "Redsilver" Is it still Japanese ?
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top