The JAPANESE SUPERHEROES! Show in San Francisco: July 9, 2010!

Eye See You
Lots of negativity here... What's up with you people? Funny reactions from people love this stuff...

ATTENTION THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW ME: I've been watching Tokusatsu before y'all were born. It's a known fact that these shows are made for children. But, because of the high-quality of the production and writing, Japanese kids shows have always been light-years ahead of what has been produced in other countries, which is why they KICK ASS. That's why I love this stuff—always have, because I grew up with it. But, that still doesn't take away the fact that they are made for Japanese kids. "Made For Kids" doesn't mean "lame". That's not denigrating the shows, it's just a fact. Period.

Now, BLACK FANG: You obviously don't know anything about San Francisco. People are very hip to Japanese pop culture, here. We've had Japanese Superheroes on TV here for decades. In the 1970s, we were watching GORANGER and KIKAIDA on television with English subtitles (as well as anime series like BRAVE RAIDEEN and CAPTAIN HARLOCK), while we also got the English dubbed versions of SPECTREMAN, ULTRAMAN, JOHNNY SOKKO and THE SPACE GIANTS as well.

"But don't be surprised if you see at least one person do some lame MMPR mock impression or something."

What does that mean? If someone disrupts the show, I'll show them the door (I've worked plenty of nightclub security gigs in my time). If they want to be a jerk about it, they can talk to me outside the theater... LOL!

VITOR... I'm not a hater. I'm a historian. Apparently, you don't know about all the work I've done (for more than 30 years to promote tokusatsu in the US, and all the DVDs I've worked on for US release: KIKAIDA, KAMEN RIDER V3, KIKAIDA 01, INAZUMAN, IRON KING and SUPER ROBOT: RED BARON, etc.). I've been "in here" posting longer than you have, and have been showing this stuff and talking about it at art galleries, film festivals, and conventions for more than twenty years. I've been hosting "Japanese Superheroes: NOW!" at WonderCon every year since 1994.

I also lived in Tokyo in the late 1980s and met a lot of the people who created these shows, including Shotaro Ishimori, who gave us Kamen Rider (among others), and I return there as often as I can. Over the years, I've been on the sets for many series and movies, and again, people in San Francisco are a lot hipper than in Podunk went it comes to Japanese pop culture, anime, tokusatsu, etc. We've done a lot of these types of shows in the past, including a big Godzilla film festival for the 50th Anniversary in 2004. The first Superhero Show Patrick Macias and I did was WAY back in 1994, called THE POWER RANGERS DE-CONSTRUCTED: THE HISTORY OF THE JAPANESE SUPERHERO, a sold out event at the Artists Television Access, to educate people about the origin of these shows and why the Japanese versions are far superior.

As for this upcoming event, the fact of the matter is that VIZ Cinema invited Patrick Macias to put on these TOKYOSCOPE shows, and they is supported by VIZ Meida and the local Japanese community (there's a big ex-pat Japanese population in the San Francisco Bay Area), and there are a lot of tokusatsu fans here, too.

So, don't bust the chops of people who actually get off their asses and do something to promote this stuff outside of the internet. I just don't get the vitriol... What have you done lately?

:castlerock::castlerock::castlerock::castlerock::castlerock:

I love this.

Welcome to Old School, you bitches.

"Shocker Gundan, Banzai!"
Thanks Forever Knight! No one's going to tell me that I'm not a hardcore fan and I don't love this stuff to death! :p

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
No one's going to tell me that I'm not a hardcore fan and I don't love this stuff to death! :p

You're not a hardcore fan and you don't love this stuff to death :laugh:

Lots of negativity here... What's up with you people? Funny reactions from people love this stuff...

ATTENTION THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW ME: I've been watching Tokusatsu before y'all were born. It's a known fact that these shows are made for children. But, because of the high-quality of the production and writing, Japanese kids shows have always been light-years ahead of what has been produced in other countries, which is why they KICK ASS. That's why I love this stuff—always have, because I grew up with it. But, that still doesn't take away the fact that they are made for Japanese kids. "Made For Kids" doesn't mean "lame". That's not denigrating the shows, it's just a fact. Period.

Now, BLACK FANG: You obviously don't know anything about San Francisco. People are very hip to Japanese pop culture, here. We've had Japanese Superheroes on TV here for decades. In the 1970s, we were watching GORANGER and KIKAIDA on television with English subtitles (as well as anime series like BRAVE RAIDEEN and CAPTAIN HARLOCK), while we also got the English dubbed versions of SPECTREMAN, ULTRAMAN, JOHNNY SOKKO and THE SPACE GIANTS as well.

"But don't be surprised if you see at least one person do some lame MMPR mock impression or something."

What does that mean? If someone disrupts the show, I'll show them the door (I've worked plenty of nightclub security gigs in my time). If they want to be a jerk about it, they can talk to me outside the theater... LOL!

VITOR... I'm not a hater. I'm a historian. Apparently, you don't know about all the work I've done (for more than 30 years to promote tokusatsu in the US, and all the DVDs I've worked on for US release: KIKAIDA, KAMEN RIDER V3, KIKAIDA 01, INAZUMAN, IRON KING and SUPER ROBOT: RED BARON, etc.). I've been "in here" posting longer than you have, and have been showing this stuff and talking about it at art galleries, film festivals, and conventions for more than twenty years. I've been hosting "Japanese Superheroes: NOW!" at WonderCon every year since 1994.

I also lived in Tokyo in the late 1980s and met a lot of the people who created these shows, including Shotaro Ishimori, who gave us Kamen Rider (among others), and I return there as often as I can. Over the years, I've been on the sets for many series and movies, and again, people in San Francisco are a lot hipper than in Podunk went it comes to Japanese pop culture, anime, tokusatsu, etc. We've done a lot of these types of shows in the past, including a big Godzilla film festival for the 50th Anniversary in 2004. The first Superhero Show Patrick Macias and I did was WAY back in 1994, called THE POWER RANGERS DE-CONSTRUCTED: THE HISTORY OF THE JAPANESE SUPERHERO, a sold out event at the Artists Television Access, to educate people about the origin of these shows and why the Japanese versions are far superior.

As for this upcoming event, the fact of the matter is that VIZ Cinema invited Patrick Macias to put on these TOKYOSCOPE shows, and they is supported by VIZ Meida and the local Japanese community (there's a big ex-pat Japanese population in the San Francisco Bay Area), and there are a lot of tokusatsu fans here, too.

So, don't bust the chops of people who actually get off their asses and do something to promote this stuff outside of the internet. I just don't get the vitriol... What have you done lately?

... My hero! :wub:

has left HJU. Not coming back.
Damn, I wish I have enough money to go there. Plus, the poster is beautiful.

We need more Tokusatsu here in U.S! More Kamen Rider! More Ultraman! Maybe Super Sentai? Probably not gonna happen.

Well said! :buttrock:

Banned
Yeah, I don't think many Toku fans are gonna find this worth spending $10 bucks on and I don't even see this as being of any remote interest to the public in general

This is stuff best saved for a Con

Don't make the mistake of speaking for toku fans. You have no clue as to what toku fans who really love this still will or will not do. That is evident by your post.

and august, just ignore black fang.

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
Don't make the mistake of speaking for toku fans. You have no clue as to what toku fans who really love this still will or will not do. That is evident by your post.

I believe that I was stating my own opinion, not speaking for the majority

I'm not saying that if it sells out, I'll be surprised

It looks like a well done spectacle and might do great if the interest of the unassuming public is there

Eye See You
Thanks Forever Knight! No one's going to tell me that I'm not a hardcore fan and I don't love this stuff to death! :p

I'd love to see anyone actually try. But you've seen what this entire fandom has degenerated to. It's the true fans like u, Kingranger, myself, Shougo, and some others that what help even keep me interested in reading other opinions on these forums still.

:laugh:

"Shocker Gundan, Banzai!"
...and august, just ignore black fang.

LOL! Thanks!

Glad to see you have a sense of humor...

I believe that I was stating my own opinion, not speaking for the majority

Based on what? To quote Harlan Ellison: "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."

I'm not saying that if it sells out, I'll be surprised

What does that mean? Why would you be surprised when you don't know what you're talking about?

It looks like a well done spectacle and might do great if the interest of the unassuming public is there

"Unassuming public"? What are you talking about? Do you think that people are just going to wander into the theater off of the street like zombies? I don't think you really know what you're talking about, because your comments make no sense.

No offense.

Eye See You
Aug, dude... seriously.... You have no need to defend anything...

This **** is almost halarious.

Onto more important ****, when u signing my Gamera DVD, Gamera vs. Baru DVD, and the other projects, and the book?.