The JAPANESE SUPERHEROES! Show in San Francisco: July 9, 2010!

"Shocker Gundan, Banzai!"
JapaneseSuperheroesShow-sm.jpg

TokyoScope Vol.5: JAPANESE SUPERHEROES!
Hosted by Patrick Macias, August Ragone, and Tomohiro Machiyama
Friday, July 9th at 7:00pm-9:00pm
VIZ Cinema
1746 Post Street
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415) 525-8630

Ultraman! Kamen Rider! The Power Rangers! These and many other colorful crusaders of justice are now recognized the world over as essential icons of Japanese pop culture. But where did they come from? Who created them? And what is it really like battling rubber monsters and the forces of evil on a regular basis? Join hosts Patrick Macias (editor, Otaku USA magazine), August Ragone (author, Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters), and Tomohiro Machiyama (founding editor, Movie Treasures magazine) as they explore the fascinating history and origins of Japanese superheroes using rare film clips and images from numerous tokusatsu, sentai, and henshin hero productions including Ultra Seven, Kikaida, Space Sheriff Gavan, and many others. Admission $10. Presented by Otaku USA.

WIN FREE TICKETS—click here!
http://www.newpeopleworld.com/upcom...ets-to-tokyoscope-vol-5-japanese-superheroes/

I resent how it says 'The Power Rangers!' oh so gleefully.

but hey, if it'll open up toku to fresh people, i think i can let that slide. xD

That's the press release—you have to give a reference that they can relate to, otherwise they say, "What?" If you say POWER RANGERS, people say, "I see." But, you seemed to miss that the poster proudly states "SUPER SENTAI". I've been into this stuff for more than 30 years (since I was a kid), so trust me—we're experts. :p

^ I know, and I do understand. I just can't help but comment on it.

that poster is bitchin' though. props for that.

I don't really mean anything bad by it, I like PR just as much as I like SS, I wouldn't know about all these other cool toku without PR. It just broke my train of thought, is all. Hence the comment. And I did miss the giant white text that says Super Sentai. I was distracted by the art. xD

I think he means that PR immediately has a bad connotation in many laypeople's minds when you bring it up in a toku-related thing. "Oh it's just Japanese PR, cheesy kids' stuff" and the like. People may not take what is to be said seriously.

I think he means that PR immediately has a bad connotation in many laypeople's minds when you bring it up in a toku-related thing. "Oh it's just Japanese PR, cheesy kids' stuff" and the like. People may not take what is to be said seriously.

I understood that. I didn't ask what he meant, I asked what his point was. A lot of fans, such as yourself, are too close to this stuff to be objective or see the Bigger Picture, sometimes. Despite the "negative" connotation of "Power Rangers" versus the Japanese originals, the General Public still needs a reference point.

If you say, "Tokusatsu", they will stare at you with a blank expression. Remember, people this is only a Press Release, no need to make a mountain out of a molehill. You people sometimes get so hung up on semantics, that you miss the forest for the trees.

This event should be celebrated, not nitpicked apart (for one mention of "Power Rangers" in a press release). BTW, these shows are made for kids. ;)

Now this something I could possibly attend. Since I live in Texas, California isn't that far away. The admission price is fair, too. The only problem I would have is securing transportation. That's always the problem I have.

The flier is interesting too. A raffle? I wonder what that will be.

Also, VIZ Cinema? Is that the same thing as VIZ Media?