EDIT:

Okay, I saw Gatchaman. There were so many differences from the source material, but I didn't really have a problem with those. For some reason I saw the plot twist coming a mile away, and the crazy love triangle weirdness that I'd expect coming from Gatchaman comes out of nowhere.

The suits are weird.... more Iron Man-ish than ninja. The fights in-suit were either CGI-fests or something like Garo fights, and few and far in-between. Also, the Phoenix, and its cockpit seemed to be added as an after-thought rather than as an integral part of Gatchaman.

I've never seen the Gatchaman anime, but I really did enjoy this film regardless of the exaggerated bad review. (screw anime elitists!) I think you're not the only one who could foresee the plot twist, because I did as well. I mean, it was quite easy to see that the woman wasn't really 100% dead. thinking of it now... it's as if the script writer was a big fan of Jetman and decided to adapt the "Rie turned into Maria" and the love triangle ideas. :laugh:

hence why it wasn't fully titled Kagaku Ninja-tai Gatchaman, but they've done some references here and there. I personally love the suits and the CG quality is almost Hollywood standard IMO. don't tell me it wasn't fun seeing half of Tokyo getting smashed up!

Yeah, the big-scale fight was really fun. I really wish there were more of those. And I think they nailed the iconic Gatchaman dive (the one with wings spread apart), plus the one including the Phoenix. I came into the movie only having read the bad reviews, and I got to say I enjoyed it more than those reviews implied I would.

They really downplayed the bird theme, though. There was no moment where "Ken is an Eagle" came to mind, and there were lots of times I thought "OKay, what bird is Jun supposed to be again?"

I think that movie may have benefited from more action less drama. I think they spent so much time with the villain trying to get both Jo and Ken to despair.

Last edited:
my only complain is their casting choice for Jun. I never really liked Goriki Ayame and she was seriously sticking out like a sore thumb in a supposedly dark and gritty movie.

Speaking of Gouriki, I just watched Kuroshitsuji. This was a markedly different character than the other ones I've seen of her (Aside from Gatchaman, Watashi no Kirai na Tantei). I personally don't mind her, as I like her as the quirky girl trying to be cute, but I now understand the problem: She just lacks any sort of sexual appeal, whether she's playing a girl or a girl pretending to be a boy.

I mean it's not important to a lot of people, but there are a couple of scenes in Kuroshitsuji that need to have a sort of sexual chemistry to have an impact, and she just falls flat. Ah well, maybe it's just me.

Okay, now back to Kuroshitsuji.

I haven't seen the manga/anime so I come to this on a clean slate. Again the plot twist was something I saw coming a mile away (I think I've gotten way used to Japanese films), and it wasn't resolved fully.

The butler itself is a confusing character... His motivations are left vague enough, and it's not really all too different from Hiro Mizushima's character in Mei-chan no Shitsuji. I guess that's as far as you go because I think his backstory is too difficult to be expounded on in one film.

I can hardly care for Kiyoharu... I actually cared more for the villain and Lin. Speaking of which, Lin's actress is quite a beauty. This is my first time ever seeing her, and she's hiding behind glasses and a maid costume but it clearly shows.

The action is top-notch though, and the villains plan is quite unique, so overall I thought it was a decent watch.

She just lacks any sort of sexual appeal, whether she's playing a girl or a girl pretending to be a boy.

I've not seen Kuroshitsuji, but this. definitely this. I've only seen her roles in Taisetsu na Koto wa Kimi ga Oshiete Kureta and Asuko March. when I saw her again in Gatchaman for the first time in almost 3 years, I was thinking "Oh gawd, this girl's acting hasn't changed at all."

if I had to compare, her friendly rival Takei Emi is slightly more versatile in terms of roles. at least she doesn't stick out too much if she was placed in a serious or comedic drama/movie.