Kamen Rider Drive - News/Rumours Thread 1

It's Kamen Rider because that is the brand name that Bandai license for their toyline, and they want a show to promote it. People are more likely to buy familiar brand names. If Bandai didn't think the name would help with that, they would tell Ishimori to take a hike, stop spending money to license the name and end the franchise in favour of "Kamen Driver" or some other brand new show.
I reiterate what I said: Just have the guts to take the risk, Toei, Bandai and/or whomever it may apply to.

EDIT: I went and searched for ''riding a car'' and variations of that, and apparently when you say you ride a car it means you are there as a passenger, but if you're driving it, then you can only be a driver and not a rider.
I swear, I will actually ask this to every teacher and classmate I come across tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
I reiterate what I said: Just have the guts to take the risk, Toei, Bandai and/or whomever it may apply to.
Kamen Rider is Bandai Japan's second best selling toy brand (after Gundam). It's a heck of an ask to risk billions of yen on a name change.

With long running franchises, so long as the property continues to entertain them people generally accept that a name becomes an artifact title when the franchise grows beyond it's original boundaries. The Avengers generally aren't out to get vengance on anyone anymore, Star Trek fans have long joked that it's been years since the franchise portrayed any trekking between the stars, and entire generations are mostly unaware that the Looney Tunes series was meant to showcase the music in Warner Brothers' catalogue.

Kamen Rider has been re-inventing itself in every other respect, and will continue to do so. To me, this is just another part of that but YMMV.
EDIT: I went and searched for ''riding a car'' and variations of that, and apparently when you say you ride a car it means you are there as a passenger, but if you're driving it, then you can only be a driver and not a rider.
I swear, I will actually ask this to every teacher and classmate I come across tomorrow.
I've heard of riding in a car. Maybe it's just more common to say that here in England though?
 
Last edited:
Kamen Rider is Bandai Japan's second best selling toy brand (after Gundam). It's a heck of an ask to risk billions of yen on a name change.
I was thinking more on the mentality that Kamen Rider has been more like Metal Heroes since Agito/Ryuki (hence why I said it's been around for over a decade, heck there's some that think BLACK RX was too much of a metal hero). So, if anything, I was suggesting they go back to that brand name rather than introducing a new one.

I should clarify I don't think any of the Riders who have been called Metal Heroes are not deserving of the Kamen Rider name, but I do think the people that say this have a very valid point.

With long running franchises, so long as the property continues to entertain them people generally accept that a name becomes an artifact title when the franchise grows beyond it's original boundaries. The Avengers generally aren't out to get vengance on anyone anymore, Star Trek fans have long joked that it's been years since the franchise portrayed any trekking between the stars, and very few people seem to remember that the Looney Tunes series was meant to showcase the music in Warner Brothers' catalogue.
Call what I'll say a stretch if you must, and forgive me if I make any mistakes since I don't know as much about the properties you mentioned:

-The Avengers (and I'm basing this on the movies only since I haven't seen much of comics/cartoons/etc.) have lost people in their lives and one could say that their heroic actions could have been avenging them in a way.
And if that is not enough, there's also what Stark said to Loki: ''If we can't save the earth, you can be damn well sure we'll avenge it.''

-What is a ''Trek'' anyway? I went to look the definition of this too and it says it's a journey, mostly done on foot. A ship flying to reach a destination or discover something new is taking a journey, is it not? So they are indeed taking a Trek through the Stars; and they still set foot on planets and other stars here and there. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

-AFAIK all Looney Tunes cartoons have background music, so they are still showcasing the catalogue, aren't they?

I've heard of riding in a car. Maybe it's just more common to say that here in England though?
I'll definitely look into that.
 
Khaiden, while I see your point, are you sure you're not taking this a shade too seriously?

EDIT: Although that said, you're not talking about sending death threats, so you're clearly not taking it as seriously as some in this thread.
 
Last edited:
Lets get off this topic and talk about some rumours from the two people who originally said what Drive looked like and his gimmick.

zQacw/7nsedJ said:
When Drive changes Type his body colour changes of course but his appearance is also dramatically altered. The tire on Drive switches from being diagonal on the chest to other places on the armour. It seems to go on either the top of his head or to his shoulder depending on the Type.

[… Talks a little about how weird the Door Gun motif is.]

Mashin Chaser transforms without a Driver. His bike seems huge. It looks like he uses a bow and arrow-like weapon? Probably due to the Sonic Arrow’s sales.

FIqyFr3nB said:
Oh yeah, that’s right. I saw the design of the mid-season form.

The suit changes to a racing silver while the red armour remains the same. Eyes change to blue. The tire is also on his shoulder(?). The name of this form is Type Dead Heat.
 
I was thinking more on the mentality that Kamen Rider has been more like Metal Heroes since Agito/Ryuki (hence why I said it's been around for over a decade, heck there's some that think BLACK RX was too much of a metal hero). So, if anything, I was suggesting they go back to that brand name rather than introducing a new one.

I should clarify I don't think any of the Riders who have been called Metal Heroes are not deserving of the Kamen Rider name, but I do think the people that say this have a very valid point.

Well, as early as V3, the titular Rider wasn't actually Masked, since the helmet was supposed to be V3's real face after he became a cyborg.

Anyway, I really disagree with the Metal Hero comparisons. Design-wise, even in Drive, the armors are still mostly chest plate, gloves and boots, which is overall very light for a Metal Hero, which are known for full body armors, covering the entire legs, arms, chest and crotch. Only Jiraya and Blue Swat are comparable to the armor set up used by most Heisei Riders, and those certainly aren't what people usually associate with Metal Heroes either.

The Heisei Rider series moved away from super human protagonists starting from Ryuki, being often just heroes in armor, but that's just broadening itself, it's not like they started aping Metal Hero story concepts as replacement for Riders'. The heroes are generally still lone heroes against big organizations, not members of big organizations themselves; There's still effort generally placed into tying the heroes and villains too, rather than going for random criminals or unrelated aliens.

Drive, at this point, seems to go counter most of that though, aside from the design, but we're talking here without even watching the show itself. They've given some signs that Drive might end up having to operate without the backing of most of the police anyway, like his W-like informants and the boss of his division disliking the entire thing.
 
Death threats.
... Really.

Wouldn't surprise me.
Hideaki Anno got some regarding the TV Ending of Evangelion (they say you can see some of them during "End of Eva" but, I'm not sure on that).
I think Aya Hirano (Maybe some other idol? NateRiver can correct me if I'm wrong here) got some only for saying that she had a boyfriend & not being the Otaku's "pure idol angel!".

Also, just look here; Japanese media can be very weird sometimes....
 
RjeR676.avif


The suit looks amazing
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top