When you punch a guy in the throat, he's not gonna want to fight anymore.
Fixed. :)

The ol' bucket o' knuckles to the trachea is amazingly effective. Good luck pulling it off on anyone who's even remotely interested in avoiding windpipe collapse, though. That's one of those 'instinctively protect this' regions.

boogie woogie feng shui
I consider pro wrestling a fighting style. When you look at how it evolved and from what, it makes a lot of sense as a form of MMA, not to mention how it's treated more as a combat sport in Japan. Most of the major takedowns, strikes, and submissions in pro wrestling were culled from preexisting disciplines and then just altered to look good and be safely performed in the ring. I've heard many stories of pro wrestlers taking down two or more attackers at once in bar fights and the like. Never with a springboard hurricanrana, but what can ya do.

@ Kibapower: Keep practicing those forms. In fact, practice them harder than you do anything else. I was like you when I started learning TKD. I thought forms were useless groupings of random techniques combined to impress an audience, when in reality, forms are not only a way of teaching you do act without thought (ideally, forms/styles/katas are meant to be performed without conscious thought as to the next action) but of making each and every technique perfect, and also teaches you to transition from one type of strike, stance, or block to another more effectively. Unless you practice at a school that does musical forms. That's just some bullshit.

Faded.Memories said:
I don't know styles. I really don't. But like I said, I think Drunken Style looks so awesome. (And here's me trying to sound all knowledgeable and impress Bolt

I love how the body and style is so limp and flexible and seems off balance, but its actually completely stable and balanced. I love how they can go from "Oops I fell over," to " HAI-YA TO YOUR FACE!"

So yeah. ^_^

Zui-quan is truly one of China's greatest novelties. :anime:

Faded, if you haven't already, I command you to watch both Jackie Chan Drunken Master films. The second one (Legend of the Drunken Master in the States) especially is an all-time classic and has some of the most creative drunken boxing choreography ever committed to film.

Edit: Haha, good call ODP!

Not-So-Rabid Blade Fangirl
I've been taking Hapkido for about three years, at this point. I mostly do it to keep active and try to stay in shape, because I am *horrible* at sparring. Seriously. Just about every time I do it I injure myself. I've lost count of the times I've sprained an ankle and stuff like that. I love practicing all the kicks and punches, but I think I'd only use the joint locks if I actually got jumped in an alley.

boogie woogie feng shui
Joint locks are great, but to me they're like cheese. You can't make a complete dinner out of just cheese. In a fighting situation, strikes are your big slab of steak; they're what get the job done fastest and most decisively. Grappling and submission skill is like your potatoes and veggies; you need them to get vitamins and **** and they help fill you up. Joint locks are like grated cheese, or gravy or something. Delicious, but not enough on its own.

joint locks are good but a fast fighter or a flexible fighter can easily counter that.

hell i still haven't been able to fully lock in an arm bar on one of my sparring mates because he's able to twist his arm freakishly well

grappling takes patience, from what i've seen you play defensively until you see an opening in your opponent and then go for the kill. waiting for them to attack, then hitting them with a submission or chokehold as they attack

best offense is a patient defense

at least that's what i've observed

boogie woogie feng shui
Impulse87 said:
best offense is a patient defense

I would generally agree. Some of my best-landed strikes have been thrown simultaneously to the opponent's strike, because that's when their defense is absolutely the weakest. I don't care how hard you practice, there's no way to make your defense 100% while you're commited to an offensive maneuver, and vice versa. Sometimes you get lucky and land a good shot that drops of incapacitates the opponent, and sometimes you fight tentatively for minutes on end and never land a single blow. It's all very chancey.

Not-So-Rabid Blade Fangirl
True about the joint locks. I just get irritated that we're not allowed to use them at all during sparring, even though a lot of the stuff we're doing right now (I'm a brown belt) involve joint locks when a punch gets thrown at you. But of course I love all the strikes and such. I'm not too great at kicks, which is even worse because my sparring parnter is absolutely amazing at them. He's the kind of guy who executed a perfect spinning hook kick his first try by accident. :redface2:

Funny thing about joint locks is that not all of them work on everyone. During one belt test, I had to tap out of a few shoulder-twisty ones where he never did manage to make them work on me. He could do them on the instructor just fine, just for some reason my shoulder could bend in such a way where it didn't hurt. :p

boogie woogie feng shui
Well, you also have to keep in mind that joint locks aren't really meant to be incapacitating moves unless you get to some of the bigger joints and most of the time that involves grappling. Generally small-joint manipulation is more suited for lower-risk scenarios, like breaking up fights and controlling unruly drunks, or as a temporary escape or way of stunning the opponent before delivering a strike.