In Justice, We Trust!
I use to do martial arts, did Karate for and Shoalin for a few years before stopping.

The Ends JustiΦ's the Means
Mmmmmnaaaawwww! You flatter me, but you're so wrong. :laugh:

Martial arts is a passion of mine though, and I love learning new ways to abuse my fellow man. It's been almost four years since I've practiced a new style, but I still try to get out there and train my Sanshou, Muay Thai and boxing at least once a week.

One thing in the martial universe I've never done is study a classical Chinese style. I would love to learn some Changquan, Hung Gar, and Chen style Tai Chi someday. But it's going to have to wait until after I pass the 100 man Kyokushin kumite, knock out Floyd Mayweather, and learn the art of Zulu spear fighting.

haha, I got the Zulu spear fighting down already. :laugh:

Ive never really had the money when i was younger to get lessons in a martial arts skill. So, so far ive only trained in the art of Bruce Lee and jackie chan movie kung fu. :p But, I really love everything about martial arts. And, I hope one day when Im not a broke mofo, Ill take some classes. Ive always wanted to learn Tae Kwon Do as well as some Chinese Martial arts. I guess for now Ill just read Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kun Do and try my best to imitate whats in there.

Bolt definitely should put out a video of him doin some martial arts moves. If he sucks, we can all laugh at him. :laugh: j/k. But one person who is really good is Bueno. Ive seen most of his videos and he's got talent.

boogie woogie feng shui
Yeah, I miss Bueno. I know he started working with a stunt team in Japan so that's probably where all his time has gone.

Inui Takumi said:
haha, I got the Zulu spear fighting down already. :laugh:

Teach me!!!

Yeah, I miss Bueno. I know he started working with a stunt team in Japan so that's probably where all his time has gone.

Teach me!!!

Maybe he's a kamen rider and we dont know it. haha

Zulu spear fighting aint something you can just pick up. It takes a lot of practice and hard work. I think I learned it in 15 mins.

Okay, so I got a question for all the Martial arts buffs here: Whats you're favorite fighting style? Both in real-life competition/practice and what looks best on film?

Okay, so I got a question for all the Martial arts buffs here: Whats you're favorite fighting style? Both in real-life competition/practice and what looks best on film?

Karate. I find it absolutely beautiful that an art that seems so simple, in comparison to many others, can prove to be so useful when it comes to kicking some serious ass!

boogie woogie feng shui

At the risk of sounding cliche, Muay Thai would probably have to be my favorite martial art to practice. It's become the "hot new thing" ever since Ong Bak came out and MMA started gaining popularity, but it really is a time-tested style that can easily be adapted to other martial arts you study. For example, the first style I ever studied was TKD, but kicking the TKD way my kicks had no power. Muay Thai provided better alternative kicking techniques and also utilized a lot of knee and elbow strikes which I have always loved, and my TKD background allowed me to pick up new skills a lot more smoothly because I had already built up the flexbility and muscle memory.

I also love boxing; with only very few exceptions, all the punches I throw are classic boxing punches. It's straightforward, versatile, and for the tactician it's unequaled. Also a lot of my favorite fighters are great with their hands, while the majority of martial arts fighters tend to be lacking in that area, so it kind of inspired me to make sure my handwork was crisp.

For grappling, I love a combination of power based wrestling like the takedowns in Roman Greco wrestling and Sanshou, and the momentum-based techniques of Japanese Jiu-Jutsu. Forget the Brazillian stuff, classic Jiu-Jutsu is a much more complete system and you can also feel proud that you don't have to share it with the fatass tattooed guy at work that likes to pretend he's the Ultimate Fighter.

Film is a different story. Almost anything can look good on camera if it's properly applied. But I've always loved the choreography of JAC karate movies from the 70's, Krav Maga-esque realistic brawls, and of course the wushu/kickboxing style that became popular in the 80's in Hong Kong.

Damn, dude, layin down that knowledge. haha.

Im not as well versed in different techniques as you are. And like I said before, Ive never had any formal training. But, the techniques that do interest me are Wing Chun, cuz from what ive seen of it, you can be come lightning quick with your hands. TKD seems like a good start for learning kicks, but like you said, it isnt too flexible. Maybe its just the fan in me, but I used to really want to learn Jeet Kune do. But now I realize that its basically a mix of different techniques that one learns. So, like you know TKD, Muay Thai, boxing, etc., putting the best of those different styles sorta makes your own style of Jeet Kune Do. At least thats how I understand it.

Oh, and I cant forget Drunken Boxing, that looks good both on film and in practice, but I doubt that you could really use drunken boxing outside of competition.

What would you suggest would be a good starting point for someone who wants to get into martial arts? Just go with what you feel is interesting, or find what you can and go with that?

What would you suggest would be a good starting point for someone who wants to get into martial arts? Just go with what you feel is interesting, or find what you can and go with that?

As someone who used to take karate lessons at a young age, my advice is find something that you like, and stick with it. The younger you start training at martial arts, the more you retain, and with practice, you could kick somebody's butt with it. I'd like to take martial arts again but with school taking up most of my time, I can't really learn. :disappoin