boogie woogie feng shui
What would you suggest would be a good starting point for someone who wants to get into martial arts? Just go with what you feel is interesting, or find what you can and go with that?

It depends mostly on what you're interested in and what's available in your area. Most of what you'll find are run-of-the-mill Tae Kwon Do and "Kuh-rot-ee" schools, but beware: the vasty majority of these are McDojos set up almost exclusively to scam money from soccer moms. If you receive a black belt in under four years, you're probably not getting everything you should be out of it. I started off taking Tae Kwon Do in a pretty good school, not the best, but not dedicated solely to making money. I learned some good basics and also got to learn and practice bits and pieces of other styles like judo, Eskrima, and Ishinryuu karate. Eventually there were some management changes and yeah, it became a completely commercial school. I taught a children's class for a while and the stuff we had them doing was a joke. Luckily, the teacher that I studied under defected and started teaching out of another dojang, so I got to go back to basics for some serious training with him and started learning the elements of Muay Thai, Sanshou, and Jiu-jutsu.

I realize I'm rambling, but stick with me; my point is this--sometimes you just have to take the plunge before you can get anywhere, even if it's not the best learning environment. Generally TKD is the most widely-accepted starting point. But don't feel boxed in; if you have a kung fu school in your area and the style interests you, by all means go for it. Some of the most commonly taught styles are tiger, mantis, Tai Chi, longfist, or a combination of several. There is a place not too far from here that specializes in JKD (always suspicious of that one), MMA, and boxing. If you're less interested in classical technique and more interested in busting skulls, take an MMA, boxing, or Krav Maga course (but exercise some discipline, please). If you're the opposite, something like kung fu would be good because it has a much richer history and well of techniques than generic TKD or karate.

Whatever you decide to do, work hard and never stop learning. Practice on your own time, study theory, read books. Books are good. And don't forget that after a while of studying multiple arts, you start to sort of put together your own JKD automatically. Cool!

The Ends JustiΦ's the Means
As someone who used to take karate lessons at a young age, my advice is find something that you like, and stick with it. The younger you start training at martial arts, the more you retain, and with practice, you could kick somebody's butt with it. I'd like to take martial arts again but with school taking up most of my time, I can't really learn. :disappoin

Yeh, my only problem is that I didnt start young. Im 24 now and not in the best of shape. I wanna push myself starting this summer to get in shape and learn a bit of something. Since Im done with college now, Ill have lots more time, hopefully, to do that.

I totally get what you're saying. Im more into the technique than kickin ass cuz Im a lover, not a fighter. :p But seriously, I think technique is more fulfilling cuz its more about learning something new than kickin ass. Dont get me wrong though, I do want to kick ass, but I could do that now. Id rather learn something deeper than that. So yeh, If I can find a Chinese Kung Fu school around here, Ill definitely check it out. I mean, I live in a pretty big city so there's bound to be one somewhere.

For some reason, Ive never been much into the MMA fighting. I dotn knwo what it is, but it just doesnt appeal to me. Even seeing Donnie Yen do it in Flashpoint did nothin for me. Maybe I should watch more to see what its all about.

boogie woogie feng shui
Yeh, my only problem is that I didnt start young. Im 24 now and not in the best of shape. I wanna push myself starting this summer to get in shape and learn a bit of something. Since Im done with college now, Ill have lots more time, hopefully, to do that.

It's never too late to start, man. If you do decide to take up an art, supplement it with some moderate physical training. Your developing strength will increase your progress in the martial art and the martial art will help with your progress in physical training.

I totally get what you're saying. Im more into the technique than kickin ass cuz Im a lover, not a fighter. :p But seriously, I think technique is more fulfilling cuz its more about learning something new than kickin ass. Dont get me wrong though, I do want to kick ass, but I could do that now. Id rather learn something deeper than that. So yeh, If I can find a Chinese Kung Fu school around here, Ill definitely check it out. I mean, I live in a pretty big city so there's bound to be one somewhere.

If that's the case, I would recommend for you a kung fu style, or something heavy on the forms. Some Japanese styles also have a lot of patterned movement and drills so there's always that possibility as well. But don't neglect the combat aspects of martial arts either. After all, the original purpose of most of these arts was to hurt or kill people. A lot of folks tend to overestimate their own fighting abilities and don't realize how challenging even sparring can be. There's a whole strategic aspect that you have to deal with without even mentioning the physical requirements. Put 'em together and you have an extremely complex scenario with an endless amount of possible outcomes that you have to act on quickly in a severely limited amount of time. Yeah, it's nerve-racking. :p

For some reason, Ive never been much into the MMA fighting. I dotn knwo what it is, but it just doesnt appeal to me. Even seeing Donnie Yen do it in Flashpoint did nothin for me. Maybe I should watch more to see what its all about.

Nah, don't watch it. There's some artistic merit to an MMA fight every now and then, but most of it is just stupid macho brawling. Back in the early 90's and even before UFC was around MMA was a big deal in Japan, and you had styles like shootboxing, Pancrase, and catch-wrestling dominating the fight scene. Fighters back then were a lot more skilled and typically knew their stuff better than the guys you'll see in the octagon today. Most of it is a laugh; if you learn three punches and an armbar and you're dumb enough to take punches to the head repeatedly then you qualify for a professional contract. There's no psychology and there's no real physical prowess either. There's a difference between being tough and being a talented fighter. For MMA at its worst, check out shows like The Ultimate Fighter and Tapout. Totally commercial image, senseless violence, such a waste. There's no soul there.

The Ends JustiΦ's the Means
It's never too late to start, man. If you do decide to take up an art, supplement it with some moderate physical training. Your developing strength will increase your progress in the martial art and the martial art will help with your progress in physical training.

Yeh, I figured that they would sorta go hand in hand and help me get in shape faster. Im seriously gonna do this. Always been seomthing ive been meaning to do but never got the chance.

If that's the case, I would recommend for you a kung fu style, or something heavy on the forms. Some Japanese styles also have a lot of patterned movement and drills so there's always that possibility as well. But don't neglect the combat aspects of martial arts either. After all, the original purpose of most of these arts was to hurt or kill people. A lot of folks tend to overestimate their own fighting abilities and don't realize how challenging even sparring can be. There's a whole strategic aspect that you have to deal with without even mentioning the physical requirements. Put 'em together and you have an extremely complex scenario with an endless amount of possible outcomes that you have to act on quickly in a severely limited amount of time. Yeah, it's nerve-racking. :p

Oh, Im definitely not gonna do it solely for the forms, though its pretty damn awesome. If there is no power behind any of it, its just dancing. but yeh, i guess you could say Im not going into it JUST to kill someone. Though, there are a few on my hitlist. :O_O:

Nah, don't watch it. There's some artistic merit to an MMA fight every now and then, but most of it is just stupid macho brawling. Back in the early 90's and even before UFC was around MMA was a big deal in Japan, and you had styles like shootboxing, Pancrase, and catch-wrestling dominating the fight scene. Fighters back then were a lot more skilled and typically knew their stuff better than the guys you'll see in the octagon today. Most of it is a laugh; if you learn three punches and an armbar and you're dumb enough to take punches to the head repeatedly then you qualify for a professional contract. There's no psychology and there's no real physical prowess either. There's a difference between being tough and being a talented fighter. For MMA at its worst, check out shows like The Ultimate Fighter and Tapout. Totally commercial image, senseless violence, such a waste. There's no soul there.

Thats what I always saw it as, mindless violence. I never understood what was soo exciting about it cuz its just two dudes going at it. Only difference from boxing or kick boxing is that pretty much anything goes. Id rather see a martial arts tournament anyday.

Okay, so I got a question for all the Martial arts buffs here: Whats you're favorite fighting style? Both in real-life competition/practice and what looks best on film?

I would have to go with Capoeira. Now, this is going to sound cliche as well, but I first learned about it from "The Protector," in the scene where Tony Jaa and Lateef Crowder face off. I ended up watching it online, and I loved it. The movements were great, completely mirroring the culture of Brazil. It's just something about the movements that get to me man, in the good way of course.

When I started practicing it, I couldn't get the stance done right, lol. But with a little more practice, I ended up getting it down straight. I really love how it gets your body to move, and just how "dancey" it is.

I love to see martial arts. This is just one of the MAV (Martial Arts Videos) I like

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP3Tn5VWUWg[/ame]

Im not straight but my boyfriend is
Okay, so I got a question for all the Martial arts buffs here: Whats you're favorite fighting style? Both in real-life competition/practice and what looks best on film?

I don't know styles. I really don't. But like I said, I think Drunken Style looks so awesome. (And here's me trying to sound all knowledgeable and impress Bolt:)

I love how the body and style is so limp and flexible and seems off balance, but its actually completely stable and balanced. I love how they can go from "Oops I fell over," to " HAI-YA TO YOUR FACE!"

So yeah. ^_^

Faded, you're adorable! :anime:

I've got a mish-mash background in different martial arts. When it comes down to it, I love grappling and close-in techniques, particularly elbow and knee strikes. The style I've stuck with longest is shotokan karate, but my school has recently imploded due to the loss of our head instructor (retired and moved to Arizona). I've been taking lessons at a nearby Shorinryu school to see how that suits me, and I like it quite a lot so far. They've been giving me some escrima and bo training as well, which I've been having a lot of fun with. Unfortunately, they're kind of pretty damn pricey, and with me not having a job right now, I'm not sure if I can continue.

As for what I find most visually appealing, I guess it depends on the actual stylist rather than the style. The grappling arts tend to be kind of ugly, but there are a couple grapplers who really light up their technique. Akido can be a lot of fun to watch. I've thought Muay Thai was incredible long before Tony Jaa hit the scene, but he really epitomizes the beauty of the style. I'm not particularly partial to the various kung fu styles, but obviously they can look amazing.
I'm someone who tends to be impressed by power and big hits, so I also go for the more commando styles of combat. The Bourne films are fantastic for this.

Lurker
I did Tae Kwan Do at age 9 for two years, boxing for 6 months, and been doing Goju-ryu for a year. Honestly I dislike doing forms despite their importance. I'd rather know how to take down others effectively which is why i like sparring so much. As of now I'm trying to strengthen certain parts of myself, to make myself a strong wall. The only things now are finger pushups and swinging a barbell aroudn to improve forearm and shoulder strength.
For future styles, I would like to attempt Muay Thai and Capoiera. I always felt right kneeing someone and would like to strengthen my kicks. Capoiera's there for improving flexibility. Also I want to find out where to learn parkour so as to move around my enviroment better.

Last edited:
Is wrestling a style? If so then I'd say I'm pretty fluent in it. Arm drag takedowns, figure four leg locks, pile drivers, power bombs, choke slams, things like that.

It actually works pretty well in a real fight. When you punch a guy in the throat, then half-nelson him, he's not gonna want to fight anymore.