But do remember, surprises happen. ZX and Faiz were completely unexpected.
ZX yes, Faiz maybe not so much in retrospect (not that I'm going to pretend I called it at the time). Around the time they announced that the film was being made they were heavily promoting a 10th anniversary Blu-Ray boxset of his show (it being 10 years since the show ENDED). I'm sure they wanted a few more sales. Since then Black and Ryuki have received Blu-Ray sets, and Blade has had an audio adventure. We know we're getting Black (RX) so I'd say Ryuki and Blade were in prime position if they wanted another early Heisei Rider back.
Kuuga doesn't exactly hate Kamen Rider or Tokusatsu. He just doesn't care. I guess he can come back if Kuuga's producer is involved. If any character from Kuuga is to show up in these movies, I think it would be Kaoru Ichijou.
Joe Odagiri did an interview a few months back where he mentioned that he initially turned down Kuuga, and only did it because his agency gave him a "accept the job or you'll never work in this town again" type ultimatum. Although he did say that the producer spoke to him and he felt a little better when he'd heard the vision for the show, and when that producer later did 'Daimajin Kanon' Odagiri cameoed in the last episode. But that producer will never work with Toei again anyway (due to the Hibiki screwjob). I think the only way Odagiri might relent is if one of his kids (IIRC he has a three year old and one around 6 months old) becomes a big Rider fan and he decided that he wanted to do something they could see him in. But it still seems unlikely after past events.
Den-O is fond of his role (he did @Tokusatsuhero twitter), but his agency won't let him do it again. I honestly don't get how these agencies work. If you don't want him to be associated with the children show, why let him do it in the first place? Do you believe once he's big, everyone would just forget about his Den-O role? That's just stupid. Everyone else from Den-O is pretty much avaliable.
After he finished working on the third Den-O film he had a supporting role in a successful baseball drama that won him lots of praise and attention (there are quotes around on the net of him saying he regards it as his "real break-out role"). If I had to guess, I'd say that Toei probably kept offering him the same pay as he'd had while doing the show (I've read that they are meant to be well-known for not giving out large pay checks) but his higher profile meant he could get better paid and/or more prestigious roles elsewhere, and his agency convinced him that they were better for his career (and bank account) than doing more Den-O. To be fair they were right! Now he's doing the Rurouni Kenshin films that are in cinemas around the world and atm he's a pretty big deal.
What the hell is Narutaki? We still don't know.
An internet troll personified? :sweat:
Why are BLACK and BLACK RX able to appear together so many times? We can only assume based on what we've seen before (in Decade and the RX movie), but nothing guarantees it's the same thing
I wouldn't treat the RX movie as an authorative statement about Rider canon. That's the (15 minute long) movie where Kotaro decides that he must have gone back in time (instead of just reverting to his old form) because he can hear the background music playing and he hasn't heard this particular song since he was Black! And then three other versions of him just appear. :eyebrow:

The modern Rider production team doesn't seem to care about the continuity of the franchise before it was in charge (the current team started on Decade). And to be fair, the kids currently watching Rider won't have seen anything from that far back anyway. Those kids certainly won't know (or care) that two shows from a quarter of a century ago shared the same lead character, especially as neither Black or RX have been especially important to the films before now. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't address it at all.
Is there anything holding Nigo back from reprising his role? Aside from age of course.
In the 80s he was badly burned in a house fire and afaik hasn't acted since. :( Although he did provide Hayato's voice in LGKR.

Last edited:
Heroes are forever
That's the point though. They had to give an explanation for Black and Black RX fighting alongside each other in Decade since the actor was actually there, while they don't bother in later movies and just throw them there since it's just suits. If Shinji appears as a character in the story, they'd need an explanation. It doesn't matter if he went back to being a suit only Rider without story importance afterwards, at least we'd have an explanation for these later appearances.
Well, we'd have to see. It's not like they explained what's going on with the Orphenoch King in Kamen Rider Taisen.

If Shinji comes back with a role similar to the one Faiz got in that movie (pretty much a protagonist who goes through character development), then I would definitely expect some form of an explanation.

ZX yes, Faiz maybe not so much in retrospect (not that I'm going to pretend I called it at the time). Around the time they announced that the film was being made they were heavily promoting a 10th anniversary Blu-Ray boxset of his show (it being 10 years since the show ENDED). I'm sure they wanted a few more sales. Since then Black and Ryuki have received Blu-Ray sets, and Blade has had an audio adventure. We know we're getting Black (RX) so I'd say Ryuki and Blade were in prime position if they wanted another early Heisei Rider back.
It's a surprise in the sense that this is the first time they've been seen outside of their series/tv special.

I tended not to consider other stuff they do as a big reason for them to return (like a reunion or VA for a videogame) since we've had several of them do that and not return yet. It definitely opens up possibilities, of course. Sugata Shun was not that out of the loop either as he had attended several Rider events and had done ZX's voice for Ganbaride, but I never consider that to raise his possibilites... until he appeared, and so did X.
Hayami Ryo expressed sadness over Toei not even bothering to contact him for All Riders, and so for a while I realized that no matter how much an actor says they'd be willing to come back, it doesn't guarantee they will.
I've had many of these expectations changed over Kamen Rider Taisen and with this announcement of Kurata I have even higher hopes now.
So, bring the expected and the unexpected!

I wouldn't treat the RX movie as an authorative statement about Rider canon. That's the (15 minute long) movie where Kotaro decides that he must have gone back in time (instead of just reverting to his old form) because he can hear the background music playing and he hasn't heard this particular song since he was Black! And then three other versions of him just appear. :eyebrow:
I so need to see that again.

The modern Rider production team doesn't seem to care about the continuity of the franchise before it was in charge (the current team started on Decade). And to be fair, the kids currently watching Rider won't have seen anything from that far back anyway. Those kids certainly won't know (or care) that two shows from a quarter of a century ago shared the same lead character, especially as neither Black or RX have been especially important to the films before now. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't address it at all.
They addressed stuff from 10 years ago with Faiz in the recent movie and even gave Hongo Takeshi the surgical scars seen in the manga, they returned ZX and Badan just as they were remembered (the redesigns of Badan were not that different from the originals). In the ending, they address the fact that Murasame Ryo is a pilot. What 5-year old is going to know that?
Sure, there's a lot they don't address, but this is the kind of stuff that has raised my hopes considerably.

In the 80s he was badly burned in a house fire and afaik hasn't acted since. :( Although he did provide Hayato's voice in LGKR.
Sasaki also provided the voice for Rider 2/Ichimonji in Genealogy of Justice, and he's one of the Riders that attends a lot of events. It's true that he hasn't been seen onscreen in live-action but I wouldn't count him out entirely.

Oh! I didn't know that Sasaki had been burned. Very disheartening to hear :(.

That RX movie sounds hilarious though :p.

Well, we'd have to see. It's not like they explained what's going on with the Orphenoch King in Kamen Rider Taisen.

But the Orphenoch King was just a suit cameo in Takumi's flashbacks. It's not like he was an actual active character in the movie. If Shinji pulls an Agito in Vs Dai-Shocker, just making an out of suit cameo in the end, yes, they won't bother. But if he's a main character like Tsukasa, Takumi, Jin or even Hongo they'd likely give an explanation for his presence.

They addressed stuff from 10 years ago with Faiz in the recent movie

I guess people will focus too much on how they changed Kusaka's death, but the movie did have references to other elements from Faiz without changes, including the actual final episode itself.

Last edited:
All this speculation about returning Riders is eventually pointless if the movie is just gonna end up sucking lol.

I think it even destroys the experience somewhat. The Heisei vs Showa movie was ruined for me because I didn't care a single iota about those Riders who got all the spotlight despite being in shows I haven't seen. Audiences will feel the same way; the older a show, the less people will care about characters from those shows.

I think it even destroys the experience somewhat. The Heisei vs Showa movie was ruined for me because I didn't care a single iota about those Riders who got all the spotlight despite being in shows I haven't seen. Audiences will feel the same way; the older a show, the less people will care about characters from those shows.

Heisei vs Showa performed better than any of Gaim's other movies. It also beat SHTZ, which focused only on newer heroes. So, there's obviously a big enough audience that cares about past heroes, not just the current season.

R

raden238

All this speculation about returning Riders is eventually pointless if the movie is just gonna end up sucking lol.

This is not true, at least for me. Even if the Taisen movies suck, I still look forward to speculating and seeing the Legend Riders return in person. That is the big highlight for me with SHT and KRT. Those moments of seeing the heroes of the past return, possibly for the last time is so epic.

The whole "the older show, the less people will care" thing only applies to kids who didn't grow up watching it or fans who've never seen the show. But even then, I still care. Like with the new movie coming out next year, Black RX is back, I've never seen the show yet, but I am interested to see what happens with him and Drive.

Instead of other past Rider actors, I would rather have returning actors from Black RX.
Imagine having Rikiya Koyama back. That dude is AMAZING.

Atsuko Takahata is also still active, and would still make a great villainess.

Jun Koyamaki still talks fondly of her Tokusatsu years, so if Toei asked her for a short cameo, I bet she would do it.

Lurker
Instead of other past Rider actors, I would rather have returning actors from Black RX.
Imagine having Rikiya Koyama back. That dude is AMAZING.

Atsuko Takahata is also still active, and would still make a great villainess.

Jun Koyamaki still talks fondly of her Tokusatsu years, so if Toei asked her for a short cameo, I bet she would do it.

Koyama did voice Bujin Gaim very recently, I would really like to see what Joe the Haze looks like in action in the movie.