recommend me some tokusatsu other than kamen rider, super sentai and garo.

Almost any Metal Hero show is good, but I'd especially recommend Spielban, Metalder, and Janperson. Perhaps Jiraiya and Jiban too. (I'd also highly suggest that one watch Winspector, Solbrain and/or Exceedraft instead of the weak Tomica Hero series)

Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, and Moebius. (The last one's an anniversary show, but it's a far better "crash course" on Ultraman than Decade was for Kamen Rider, or even Gokaiger for Sentai.)

Ryukendo is fun in a cute way. Zubat and Keitai Sousakan 7 are absolute gems. Inazuman isn't bad either. You could also check out Byclosser just for how odd it is.

-Android Kikaider is an absolute classic. Ignore Kikaider 01 at all costs.

I was thinking of getting both shows from Generation Kikaida. What's wrong with 01?

-The Magnificent Zubat features one of the best heroes in all of tokusatsu, but your mileage will vary based on whether you like the formula (I personally thought it was a VERY entertaining formula).

I will say that the origins of his suit and the weird car don't quite mesh with the rest of the show.

-Ultraman is a must for any tokusatsu fan. Ultra Seven is the more beloved series, but I recommend watching the original first.

I actually enjoyed Ultraseven more than Ultraman.

-Android Kikaider is an absolute classic. Ignore Kikaider 01 at all costs.
Kikaider is one of those shows where a charismatic cast are carrying what would otherwise be a sh** series. The writing is boring, the fight choreography is pedestrian, the suit designs from Kikaider himself right down to the most insignificant monster of the week are all terrible. I don't just mean by modern standards either; The original Kamen Rider was airing at the same time and was lightyears ahead. Yet it's regular cast really rise above their material. Hanpen really should be Shunpei levels of annoying but the actor miraculously won me over. I'd love to see Daisuke Ban in a better series (sadly from the few episodes I've seen Inazuman was no better...maybe Battle Fever J?). Even the little boy is better than most child actors.

Kikaider 01 was almost the reverse. Much more effort going into the writing, better choreography, the suits are more similar to the level of quality Rider was at. But it's regular cast don't get to shine. Partially it's because the original Kikaider cameos in almost every episode in the first half and regularly upstages 01. Then when Kikaider stops appearing they introduce Bijinder and poor old 01 keeps getting upstaged :sweat:
-The Magnificent Zubat features one of the best heroes in all of tokusatsu, but your mileage will vary based on whether you like the formula (I personally thought it was a VERY entertaining formula).
Pretty much all tokusatsu is formulaic to some degree but Zubat is one of those shows where you can recite a third of the dialog in an episode before you've even seen it. :laugh: Some viewers can embrace the madness, some just get driven mad, and a lot of people flip flop between the two with each episode. It is undoubtably Hiroshi Miyauchi's definitive role though. Much like Kikaider, the show rides on the charisma of it's star and once you've seen this show he always seems a bit tame in other shows. It's no wonder his appearance in the ZX special had him wearing an outfit similar to Hayakawa's (including cowboy hat!) even though he's meant to be playing V3.
-Ultraman is a must for any tokusatsu fan. Ultra Seven is the more beloved series, but I recommend watching the original first.
Oh yeah, I'd put Ultraman before Ultra Seven. That way it just keeps getting better. :anime: Leave Ultra Q until after those two though. Then it's really fun to spot the random one-shot appearances of actors who would later have main roles in Ultraman and Ultra Seven. A lot of people probably wouldn't care for a black and white 'atmospheric' (i.e. sometimes slow) series with no henshin hero. But there's something refreshing about watching regular people having to deal with giant monsters. And to this old Godzilla fan, something really weird about watching the JSDF take on a kaiju and actually do some damage!
Ehhhh, once you get used to the whole "Spider-Man gets his powers from an alien and pilots a giant robot" thing, it wears its welcome out fast. Many of the episodes were a really tough sit and the mecha "fights" are just inexcusably poor (yes, I know the Leopardon suit was stolen but that doesn't excuse how unentertaining the fights are).
Oh I'm sure I'd watch a couple of episodes and that'd be it. Everything I've heard about that show suggests it basically only has novelty value.
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, and Moebius. (The last one's an anniversary show, but it's a far better "crash course" on Ultraman than Decade was for Kamen Rider, or even Gokaiger for Sentai.)
Oh yeah. To anyone who gets confused by all those kinda similar looking red and silver men, Mebius will straighten everything out for you.
Ryukendo is fun in a cute way.
I've read it's kind of a prequel to the Tomica series. Is it worth watching Ryukendo before those shows to get the best out of them? A while back I watched the first episode of Rescue Force and I must admit that seemed kinda fun.

I've read it's kind of a prequel to the Tomica series. Is it worth watching Ryukendo before those shows to get the best out of them? A while back I watched the first episode of Rescue Force and I must admit that seemed kinda fun.

Ryukendo has nothing to do with the Tomica series. The only connection it has to any show is Hiroko Sato (of Decade and Garo Season 3 fame) who's in the main cast.

I'd just avoid the Tomica series entirely. It could never figure out if it wanted to be Sentai-esque or Metal Hero-esque. The result is this nonsense where you have an evil organization causing every single natural disaster on the planet and an international organization meant to deal with them. Sure :rolleyes2: As I said, Winspector, Solbrain and Exceedraft do the concept more justice.

NonStereoBlack
Any suggestions on 90's stuff where you see " normal life" interlaced with the toku snippets? I mostly press FWD on mecha and costume fights unless its a very good choreography show, im more interested in the acting itself and the stories, so most "heroic" toku tends to bore me.

Ryukendo has nothing to do with the Tomica series. The only connection it has to any show is Hiroko Sato (of Decade and Garo Season 3 fame) who's in the main cast.
Ah fair enough then. :anime:
Any suggestions on 90's stuff where you see "normal life" interlaced with the toku snippets? I mostly press FWD on mecha and costume fights unless its a very good choreography show, im more interested in the acting itself and the stories, so most "heroic" toku tends to bore me.
Hmm normal life doesn't tend to be a priority for a genre based in fantasy and sci-fi. I guess Ultraman Tiga maybe? Or possibly the Heisei Godzilla films?

Last edited:
Kikaider is one of those shows where a charismatic cast are carrying what would otherwise be a sh** series. The writing is boring, the fight choreography is pedestrian, the suit designs from Kikaider himself right down to the most insignificant monster of the week are all terrible. I don't just mean by modern standards either; The original Kamen Rider was airing at the same time and was lightyears ahead. Yet it's regular cast really rise above their material. Hanpen really should be Shunpei levels of annoying but the actor miraculously won me over. I'd love to see Daisuke Ban in a better series (sadly from the few episodes I've seen Inazuman was no better...maybe Battle Fever J?). Even the little boy is better than most child actors.

Kikaider 01 was almost the reverse. Much more effort going into the writing, better choreography, the suits are more similar to the level of quality Rider was at. But it's regular cast don't get to shine. Partially it's because the original Kikaider cameos in almost every episode in the first half and regularly upstages 01. Then when Kikaider stops appearing they introduce Bijinder and poor old 01 keeps getting upstaged

I don't agree at all. Kikaider feels like the closest we ever got to a tokusatsu series carrying Ishinomori's core themes in their purest form. The internal and external battles of good vs. evil, the inability to ever be human no matter how much you may look like one, the dangers and miracles of science; it's all there and not really watered down compared to the contemporaries.

Compared to that, Kikaider 01 had no effort put into the writing. The show dropped plot point after plot point and character after character, the special effects and overuse of stock footage were glaringly awful even for its time, both villain groups were unbelievably dull, and it just kept introducing new things to make anything at all stick. It finally found something with Bijinder and Waruder, but like you said, Kikaider 01 was never given anything to do.

Henshin a Go-Go!!
Dude, where are people finding these subbed Zubat, Spielban, Metalder, and Janperson?

Anybody wanna PM me some links?

I don't agree at all. Kikaider feels like the closest we ever got to a tokusatsu series carrying Ishinomori's core themes in their purest form. The internal and external battles of good vs. evil, the inability to ever be human no matter how much you may look like one, the dangers and miracles of science; it's all there and not really watered down compared to the contemporaries.
It's cool that there's someone who likes it. I just don't see that. Especially the "internal battle" stuff; it's been a few months since I finished the show but I can't think of a single example of that. Unless you mean the conscience circuit stuff? But IMO that would be a bad example as it's only a factor when the external influence of the bad guys' McGuffin is used (see also Akumaizer 3, where it was a magic glowing rock instead of a magic flute).
Dude, where are people finding these subbed Zubat, Spielban, Metalder, and Janperson?
MillionFold Curiosity subbed Zubat a while ago. Janperson (and Juspion) are in the process of being subbed by Mega Beast Empire. Metalder was partially subbed by the (now long gone) original incarnation of Dead Fish Fansubs, who sadly never finished the series before going under, and there are torrents out there that fill in the missing episodes with some (awful) HK subs. It's a shame really as it's a show that deserves a proper sub. AFAIK nobody's subbed Spielban; I think GUIS did announce that they were going to do it but they didn't release any episodes before entering their current hibernation.

NonStereoBlack
Ah fair enough then. :anime:
Hmm normal life doesn't tend to be a priority for a genre based in fantasy and sci-fi. I guess Ultraman Tiga maybe? Or possibly the Heisei Godzilla films?

Im sorry , i was kinda ambiguous

I mean id rather see the "costumbrism" in a scifi enviroment ( how the hero deals with everyday struggles AND being a hero ala Peter Parker, Timeranger, Hurricanger, etc) , how society relies on them ( or rejects them), etc. In the end, all i remember from sentai shows is the theme, not the mecha or the in-suit fights