In Justice, We Trust!
Otoya loved a woman 70% of the show (IIRC), then completely forgot about her after he meets another... Not only that, his character also did a 180 from becoming a happy-go-lucky playboy to a devoted dark suicidal emo dude in a few episodes.

That really killed it for me.

I mean c'mon dude! You spent a good portion of Kiva trying to get into Maya's pants for christ's sake! :eyebrow:

HEROW
Wataru had no confidence in himself at the beginning of the series and he he almost completed Maslow's Hierarchy of Need by the end.

But Wataru's character development wasn't that obvious, as I said, it felt like his change was only inches from what he was before, even if he completed Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Nago's tenure as a comic relief character was only a sidestep of his development. Before that he had already shown signs of changing, he had started to care about his comrades more than his silly, self-impose, mission.

I still didn't see any development at all, I think we can call it a case of being bipolar, though not in a daily sense, but more like getting an attitude change in a very quick pace.

No one ever said that only good characters can get development. Taiga was introduced as being a two-faced, self-righteous prick with no regards for others. Right at the moment he though he had everything in the world, the the ground was ripped apart right beneath his feet, letting him to crawls his way back.

Yes, but it made no sense since he was never punished for all his wrong-doings.

I never said Otoya had character development. He was a the same from beginning to end, it just so happens that "same" makes for a great character all on its own.

So the sudden change of personality is still the same Otoya? In a deeper sense it might be so if we're talking about his stubbornness.

Lurker
But Wataru's character development wasn't that obvious, as I said, it felt like his change was only inches from what he was before, even if he completed Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

If his change would have being obvious, then that would have just being bipolar. Instead, it was gradual and constant. Like it should be.

I still didn't see any development at all, I think we can call it a case of being bipolar, though not in a daily sense, but more like getting an attitude change in a very quick pace.

Even when he was being an a$$whole, I still caught glimpse of Nago's development. Which is why I don't find it so sudden. I think the problem is that people get caught up on his comic relief phase, which makes his last bits of development seem awkward.

Yes, but it made no sense since he was never punished for all his wrong-doings.

He was punished, though briefly, when he realized that he had lost everything. And at the end, he was trying to make amends for the evil he has done.

So the sudden change of personality is still the same Otoya? In a deeper sense it might be so if we're talking about his stubbornness.

I don't see that as change for Otoya, from the start he declared that he would do anything for the woman he "loved". He didn't want to die, he just wanted to keep his word and protect Maya.

Someday...once more
being that kiva is one of my favorites, i will admit that the show got better in the second half. the first half was more introductory of characters and elements and all.

I liked Masao Kurenai and want to see more of Kamen Rider NEW Kiva. An Orange & Silver Emperor Form would be interesting to see.

Kiva is just one of those things that is polarizing due to the jumps back and forth between the storylines as well as the Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot type love triangle.

That's kinda the whole reason I did IXA is so the stories could be presented cleanly and more straightforward so that people could really judge the show with maybe a better perspective regarding the storylines.

I don't hate Kiva - I actually enjoyed watching it, which is more than can be said for Faiz. I liked Wataru, though his character development got a bit schizophrenic towards the end. The suits were great, especially Kiva's basic one (Emperor form not so much, but it wasn't bad), and the fangires were cool too, even if at times it was tricky to tell what animal they were supposed to be representing.

But it had issues. The main thing I dislike about it is Otoya - I get what they were trying to do with him, and I see why some people like him, but to me he just came across as insufferable and annoying. But I liked Tendou from Kabuto, who in some ways is a very similar character, so I don't know. He's also a complete douchebag for leaving Yuri for the Queen lady without even talking to her about it at all. Another thing I didn't like is after they established that Fangires do have souls, I felt kind of uncomfortable when they were killed, ESPECIALLY the Grizzly fangire who, if I remember right, didn't even kill anyone. Sure, most of them were amoral murderers, but still.

Another thing that bugged me was the massive sexism in having the IXA using women both get displaced by men, like the women were just borrowing the power from the men. Normally I'm not that bothered by the lack of female riders (though I would much like there to be more of them in future), but when it is dealt with like this it feels really sexist. Especially when Nago is fucking BLIND and he's still the one to use IXA rather than Megumi.

Finally the amount of things that made no frigging sense, for example Kiva's bird form was just stupid and came out of nowhere, and massive overuse of characters just randomly meeting in the street. It got to the point where it felt like characters were thinking "ok so I need to talk to her, maybe if I just walk around randomly we'll bump in to each other", and then it consistently worked. Again comparing it to Kabuto, at least in that show it was kinda explained by Tendou's magical haxxor powers, and they made a running joke of it. In kiva it was just sort of there, and both the plot and the characters were relying on it way too much.

But as I said, despite that I did gain enjoyment from the show. Also I really liked the ending, when they all ran out to fight the Neo-Fangires I was like "YEAH!" :D.

EDIT: Also Mio was just boring.

was that ever explained in the show? Also it looks nothing like any of the other fangires.
It kinda was... in the movie... kinda.

It's one of those things like "LOOK AT THE COOL CGI! OOH! by the way this is Wataru's Fangire state OOH! LOOK AT THE BIRD DRAGON FANGIRE THINY FLY! HE CAN SHOOT STUFF TOO! BUY! BUY! BUY!"