A recently converted toku fan asks: Where next?

SurfPenguin

Okay, here's the story, like a lot of folks, I know about the tokusatsu genre from one of the two basic places: the power rangers of (in my case) the old 'Night Flight' DYNAMAN redubs, but had never really seen any of the genre 'for reals'.

Well, I corrected that problem over the weekend, when I proceeded to mainline the first sixteen episodes of Kamen Rider OOS. The story was silly, the monsters goofy as one would expect, and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. The 'tokusatsu fan' switch in my head is now very firmly switched to the 'on' position!

The question I have is: what should I check out next? What's worth watching? What should I avoid? inquiring minds want to know!

Aoi Kurenai

Mad Skillz
Gekiranger is a pretty good recent show to dive into, it's a lot more camp than recent Kamen Rider, but if you can get through that, there's a really great story in there.

Sazer X is really good for a mix of quirky humor and a surprisingly dramatic story with retro looking costumes and an awesome set of mecha, probably the only mecha action I can really call myself a fan of.

Annnnnd it's not henshin hero, but Keitai Sousakan 7 is an amazing series, I think it's the best tokusatsu since its airing and probably the most well structured series of the last decade. It's about an agency that hunts down cyber criminals with secret agents and robotic cellphones. It's a lot more free form than most series in that there's no sense of you knowing there's a plot that will have to end by the time a year has gone by.

Black Fang

Shows to watch:

Sentai:
Changeman
Flashman
Maskman
Liveman
Turboranger
Fiveman
Jetman
Dairanger

Kakuranger
Megaranger
Gingaman
GoGoV
Timeranger

Kamen Rider:
Kuuga
Agito
Ryuki

Faiz
Blade
Hibiki
W

Ultraman:
Tiga
Dyna
Gaia
Nexus
Moebius

Metal Hero:
Juspion
Spielban
Metalder
Jiraiya
Winspector
Solbrain
Exceedraft
B-Fighter
B-Fighter Kabuto

Other:
Garo
Ryukendo
Keitai Sousakan 7

The ones in red are "must-see".

nerefir

私の占いは当たる
[HIDE]Shows to watch:

Sentai:
Changeman
Flashman
Maskman
Liveman
Turboranger
Fiveman
Jetman
Dairanger

Kakuranger
Megaranger
Gingaman
GoGoV
Timeranger

Kamen Rider:
Kuuga
Agito
Ryuki

Faiz
Blade
Hibiki
W

Ultraman:
Tiga
Dyna
Gaia
Nexus
Moebius

Metal Hero:
Juspion
Spielban
Metalder
Jiraiya
Winspector
Solbrain
Exceedraft
B-Fighter
B-Fighter Kabuto

Other:
Garo
Ryukendo
Keitai Sousakan 7

The ones in red are "must-see".[/HIDE]
Please stop scaring the new people.

ClimaxHeroDen-O

Ore, Sanjou!
I say search around and browse through different titles, recommendedly the Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, and Ultraman series', then check out previews of ones that pique your interest, and if the previews look promising start watching episodes

Darkster

It's over 8,000!
Kamen Rider Black (dramatic, but it has monster of the week fights), Kamen Rider Ryuki (drama), Kamen Rider 555 (drama), Kamen Rider Double (drama, comedy), Ultraman Tiga, and Ultraman Dyna. :thumbs:

I'm fairly new to tokusatsu (henshin hero stuff, anyway). Kamen Rider W was my first rider series and it was awesome, totally worth it. Blade is currently sucking me and I can recommend that as well. Same goes for Nexus; it's totally captivating and a great way to introduce a new fan.

bigone

Senshi no Hikari
Rider
Ichigo and Nigo
Amazon
V3
RX
ZX
Sentai

GoRanger
Jetman
Liveman
Changeman
Ultra
Seven
Ultraman
Taro

Scissors

You know, when you ask a question like this, people will always tell you something different, because they would usually tell you to watch the show that they personally liked.

If you are not a native Japanese speaker, which I guess that you are not, then Every modern Kamen Rider show from Kuuga to OOO has been subbed and ready to be watched.
I myself, can only speak from personal experience. My first Rider shows were Ryuki, Kabuto and Agito. 3 very different shows, but I enjoyed watching them at that time.

No matter how much people say a show sucks, your first viewer experience will always be great.
I can talk trash about Kabuto and Faiz today, but back when I watched them for the first time, I loved them.

If I were you, go to Wikipedia. Check out the description for each show (don't read too much into it, or you will be spoiled)
Pick the show that you find most interesting.
I would watch every KR show if I were you (at least the modern ones)
The only KR shows that I would not recommend for a new fan are Kuuga, Hibiki and Decade.

Kuuga is more of a horror/crime show than a fantasy show, and many new fans are put off by the fact that it is a solo-hero show (most toku shows these days have more than one hero)
The effects also look very dated compared to the other new shows, and I think that you will enjoy Kuuga a lot more if you have gotten more into Kamen Rider, because it is quite old-school.

Hibiki is an odd one. Either you love it or you hate it, but the fact is that it has barely anything to do with Kamen Rider, except for having heroes in leather and plastic suits. It does however, have a very good cast and an interesting story. But it is much more of a drama than an action-show.
But then, if that is your thing, then go for it.

Decade is the anniversary show for the Heisei era Riders (from Kuuga and onwards) and even though it does not have much continuation with the other shows, it does involve things that can become much more enjoyable to watch if you have watched the other Rider shows first.

Mastodon