DAIMON PAWNCH
Is it just me or has Super Sentai seen some really great villains as of recently, which they seemed to of been lacking lately

Goseiger: Brajira who was pretty much Lucifer
Gokaiger: Basco (Though this may mostly come from how competent he is compared to Warz Gills' group...though they had some possibility with Warz character, but it seemed that they focused more on his failure rather than his incompetence)
Go-Busters: Enter
Kyoryuger: just how well Deboss interacts with one another

Here's hoping to Toqqger's villains are just as great

The new Tendou Souji
Recently?

Awi85jF.jpg

The Ranger with the Cowbell
how can you both lack good villains recently yet having recent villains be excellent as well?

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I like pretty much all the characters you mention. (I'd even like Luckyuro and Candelira if played as straight-up villains.) Enter, though ... I think it doesn't at all hurt that he has a very charismatic actor who clearly LOVED playing the character. Kobayashi seems to have got lucky with that lately: Takeru Sato, Ryosuke Miura, Sho Jinnai and Hiroya Matsumoto really made their characters.

A lot of people's problem with recent Sentai villains seems to come down to:

- they don't get "enough" screen time or attention (read: too much screen time, like Rio and Mele)

- not enough face villains, and when they appear, they usually have a monster form as well. I can't see Toei ever going back to a cast with majority face villains unless it's something like Go-Busters, where there were only three main villain characters and again, Enter and Escape both had monster forms

That guy in Japan
I'm 100% with you on Enter. The best main villain since Bandora in my opinion. The same with Basco. I rage quit Goseiger after ep3 or so and therefore have no opinion on the villains. But I disagree with you on Deboss. I think they have a LOT of potential that has barely been touched on, specifically the idea that they feed off of human emotions that they don't fully understand (especially joy). I feel the show could have done a lot more with this and made a very good and very educational kids show if they had gone into more depth on how human emotions/interactions work with the villains as the negative counterpoint to the heroes. Maybe that's asking too much, but I admit to that bad habit.

Looking at your list, I think what you value is competence and you are right to do so. Heroes are judged by the villains they fight. A villain that doesn't pose a threat is useless. Basco was the Moriarty to Marvelous' Holmes, the villainous counterpoint/worthy opponent. Enter WON every fight in the first 3rd of the series to some degree, mostly because he was smarter than the Gobusters and was several steps ahead of them. Even the Deboss have proven themselves to be **** near indestructible bordering on impossible to kill. I'd even toss in Gedoushu from Shinkenger, especially Doukoku who wiped the floor with the heroes in all but his final appearance.

Strong villains make for better stories and Sentai has very much figured that out as of late.

My hopes for Toukyuger/TouQger (or however we're spelling it) are not high after seeing their appearance in Kyouryuger vs. Gobusters. But I'm willing and hoping to be surprised.

My point of view is loosely on their suit's design theme

For Kyoryuger, it seems to be too cartoony, thus doesn't give off a good impression that they can do much evil (like Luckyuro and Candellira, Aigaron is close to be here). Even their replacements doesn't seem like a threat much. I understand it's to appeal to the kids, but can't they make them more threatening a bit? Even Deboss doesn't seem like a threat with his butterfly mouth. 2/10

Go-On: The villain's design kinda makes the passing line barely. maybe they can give a higher threat personality design if it wasn't for the fact that it really was aimed at kids than normal. 4/10

Shinken: A good threat. The villain's suit also helped a bit. The design also passed the bar for me. 8/10.

Gosei: Only Buredoran saves the series with his suit-change level. But the constant changing of the villain's group kinda confuses me here since their design is sometimes good, sometimes not. Design-wise, kind of a close one here. 4/10

Gokai: A failure here, design-wise. Zangyack doesn't seem like a powerful villain worth sacrificing all 34 Sentai team here. They just seem like a normal alien that has a huge armada. Maybe should have make them more threatening with the suit's designs. 3.5/10

Go-Buster: A new type of villain that has a refreshing take on their villain's suit. Sometimes it's hard to make up my mind of what are Toei trying here with the villain's design. 8/10

I liked him when he wasn't a god
My hopes for Toukyuger/TouQger (or however we're spelling it) are not high after seeing their appearance in Kyouryuger vs. Gobusters. But I'm willing and hoping to be surprised.

As I understand it, weren't they fighting "Neo-Messiah", not their own villains? I am by no means a member of Kobayashi's fan club but I do trust her to write a decent Sentai villain (although Shinkenger's had their problems, for sure)

In Justice, We Trust!
For Kyoryuger, it seems to be too cartoony, thus doesn't give off a good impression that they can do much evil (like Luckyuro and Candellira, Aigaron is close to be here). Even their replacements doesn't seem like a threat much. I understand it's to appeal to the kids, but can't they make them more threatening a bit? Even Deboss doesn't seem like a threat with his butterfly mouth. 2/10

I think that was the point though. To show that while the Deboss Legion were created for evil intent, not all of them were malevolent.

Let's Morphin
I've really enjoyed the Goseiger villains so far. I loved that every monster is from a movie. Looking forward to watching the Brajira arc.:coolshades:

I think that was the point though. To show that while the Deboss Legion were created for evil intent, not all of them were malevolent.

Yeah, I get that point that some villain is not malevolent. And watching Kyoryu's latest episodes makes me understand the intent of Toei (or Sanjo in particular) wanting to make a villain that's repentable. But they could at least try not to make Luckyuro and Candellira's look less cartoony, hides the intent better so the viewers could at least have a harder time guessing if the character will repent at the end of the series. Pretty much from my POV though since I caught that fact during the ep of Shinya and Nossan's marriage interview. Nothing much than that. Overall, it's just how they were designed with intention, thus making them lose their 'intimidating' look.