Why doesn't Funimation dub Kamen Rider/SS


Generation kikaida have been rereleasing Kamen rider V3 and Kikaida/01 dvds all the time here in hawaii because they're really popular amongst the locals! They've been loved and adored by generations and generations. Kamen rider Dragon knight was a perfect chance to show the that there's a growing number of interest here in the states that they can profit on, if they bring more shows like that. There was a lot of potential there, and look how that turned out. Disappointing as it may, no one seemed interested at all but the fans, and I don't even think half of the fandom was tuning in to watch that show . . . imo anyway

. . . I'm hoping myself for more toku shows to come out, but it is what it is. It'd be nice but I could careless to be honest. I'll live with or without toku shows being released here
 
Last edited:

The big issue is KRDK had nothing going for it. Promotion failed as there was no half decent toys, no ads. Bad time slots also ruined its chance. Admittedly, I thought Dragon Knight was ****. Pure and simple. I loved the premise of instead of the Riders just going Hunger Games on each other instead being manipulated by an evil central force. Herein that was the worst executed part of the series.

It felt like they literally stretched thin in this concept as its worse aspect was it borrowed too much from Ryuki in the story , then the original aspects were meh at its best. As a Showa Rider they were trying to recreate, I say they failed hard on that sort of promise. I just wish they went either a straight route or a radically different route than Ryuki. Despite my complete anger over that, it still could have done much better than how it resulted, look at Samurai.

I stopped watching after it got just plain dumb ,like 3 episodes in. Felt like the writers were drunk while they wrote it, though I must say the adapt process in remastering 8 year old footage into HD and its localization was leagues superior than what Power Rangers has never had. Ever.

If another series is given a go , I hope they do Faiz and straight adapt it , perhaps have a dubbed version of the source or OOO. Those I feel would do really well in America for foreseen reasons. OOO has a MMPR vibe coming from it while Faiz can EASILY be adapted as an update of the 1971 original,but with a Supernatural/Fringe vibe.
 

Whether you liked the series or not, is not where I'm trying to get at. The point I'm trying to get at is support!

I stopped watching after it got just plain dumb ,like 3 episodes in.

3 episodes? Wow! How can anyone see these toku shows profitable when "fans" like you don't really support shows that are actually been given to us in the states?
 


Which is what I'm pointing out as well. There was no support at all, weak channel, and I wish it was on Cartoon Network. It fits so much better there than on that. It might've actually gotten promotion.

It wasn't really enticing as its original counterpart. I decided to keep up on it through reading summaries. I believe it was up until the Scorpion and Taurus Riders came to the scene that it stopped being interesting to me. I loved the whole alien conqueror from another world deal, but the borrowing it took like the Rider War and few other concepts made me believe they should have ditched it altogether and made the other Riders aside from Ryuki and Wing Knight /Femme just plain evil. Granted I've only seen the first episode and bits and pieces of the films, but that felt much better executed than the American counterpart tried to do.

I'll give it another go when I get to it, but I need to get up on OOO more. That show is just plain amazing alongside Kuuga and Faiz. Haven't seen much of the Showa , but I've seen enough to get a definite feel for it.

I hope they release some kind of DVDs for the series because I can't afford to import the Japanese or European versions.

Either next time they dub it or adapt it head on and make it a hit in its own right separate from the Japanese original aside from costume designs. If it were radically different , it makes watching them much more refreshing.
 
I think the best case scenario for a western dub of Sentai would most likely be a parody dub, similar to Dynaman. Or maybe they'll pull a DinoThunder and air a dubbed Sentai episode featured within a PR episode.

Anything else is highly unlikely.
 
as for online streaming, what about hulu? maybe that could work.

Crunchyroll and Hulu would work. Youtube.... you can download all of the episodes with addons as its not encrypted so no on that unless they use Crackle's Flash player engine .Combine that with Google Adsense, and they could make serious dough from them. Just link to itunes for purchase.
 
3 episodes? Wow! How can anyone see these toku shows profitable when "fans" like you don't really support shows that are actually been given to us in the states?

I dropped Samurai after I've seen the very first episode of it. And everybody I know here in Russia done so.

There was no support at all, weak channel, and I wish it was on Cartoon Network. It fits so much better there than on that. It might've actually gotten promotion.

It was same here. No ads, no site section, nothing, just "Power Rangers Samurai" on TV. And, of course, blind idiot translation. Almost nobody cares about Power Rangers here, and even less people care about Japanese originals.


YouTube and Crunchyroll can do the job. Especially Youtube, it has ads for most countries and Toei can make money from it.
 

Good question.

Maybe they might consider dubbing Tokusatsu shows (most likely the one's that have not been under Saban's clutches, such as Winspector or Cybercops, etc..) if they were more aware of the fandom.

Til then, for you Americans there's still Kikaida, Kamen Rider V3 and Inazuman (from Hawaii) and even Ultraman original and Tiga. Here in the UK we never had Tokusatsu until 2009/10 ish when Cutie Honey The Movie was released on DVD. Since then Cutie Honney's been the ONLY form of Tokusatsu ever to make it to the UK.
 

and....HOW would they be successful. A dubbed show with scenes that parents would raise hell over with no real morale to the story
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…