Would like to change his avatar
kyo28 said:
I totally agree with that assumption. Since most (all?) foreigners are considered 'outsiders' vis-a-vis Japanese society, they don't care so much about them liking this or that ... or at least not as much as they would with Japanese people.

Hey! Why was it when I brought up that angle before you disagreed by saying "The Japanese probably pretend like they don't care [about adult foreigners liking the stuff], but probably really make fun of you behind your back," but now you're agreeing with it? Dude, WTF!?! :laugh:

I think people just too easily toss that word otaku around. (I shouldn't have deleted my other message, I'm just recycling what it said now). Otaku has a very succinct meaning and connotation -- I'm always reminded of the line from Psycho "A hobby's supposed to pass the time, not fill it," when thinking of otaku in their true forms. Otaku are the ones who lose their head in their love with a (enter certain form of entertainment here).

It's like Trekkies. Obviously people can watch, enjoy, be fans of Star Trek without losing touch. You can treat yourself to a few items of merchandising, because that's what it's there for. It's the ones who remodel their house to look like the entire starship interior, learn alien languages, buy the "alien" cookbooks eating on nothing but it, know every ship and planet statistic, referring to each other as "commander" and whatnot that means you...might...be...a Trekkie. It's a blind, incorrect assumption that people make that if you watch Star Trek, you're like those guys. So everyone who does indeed watch Star Trek does it out of shame because of those "rotten apples" tanking the perceived image of Trek viewers.

I think with tokusatsu, for example, when you begin to know every monster of the week name, mecha stat, anything you could ever possibly know all while doing multiple henshin poses and team attacks while your out getting the mail, then you might be an otaku. I think, as far as Japanese entertainment is concerned, that those outside of Japan can never really be a true toku or anime otaku because all of that information is never really available or understandable to most.

But you can watch and enjoy anime or tokusatsu, buy a couple things of merchandise, but people are so easy with throwing around "otaku" that you'd be labeled that just based on that. So, try as you might to not call yourself an otaku, the word really means nothing to most people other than someone of a certain age who enjoys those shows and has bought a piece of merchandising -- this isn't just toys, but DVD, CDs or magazines -- you're still an otaku to them. Again, I go back to my comics in America comparison. Comics are seen as kids and nerd stuff, so when one exits a comic shop, people have branded you with all of the negative connotations they apply to the stereotype. It's a terrible judgment, an awful assumption made by people, but, that's what they think.

I'm just repeating myself here, but I still find it slightly humorous that people have such a thing against others who like tokusatsu or anime (and aren't otaku), but they themselves have something curious that they have a fixation on, be it a movie star or drama series. There's numerous women of an older age who act like a childish teenybopper over someone like "Kimutaku" and any and every bad album and photobook he poops out, but Heaven forbid an adult male say he enjoy something like Kamen Rider Agito without being hauled off to be flogged. :laugh: Hypocrite central, but it won't change.

Banned
Heh -- thought I'd toss my two cents to certain portions in this thread.

Cosplayers have the nasty habit of using Japanese in their sentences. Example, this is from a thread posted at another forum, "PS. If this thread excised already, gomen nasai." I see it almost all the time at a particular cosplay forum. lol

As for Japanese in subs, I really don't mind it *IF* it's consistant. What I find annoying is if a fansub contains Japanese words in one sentence but in the next the English translation. I'll give an example, "Father! Father!" "Kaa-san is... alive!" -- That's annoying but the fansub group can translate it how they want but they should expect criticism because they bounce back and forth between the English word and the Japanese. And criticism is not badmouthing unless the criticism is an attack without merit like, "OMG! That group's translations sucks!"

As for merchandise, considering that dropping hundreds of dollars is possible due to the cost of things in Japan, why should it matter if a fan of something spends $100 on a single toy? Hell, I see adult men (here in the US) dropping thousands of dollars of the latest gadgets that come out or on video games. A hobby is a hobby is a hobby whether it be an inexpensive hobby (like collecting rocks) or an expensive one (like buying rare paintings). If you have the money then buy what you want but the trick is to remember that fantasy is not real and shouldn't consume a person.

WIIIIIIIIIIII!
Yeah, I guess I see where you guys are coming from, it's just a difference of definition. I know plenty of people who call themselves Trekkies but couldn't tell you the episode titles or remodel their ship to look like the enterprise. But I still don't think anyone acts like the guys in Densha Otoko. I'm sorry, that's like saying Kotarou is a realistic depiction of a japanese person.

Long one

Most of the stuff you guys have pointed out is why you never catch me speaking japanese with my friends, who don't know it. Only if they need to know something will I speak it, because wtf is the point when they don't know it. Like I helped break down one of the victory quotes from a game while we were playing it, everyone wanted to know so I helped.

I hate the Wapanese (yes, Wapanese) who use Japanese in general conversations.... I mean, that's like me saying something German in my daily speech. It's just odd and completely random.
Heh same goes for japanese who do the same for english.
Spending $100+ a week on tokusatsu toys is not ok. Who said such a thing is ok?
I don't spend that much on toys a week, but I love toys toku or not.
I don't consider myself obsessed, hardcore maybe (hey, I dropped the cash partly to go see some rock that was in the original Kamen Rider for about 10 seconds, right?) but I don't let it dominate my life.
This is the winner of the thread. Would you rather do something non(whatever) related with your friends? If not, well you're probably an otaku. I sure know that I enjoy myself alot more when I'm out with my friends going around town doing crazy **** than watching toku or anime.
I'll give an example, "Father! Father!" "Kaa-san is... alive!" -- That's annoying but the fansub group can translate it how they want but they should expect criticism because they bounce back and forth between the English word and the Japanese.
Good point :p
why should it matter if a fan of something spends $100 on a single toy
I haven't gotten this far yet, but I would only shell that much out if it were diecast or super fucking rare and badass.

boogie woogie feng shui
How distrubing.

I think you're all being pretty unflinchingly stubborn as to your "true definition of an 'otaku.'"

Some consider being an otaku a fan, some consider it obsessive, but who the hell is to say how much merchandise you have or how much time per day you spend watching anime/tokusatsu to be an otaku? This whole argument is pretty stupid.

And what difference does it make at the end of the day? ZeroKun, you like hanging out with your friends and doing "crazy ****" a lot, but I don't have any more respect for you because of that (no offense). In the same vein I'm sure there are tons of people on this board that never leave their computers; that have apple juice and potato chip grease stains on their wifebeaters that haven't been changed in 4 days; that masturbate to Sailor Moon hentai while discussing the nuances and criticisms on fanboards; that have the names and specs of all the mechs in all the Gundam series committed to heart; that live out of their parents' basements and haven't ever had a job because Goku didn't have a job and they'll be damned if they do something different than how Goku did it. Do I have any less respect for them? Well, yes, but it's because they don't change clothes. Not because they're fans and are passionate about something. Does this mean I have to sit around my computer and do these things? Not at all. Some people might think that I'm weird because I enjoy foreign professional wrestling, film directing, classical music, parkour, martial arts, and tea within the span of 24 hours, but I don't care, just because I do enjoy these things.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... what IS an otaku, really? And more importantly, what difference does it make one way or the other?

Why can't we all just get along and eat pie together? :redface2:

Well we all have our opinions on that, but I don't liked the people water down otaku here(US). Two of the native japanese people I know also hold the same opinion that the way english people use it only waters it down. But that doesn't speak for everyone, if you have a different feeling so be it, everyone does apparently and this has be going on for awhile. Try looking up the word otaku, though I'm sure most people know the true meaning.

Mad Skillz
ZeroKun said:
Well we all have our opinions on that, but I don't liked the people water down otaku here(US). Two of the native japanese people I know also hold the same opinion that the way english people use it only waters it down. But that doesn't speak for everyone, if you have a different feeling so be it, everyone does apparently and this has be going on for awhile. Try looking up the word otaku, though I'm sure most people know the true meaning.
True meaning? There's some people stubborn enough to believe it's a good word. I just think there are different degrees of Otaku.