Somebody asked me a few questions in PM, but in my overenthusiastic haste, I deleted the message (-_-#). So I thought it’s useful to give the answers to those questions in a thread, in the hope of that person (clearly a fan of Densha Otoko) being able to read it. Here goes:

1. What does the –shi suffix and –tan suffix mean in Densha Otoko? Is –tan limited to the Internet?
- The –shi ( 氏 ) suffix stems from old Japanese. They used to stick it onto a persons name in a similar way as they use –san now. It came into disuse but Otaku still use it in their slang. It can be loosely translated as an equivalent of –san, with just minor differences in connotation.

- The –tan suffix on the other hand is not really a suffix and is not directly related to –tyan (an often made misassumption). By attaching it to a name, one creates an endearing nickname. In this case, the ‘name’ is Hermes. By adding –tan one gets Hermes-tan, which is an endearing nick. You can compare it like this: ‘Superman’ is the name; ‘Supes’ is a derived nickname. Same analogy applies here.

- ‘tan’ is not limited to the Internet, it can be used (among many other of these kind of nicknaming suffixes) in spoken language, but not in formal written language, of course.

2. How do you spell ‘Anime’, with an accent on the e?
Anime is not written with an accent on the ‘e’, since it is a Romanized form of a Japanese word ( アニメ ). The French tend to put an accent on the ‘e’ purely for phonetic issues, but this is in fact a wrong way to transcribe. Moreover, its origin has nothing to do with French (in French, we say ‘animation’ or 'dessin animé', which has a different pronunciation than how Japanese pronounce it). The origin is quite simple: it’s short for アニメーション, a loanword from English.

3. What does ‘moe’ mean?
Again this is a word typical for Otaku-slang. It means they have an infatuation with a certain person (mostly a fictional female character). I don’t know the exact origin of the word, since I’m (fortunately) not part of the Otaku community. So if someone knows, I would also be happy to read about it (^_^)

That’s all I can remember. Hope this helps and if someone sees a mistake, please feel free to correct it.

kyo28 said:
- ‘tan’ is not limited to the Internet, it can be used (among many other of these kind of nicknaming suffixes) in spoken language, but not in formal written language, of course.

3. What does ‘moe’ mean?
Again this is a word typical for Otaku-slang. It means they have an infatuation with a certain person (mostly a fictional female character). I don’t know the exact origin of the word, since I’m (fortunately) not part of the Otaku community. So if someone knows, I would also be happy to read about it (^_^)

-tan has become a very popularly used suffix with the internet community these days. People have started making -tan mascots for anything and everything. The best example I can think of are the OS-tan group. (OS meaning "operating system" like; Windows 2000, Windows XP, Linux)

These OS-tan have become quite popular in the internet community and even have specificed special features they must have depending on certain characteristics of the operating system.

Here is the wiki regarding OS-tan;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-tan

There is also a wiki for "moe" located here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moé

WIIIIIIIIIIII!
kyo28 said:
since I’m (fortunately) not part of the Otaku community.

O_O?

You post on a Toku message board. And anyway, what would be wrong with that other than your girlfriend thinks the characters in Densha are gross?

Well I think it all depends on the degrees you are involved into this kind of show (and I think Kyusaku will back me up on this): if you're just watching it and it doesn't take over your private life: no harm, no foul.
If however you get so worked up into it that all your money and free time goes to toku, then there's a problem. Why do you think I sometimes write I didn't have time to watch something yet? Yep, real life takes precedence. Otaku on the other hand put all their time and efforts into their hobby (whatever it is)

VengeanceGOD said:
And anyway, what would be wrong with that other than your girlfriend thinks the characters in Densha are gross?
Tell that to over half of the Japanese population. Otaku have and probably always will be the laughing stocks and/or subject to discrimination. And actually, when I see how some Otaku act, I can understand people's reaction. I mean, when a guy is so out there that he genuinely believes he's dating Rei from Evangelion, there's more than one screw loose :redface2:

Honestly, the term Otaku is very much misinterpreted in the west compared to Japan. Here it's just a nick for people who watch anime/toku. In Japan it's a term to brand people that are so into their hobby that they become totally disconnected from their social life and reality. Try thinking of it like this:
Otaku = weird, obsessive nerd, mostly with very odd sexual preferences​
... would you like to count yourself among those??? I for one don't, hence my statement.

WIIIIIIIIIIII!
Eh. Read my other post, but people like us tend to get lumped into that category a lot over here. Maybe it's not as bad in Japan, but in America people tend to think ANYONE who doesn't have perfect social skills is as bad as you describe, which is why this has sort of annoyed me a tad.

kyo28 said:
Well I think it all depends on the degrees you are involved into this kind of show (and I think Kyusaku will back me up on this): if you're just watching it and it doesn't take over your private life: no harm, no foul.
If however you get so worked up into it that all your money and free time goes to toku, then there's a problem. Why do you think I sometimes write I didn't have time to watch something yet? Yep, real life takes precedence. Otaku on the other hand put all their time and efforts into their hobby (whatever it is)

Well, yeah. I mean if you look at a lot of the typical stereotype otakus, all they can talk about is some anime or something. Can't hold a regular conversation without making a comment or reference to some anime. I think it was in the Love Generation(Jdrama) where they had this one character, all he'd talk about is Evangelion, nothing else, man that guy was pathetic. VengeanceGod, did you ever look at the prices for some of the stuff that Densha bought in Akihabara that first episode? Which he seems to frequent on a weekly basis, he spent hundreds of dollars in 1 trip, probably his whole paycheck. So he spends his whole paycheck every week. What does that tell you?

kyo28 said:
Honestly, the term Otaku is very much misinterpreted in the west compared to Japan. Here it's just a nick for people who watch anime/toku. In Japan it's a term to brand people that are so into their hobby that they become totally disconnected from their social life and reality.

It's misrepresented because it just isn't as severe as here. I don't see people with body pillows of female anime characters walking around. Or dressed daily as their favorite anime character. It's much more generalized here because it's just harder to point out in general. You can consider Goths as otakus, because of the way they dress and act. Plus whenever americans try to use japanese cultural references they end up misusing it anyways. Like the idiots who use phrases they learn watching anime or something, without understanding how to actually spell it or understand its grammar.

Try thinking of it like this:
Otaku = weird, obsessive nerd, mostly with very odd sexual preferences​
... would you like to count yourself among those??? I for one don't, hence my statement.
LOL you just made me think of an amusing link someone in an IRC channel posted last night.
http://www.landpirates.net/quix/images/im18.jpg
This relates to the otaku lolicon fetish.

Lol that lolicon reference really nails it! (sorry for the pun)

Kyusaku said:
Plus whenever americans try to use japanese cultural references they end up misusing it anyways. Like the idiots who use phrases they learn watching anime or something, without understanding how to actually spell it or understand its grammar.
Sorry to go a bit off topic, but yeah, don't you just love those? I often see those exact same people laugh till they drop at 'Engrish', but their Japanese references are just as funny. :laugh: who can forget classics like "kawai zya nai"? And we all know we'll be seeing "kita---!" for years and years to come in all kinds of warped contexts. :laugh: (please note that I don't mean to say in any way that my Japanese is perfect, far from it)

I hate the Wapanese (yes, Wapanese) who use Japanese in general conversations.... I mean, that's like me saying something German in my daily speech. It's just odd and completely random.

"Oi! Look at my new shoes! Aren't they just Kawaii? These shoes...Atashi wa daisuki desu!"

Those sorts of "otaku's" are the worst...well...right next to fanbunnies, but they can pretty much be bunched into a selective group of sad and lonely people who won't get tail because they keep yapping to every girl they meet that the ending to Evangelion sucked and the creator should be killed....