Playing video games vs Watching movies

Which could keep you more entertained - watching movies or playing video games? For me, I like playing video games more over watching movies. A video game could keep me entertained for more than 2 hours whereas one movie could only entertain me for less than 2 hours. Games like Uncharted, The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid come to mind. I could play these games for 8 hours straight. :D

I have a feeling of emptiness whenever I finish a movie or a TV show, so that's one of the reasons why I prefer playing video games. 2 hours is way too short for a movie, and doesn't keep you entertained enough as much as playing games.

Some games have the open world feature where you can do a variety of side quests and missions which makes the game more entertaining, and longer-lasting. Saints Row: The Third, GTA series, and many other games that I haven't played yet. Some other games are linear, but the time it takes to complete an action game is significantly longer than a movie. The average time it takes for me to beat action games like Borderlands, Bioshock, Spec Ops: The Line, Darkness II, and some others is around 8 hours.

I would choose watching a movie. I see both things as recreation and watching a movie is more entertaining to me as it is more relaxing. I like the idea of giving my whole attention to the film to enjoy it while not doing anything. Playing games are tiring because you can be at it all day.

I have always loved playing video games. Nothing can even come close to it when it comes to the immersiveness and the feeling of being in the world. I get lost sometimes while playing a game like The Last of Us. Having said this, I think movies are completely different thing. They are not comparable to games.

There is a big difference between the two, when you watch a movie you may find yourself getting up to stretch, get a drink, use the bathroom ect.
But when you play video games you become so immersed in the game that you lose all concept of time and before you know it the sun is coming up
and you barely notice that you are dehydrated and unload about 5 gallons of urine in one trip to the bathroom.

I could definitely play Call of Duty for like 8 hours straight, yet I start getting restless after 90 minutes of a movie. Aside from the immersion factor, you can also take breaks whenever you want with videogames, so you don't have to be so intently focused because you might miss something.

Call of Duty is a really good action movie, just saying.

That aside, in terms of pure storytelling there are definitely strong contenders from both fields- The Last of Us and Bioshock infinite are recent examples of good video games that told a story pretty well, and I don't think I need to list examples of good movies.

Personally if I'm not doing anything during a movie I tend to get bored, so video games usually win out. I've probably put more hours into League of Legends alone than all the movies I've ever watched combined.

I could definitely play Call of Duty for like 8 hours straight, yet I start getting restless after 90 minutes of a movie. Aside from the immersion factor, you can also take breaks whenever you want with videogames, so you don't have to be so intently focused because you might miss something.

rue that. But let's face it - movies are always awesome, especially when you are watching 'em with your partner. My GF doesn't want me to play games for some unapparent reason. I will never comprehend why some girls hate gaming so much.

I have to say I love them both, and I thought I would love them together ( Beyond: Two Souls ) but I just ended up disappointed because they try to much to be a movie. But on the other hand "Last of Us" did it perfectly, it had the right amount of cinematics and interesting gameplay.. If you're in a situation like me, definely pick up the game!

Contributor
How about taking the middle ground and going for a visual novel? Final Fantasy X is almost one as it is...