Do Japanese People Think It's Funny We Use Chopsticks w/ Sushi?

Personally, I use my hands to eat sushi. Mostly because it's more convenient to eat it that way instead of using chopsticks. <_<'
 
It's already been said a few times, but yeah, it really is becoming a "personal preference" sort of thing. What we could call the "original, old-school tradition" would say to use your hands, as sushi is indeed meant to be finger food. However, it's becoming more and more common (for whatever reason) to see Japanese people in Japanese sushi joints using chopsticks. Chances are they wouldn't even give it a second thought if they see a Westerner/non-Japanese person eating sushi with chopsticks. If anything, I'd actually expect more surprised looks from them if they see a Westerner/non-Japanese going "old-school" and eating sushi with just their hands.


I'd prefer the donburi's though!
Oh gawd whoever invented oyakodon MUST be hailed a culinary genius.
:buttrock:
 
Call me gaijin-pie, but I always eat sushi with chopsticks, mainly because the one place I frequent the most usually tops their rolls with different kinds of sauces or masago or employs other miscellaneous culinary techniques that make it hard to eat by hand. I have been known to scoop it up by hand though, much to the surprise and disgust of my more culturally-inept friends. :D
 
I never knew they used their hands to eat sushi, but that's because I never entered any of the sushi shops when I was in Tokyo.
I prefer eating with chopsticks because... well, who knows my hands might not be clean. :sweat:
 
I Remember going into a Pizza Hut one time in Shanghai, everyone else was eating their slices was forks and knives, while me and my sister just dove in with our hands...needless to say they gave us odd looks.

Dunno if this is the same thing though.

Hmmm... I eat pizza with fork and knife too.

*gives DK "odd looks" :P

I prefer eating with chopsticks because... well, who knows my hands might not be clean. :sweat:

Same. I actually hardly ever use my bare hands to eat unless absolutely necessary (e.g. chicken wings)... I always use either chopsticks or a fork or spoon. I admit I am kind of germ-phobic so don't like getting my hands dirty or, of course, my hands could be dirty and then make me sick. Simply put, I am somewhat of a neat clean-freak. :sweat:
 
Last edited:

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top