That's because there's nothing in the context of the show to flatter. They're just incompetent to handle the problems in the show, so they're shown as such.

If the show was about how they solved their own crimes in their jurisdiction, maybe.

Why does incompetent have to equal clownish? Rinko's boss blowing his snot across the room and clipping his toenails on the desk is going beyond "displaying incompetence in fighting Phantoms".

1. It's not clownish. Rather, I'm not sure, I'm not an expert on clowns.
2. As NeonZ said, the entire tone of the show is like that.
3. It's not even the least incomprehensible for normal people to blow their snot like that or clip toenails behind the desk. But kids, remember, there's a reason why these guys are not your heroes.

Lurker
They better make the shoes and bullets available for defense forces to use.... Oh wait, let's endanger more lives! Yeah, bite me <_<

A simple passerby...
I love Kuuga. A LOT. The problem you guys are tackling just isn't going to be solved though. We're in an era where, I'd say partially due to the Den-O bloom, things happening in a Rider series is pretty much being handled with jokes half the time.

Even Kiva, which was supposed to be about Fangire Hunters pretty much didn't do **** with the Organisation which had what, 3 members in it?

Kuuga and Agito's level of police involvement and seriousness died the day they decided they didn't need to make it serious anymore.

Also, for the person who said since it's a kid's show, the fact that whether or not the police should be competent is irrelevant. Aren't you just insulting kids these days? What's the difference between a kid who was five years old (like me) when Kuuga came out and the kids who are five years old now and watching Drive? Are you saying dumbing down the content of the show is somehow somewhat more acceptable and that it's okay because it'll bring more toy sales or rating? I don't think that at all. In fact, people who are my age pretty much agree that KR is just being dumbed down for the sake of making money and saving cost. That's it. If they wanted to go all out, and make something like Faiz or Ryuki or even Kuuga again, they could. They just don't want to stray from a (barely) working formula because it's bothersome.

Lurker
I think this is just Sanjo quirk where he always force everything going too smoothly.
Drive is somewhat a secret but not like his predecessor, Tomari didn't do anything that make it look like secret.
But what happened?
No one care about his oblivious car.
No one care to ask witnesses about Drive and just go with what Otta witnessed.
A witnesss, kid, smart enough to figure this is secret while Tomari didn't tell or do something that make it look like a secret.
Chase, Heart obviously know about Drive identity and they didn't care. Even though Heart furious to what Drive did.
Weirdly everyone who knows didn't want to share their information.

Monster wrecking havoc is not a secret. Citizen know. Except police.
In one episode they show police call SCU freak because believe in monster.
But in ep 16, there is another police detective who help to catch roidmude.
It is funny because I see post about why Otta can't spell monster name correctly and why they didn't give Kiriko decent weapon.
And they give all of that in one episode.
Another Police. Otta is doing it on purpose. Kiriko get weapon.

Japaneseseriesfan said:
Also, for the person who said since it's a kid's show, the fact that whether or not the police should be competent is irrelevant. Aren't you just insulting kids these days? What's the difference between a kid who was five years old (like me) when Kuuga came out and the kids who are five years old now and watching Drive? Are you saying dumbing down the content of the show is somehow somewhat more acceptable and that it's okay because it'll bring more toy sales or rating? I don't think that at all. In fact, people who are my age pretty much agree that KR is just being dumbed down for the sake of making money and saving cost. That's it. If they wanted to go all out, and make something like Faiz or Ryuki or even Kuuga again, they could. They just don't want to stray from a (barely) working formula because it's bothersome.

It being for kids is why its exaggerated. It should be irrelevant either way.

ITs certainly not a cost cutting measure, as the cartoony effects are harder to do than just shooting it straight up.

I think this is just Sanjo quirk where he always force everything going too smoothly.
Drive is somewhat a secret but not like his predecessor, Tomari didn't do anything that make it look like secret.
But what happened?
No one care about his oblivious car.
No one care to ask witnesses about Drive and just go with what Otta witnessed.
A witnesss, kid, smart enough to figure this is secret while Tomari didn't tell or do something that make it look like a secret.
Chase, Heart obviously know about Drive identity and they didn't care. Even though Heart furious to what Drive did.
Weirdly everyone who knows didn't want to share their information.

Monster wrecking havoc is not a secret. Citizen know. Except police.
In one episode they show police call SCU freak because believe in monster.
But in ep 16, there is another police detective who help to catch roidmude.
It is funny because I see post about why Otta can't spell monster name correctly and why they didn't give Kiriko decent weapon.
And they give all of that in one episode.
Another Police. Otta is doing it on purpose. Kiriko get weapon.

If it were easy to get the police proper equipment, everyone would be a Kamen rider.

ALso its not just a Sanjo quirk. Every Rider show with a prominent police force after Kabuto has had an exaggerated incompetent police force.

Lurker
It being for kids is why its exaggerated. It should be irrelevant either way.

ITs certainly not a cost cutting measure, as the cartoony effects are harder to do than just shooting it straight up.

If it were easy to get the police proper equipment, everyone would be a Kamen rider.

ALso its not just a Sanjo quirk. Every Rider show with a prominent police force after Kabuto has had an exaggerated incompetent police force.

Kuuga get many equipment from police but again you didn't watch it. Kabuto Zecter is supported by police.
Den-O, Kiva, Decade, OOO, Gaim monster is supposedly secret and never mention if police know anything about it.
W and Wizard have their own section. Okay, they can't kill any monster but they still care about it.
It is never about equipment. It is about how they act after the fact.
Or specifically I don't understand what Sanjo want. Monster is not a secret, but police seem not care then again they care then again they are not.
And until now I don't understand why Krimm have to gather Kiriko, Rinna and Tomari in SCU. Its not like they get any merit at all.
If it is because SCU is the only unit who volunteered to take roidmude case, then it back to square one. Why police didn't care?

How they act after the fact is irrelevant because they cant handle it anyway. Youre focusing on useless details.

YOure just moving the goalposts here. Every non Kuuga series you mentioned had monsters raging around with the police ignoring them. You just ignore it because you're biased.

FAct is if the police really cared for those shows, we wouldnt have a Kamen Rider. Either that or lots of police dying.

Lurker
Just quickly interjecting, but are you or anyone in your family/friends a police officer?