Which was the better tribute show-KR Decade or Gokaiger?

Banned
Gokaiger kinda ends on a "To Be Continued" too though, since they head off into space to "start their real battle" after all.

The way I understood the ending was that they had finished off the big fish, and they were going to finish off the last of the little fish.

Digital Artist
FlashNeko, you brought up a lot of good points but I still think Decade was not as good as Gokaiger. It only executed some ideas that turned out awesome (a few of the AU worlds, Shinkenger crossover, Black/RX world) and the rest had you scratching your head. I'm still mad at the original ending too. That was not the best way to end a show at all. It felt like a cheap shot in a boxing match, where they give you a punch when you least expect and expect you to chase after them. That's how I felt with Toei's decision to do because they felt you HAD to go watch the movie to see the "real ending." Turned out that they had to revise the original ending just to properly lead into their movie. Not cool and not very smart.

You mentioned about Gokaiger's ending too. You are right that it felt cheap like Decade's. However, the team had already defeated the Zangyack and thus completed their mission. The way how Decade ended, everything wasn't settled yet. Kenzaki wanted to kick Decade's ass. Lol...The Gokaiger leaving away to fight the rest of the Zangyack is just the proper setup for an epilogue adventure so it was more fitting than a cliffhanger ending like in Decade.

Mad Skillz
I don't think one is really better than the other. In regards to the anniversary aspects, I think they both did a pretty bad job with a couple of exceptions. As stand alone series, they both had a lot of problems, but I really enjoyed them a lot when they were at their best.

Resident Precureologist
My vote goes to Gokaiger for many reasons. However, the best of these reasons was what happened when I showed both to other people who weren't into toku.

I showed Gokaiger, and they were looking forward to it, even watching episodes on their own computers while they waited for me to hook in my own to the widescreen. Everyone of the people in that group of twelve fell in love with the pirates and cried at the ending.

I showed them Decade, and the common reaction was "God, what a douchebag. Give us Marvelous!"

FlashNeko, you brought up a lot of good points but I still think Decade was not as good as Gokaiger. It only executed some ideas that turned out awesome (a few of the AU worlds, Shinkenger crossover, Black/RX world) and the rest had you scratching your head.

That's still a better record than Gokaiger which had... maybe one out of every ten episodes that was even watchable? And those were all episodes where the main cast was mostly absent from what was going on?

(For the record, I'd say the Carranger, Jetman, DaiRanger, Liveman, MegaRanger, and TimeRanger episodes are the only ones that are any good at all.)

I'm still mad at the original ending too. That was not the best way to end a show at all. It felt like a cheap shot in a boxing match, where they give you a punch when you least expect and expect you to chase after them.

Yeah, Decade's ending is unquestionably bad, I will never deny that.

I just... I dunno, I guess I'll take "flawed but with life" over... whatever the hell Gokaiger was.

I don't have low self esteem.
Gokaiger was a barrell of Pig Crap.

Decade was't brilliant at least it was SOMETHING..

Banned
Gokaiger was a barrell of Pig Crap.

Decade was't brilliant at least it was SOMETHING..

Even the people I know that love DCD understand how flawed the writing was. I am not saying gokai was a marvel of writing, but at least it was consistent. Yeah it had problems, but at least it didn't make up some reason for the show at the last minute. IMO that is what happened with DCD. The TV series ended, and they needed to come up with some reason it all happened. They couldn't come up with anything coherent, so they made it about the kids watching at home and killing riders to bring them back. And what do you mean by something? I mean a turd on the sidewalk is something.

Last edited:
Skreeong!
I think both series had good ideas, but Decade failed with me when he needed three cards to execute one attack.

Gokaiger failed in the villains with the exception of Basco.

but overall if I had to choose, it would be Gokaiger just because I enjoyed it more.

The best anniversary series however is still Ultram...*gets taken out by zodiarts ninjas*

I don't have low self esteem.
See I understand opinion and everything, but was DCD like your first subbed show? Or your first toku? Because even while liking it, I just can't see how you can call it brilliant. You also simply refer to it as "something". That implies you think gokaiger had nothing. So I am wondering what you found brilliant about DCD? I am honestly curious.

I only ask if it was your first show or first toku because usually people look on their first subbed show or first toku with rose glasses. Even the people I know that love DCD understand how flawed the writing was. I am not saying gokai was a marvel of writing, but at least it was consistent. Yeah it had problems, but at least it didn't make up some reason for the show at the last minute. IMO that is what happened with DCD. The TV series ended, and they needed to come up with some reason it all happened. They couldn't come up with anything coherent, so they made it about the kids watching at home and killing riders to bring them back.

Actually my first Toku was Tokei Winspector, WAAAAAAY back when I was a kid living in Germany. My first subbed show was Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger (HK)

OK I seemed to have made a Typo on my earlier post (that's what I get for typing too fast), what I meant was Decade WASN'T brilliant, but it was something. Meaning I wasn't really a keen fan of the series but somehow I still managed to enjoy it a bit. I never completed the series but judging from what I watched there are better Kamen Rider series around but in my opinion Decadeis at least better than Gokaiger.

Nice post!!
Both shows have their ups and downs. If we're just judging the shows by how well they paid tribute to their respective franchises, though, Gokaiger is leaps and bounds ahead of Decade. Actual guest stars, actual continuity references, and just a better sense that the show's creators understood why people like Sentai.