Silly Rookie
No, it REALLY doesn't.

The whole idea of "you're only allowed an opinion on something if you've sat through the entire show" is something I find kind of objectionable and offensive.

That's NOT what I said. Your opinion is limited only to what you've managed to watch. When you make any opinion, it's scope can only apply to what you've experienced. You can only talk about how much you've actually seen.

Any statement you try to make about THE SHOW AS A WHOLE is invalid, because you HAVEN'T watched the entire show. And yet to tried to do just that. At that point you aren't talking about anything you actually know about.

@ FlashNeko:

I understand how if you can't even get into a show, you can't finish the entire series and therefore can't put too much depth in your thoughts because you haven't seen the entire thing. For example I've seen every single Gundam series (cept Turn A and G, still need to watch those >.<), but the one that I absolutely cannot get into is Wing (funny how all the ones I don't like start with a "w"). So whenever I bring up how bad Wing it is, its only limited to the first 6 episodes of that show, of what I saw. And if I wanted to get a deeper analysis of the show without having to watch it, I can always do stuff like read my friend's article that she wrote for my our school's anime club. That article had over 1200 words and talks about just the politics and deeper topics that lie within the show, instead the mechs and pretty boys, which I find easier to understand when put into text.

For the comparison you made with W and OOO I would swap it around; because Bayformers is something I really find despicable for what they did with the Transformers franchise. Captain America = Hero. Eiji = true hero. His only desire is to obtain enough power to help those that he can and can't reach, just like how Cap. started out as the little helpless guy who couldn't help with the war until he got his powers. I see alot more similarities with Cap / Eiji and Bayformers / W more than the other way around. IMO W is the more flashy one, and he even states it out loud in the first episode, I mean come on, which other rider have you seen that stands there and point at the villain lecturing him/her before dispatching them ? Hell even G3 didn't try to arrest anyone in that suit of armor.

Also you might have missed the part where I said I hated the W "show", but liked ALL of their "movies". My favorite characters were Skull and Eternal, and I honestly thought the show should have been just about them, instead of revolving around hat-man and his walking wikipedia friend. Every single W movie has either been to introduce or tell us the backstory of the 2 riders, I love them both very much ~ and W gets to sort of stay as the background character. Also Accel's movie was one of the best action packed movies I've seen so even though I can't dig Accel's forms, I don't mind Terui and the choreography was just excellent. So in that sense, I don't dislike the W world, just the main character and the lack of side characters =/ Sure there were a few good W episodes, but its not enough to redeem for the entire show >.>

Last edited:
i liked the side-riders... accel, skull, eternal and joker... they were my favorite in the series...

i never like W's (bi)episodice nature... it seems to forced especially when we already know who the villain is, and especailly when akiko buts in and let the monster survive for another week... the accel arc and the finale arc were the best points of the series... there were great stories like Kirihiko's arc, philipp's origins arc, foundation X arc, but the movies which starred the riders I've mentioned earlier have more impact in the W pseudo-franchise,... its mostly due to the "filler" episodes that downplays the momentum that was building during those emotion heavy arcs...

OOO on the other hand felt like it have some shades of the first five heisei series... there were less stand alone episodes, most probably due to the "count the medal" plot... the arcs also over-lap more or less with each other like the intro arc, birth arc, hina's arc, ankh/lost ankh arc, eiji's origins arc, maki's arc, purple medal intro arc, and the finale arc... sure the movies were not that good but the characterizations and interactions of the characters in the series was great...

Nice post!!
Any statement you try to make about THE SHOW AS A WHOLE is invalid, because you HAVEN'T watched the entire show.

But was he speaking about the show, or the brand? I read his original post in the latter sense.

I don't think you need to sit through the original tie-in series to evaluate OOO as a brand, especially since the majority of OOO merchandise had to sell to people who didn't watch very much of the TV show. Likewise, the majority of people who saw the Wonderful movie also had to be people who hadn't seen very much of the TV show. There's no way to square those numbers.

As foreign fans dependent on bootlegs, the TV shows are central to our experience of the product, but they are not the totality of the product and they certainly aren't the totality of the brand. As these franchises are intended, you experience them through the toys, the TV show, the various tie-in magazines and manga, the films, and waves of merchandise and special attractions that never get outside of Japan. From a Japanese perspective, we as foreigners do not really know OOO.

I think it's very difficult to evaluate OOO as a brand and not say that it encourages consumption. In the TV episode I've seen, I would certainly say that encouraging desire and consumption as basically good things is presented as a theme. Certainly the show has gobs of toys it really wants you to buy, it has more toys than they could fit into a year-long show!

You have to put OOO in the context of ongoing problems in Japanese society. One of them is young people basically dropping out of society and refusing to want to buy consumer goods, or even to want to start families or own houses. So they don't want good jobs, which keeps most of the money in the hands of the "bubble generation," and perpetuates a great number of very serious social problems.

I think Eiji is meant as a stand-in for this generation, and the idea of "helping the people within reach" is trying to encourage young people to be satisfied not with solving the world's problems, but just solving the problems of their community. That's not a bad theme, I think, from a Japanese perspective. From my personal perspective as an American viewer, it picks up connotations of mindless, shallow consumerism. My cultural experiences are very different than those of a young Japanese person's, though.

At the end of the day, I can't get into OOO because I can't get into a brand that's basically about how it's awesome to want things and then buy them. You cannot argue that's not something inherent in a great deal of the show without, I think, engaging in a great deal of projection. And while most Rider shows encourage projection, you can't really apply those feelings to critique.*

*Unless you're Igadevil and can write about subjective emotional experiences in a way that's compelling and enlightening. Most fans? A pretty long way from Igadevil.

For the comparison you made with W and OOO I would swap it around; because Bayformers is something I really find despicable for what they did with the Transformers franchise.

Yeah, it's awful how Michael Bay made popular action movies that a lot of people really enjoyed, and breathed new life into the Transformers franchise which allowed Hasbro to fund several other high-profile projects like Transformed Animated and Transformers Prime. That evil Michael Bay, making people like Transformers again!

Look, I personally find the Bayformers movies ****, but Bay did nothing despicable to the Transformers brand. He made people like it, he made all the various editions and arms of the brand more visible and marketable, and he even brought in some new ideas that some people hold very dearly. Bad movies can do good things for a brand, and to evaluate that brand reasonably, you really have to set aside useless personal opinions like "the movies were ****, ergo everything that came out of them must be ****."

His only desire is to obtain enough power to help those that he can and can't reach, just like how Cap. started out as the little helpless guy who couldn't help with the war until he got his powers.

I do not see how this comparison is in any way valid. Cap is a character about transcending limitations; he is the Eiji who wanted to go to Africa and save people he'd never seen before. Cap is just successful at this, where Eiji's efforts were a miserable life-destroying failure. Eiji doesn't save anyone in Africa; Cap rescues the Howling Commandos with the aid of only one other person, relying on the gifts of the Super Soldier Serum and his own heart.

The character most like Eiji in Captain America: The First Avenger is Bucky Barnes. He is the man who does not believe in transcending personal limitations, he is the man who simply wants to solve the problems that are within his reach. I think it says a lot about the fundamental differences between these works-- and the cultural assumptions that inform them-- that Eiji is the hero of OOO, and his viewpoint seems to be ultimately triumphant there, while Bucky is the sidekick in Captain America, and his viewpoint ultimately shown to be inferior to Cap's.

Incidentally, if there is a character like Steve Rogers in the Rider mythos, it is Joe Shigeru, Kamen Rider Stronger. Joe is a man who wanted to change the world, needed power to do this, and so went out to get it-- no matter the cost to himself. It is very difficult to argue that, while Joe paid a high price, he was still ultimately successful in his goals.

If Eiji has a true Marvel Comics counterpart, it would be a guy like Spider-Man who tries to do as much good as he can with the power he has, but keeps making mistakes and getting all sorts of crazy people involved in his life. He never has enough money and even when people seem to be doing him favors, it's not necessarily with his best interests in mind. "The ol' Hino luck" has a certain ring to it...

IMO W is the more flashy one, and he even states it out loud in the first episode, I mean come on, which other rider have you seen that stands there and point at the villain lecturing him/her before dispatching them ?

A lot of them? Hongo lectures villains in the original manga, yelling about being the warrior chosen by nature. V3 I seem to recall lectures villains, though in a taunting way. Stronger doesn't just lecture them, he laughs at them! Of course, the villains of early Showa were much blacker bad guys than you saw later on, and the lectures were just pomp and circumstance. Early Heisei Riders tended to fight unknowable menaces that simply couldn't be lectured, while later Heisei Riders didn't really have the right personality for it. With Showa, it was quite variable and not a constant thing even in shows that did it.

But anyway, it's very strange to act like W was doing anything but following genre conventions with Shotaro's behavior. That's the point: Shotaro is behaving like his idea of how a hero behaves, which is entirely derived from novels and media. Shotaro is a dreamer, and probably has a bit more in common with Nobuo Akagi than he'd like to admit. He's a fundamentally deluded man. Compare W's behavior to, say, Skull or Eternal's... those are guys whose behavior is informed by their experiences, not by things they've read or dreamed about. They are explicitly what they are to contrast Shotaro, and probably wouldn't seem as cool in a franchise focused on a different sort of protagonist-- say, a more practical man like Kenzaki, a shrinking violet like Ryotaro, or an embittered loner like Takumi. The same contrast just wouldn't be there.

Hell even G3 didn't try to arrest anyone in that suit of armor.

... because the function of G3 was to destroy monsters, not to go after criminals like he was Signalman? Seriously, what the hell does this mean? Are you saying it's morally wrong for the hero to say anything to a monster at all?

My favorite characters were Skull and Eternal, and I honestly thought the show should have been just about them, instead of revolving around hat-man and his walking wikipedia friend.

Skull was cool. Eternal was cool. Yet I would defy any writer, no matter how talented, to get 26 hours of TV scripts out of either of them. I dunno, maybe Inoue could pull it off with Eternal, but expect a lot of blindness and rivers and dicking around with secondary characters to kill time.

The characters are simply not designed to be able to support that much running time. They were designed to be shown in movies, and each have about ninety minutes of story time built in to each of them. To fill up an entire TV show, you need a guy like Shotaro or Eiji who can go through some form of meaningful character arc. You need a guy, like Shotaro or Eiji, who can have friends, move around pretty freely, and take interest in the problems of guest characters for whatever reason.

The entire point of Eternal and Skull is that they're both men embittered by their experiences, isolated by their circumstances, and alone in a hostile world. An entire TV show about their adventures would, I think, quickly become more repetitive than any episode Showa Rider. They're both characters designed to do, more or less, one thing. The more time you spent with them, the more this limitation would become obvious and painful. Guys like Hongo and Shiro are very layered in comparison, and I don't think either of them were designed to be especially complex.

OOO on the other hand felt like it have some shades of the first five heisei series...

Which all stuck, very rigidly, to the two-episode format that you just complained W using! OOO used it, too, it just did a few things to try and disguise it. For instance, a monster would only appear in two episodes, but some unrelated B and C runners would extend through the next several arcs.

The core of the two-episode format is that it's something Kuuga did to cut production costs, because it meant you could use the same monster suit for two episodes. That meant the series as a whole only had to construct around 26 weekly monster suits, instead of around 50.

Heisei Rider has stuck to this very religiously in the years following Kuuga for the same reasons. You can say that one show or another handled it better or best, but you are kidding yourself if you think any of Kuuga's successors hasn't pretty much stuck to it.

In this battle of W vs OOO's, I personally prefer W. I've always been a fan of detective stories and kamen rider. So, W being a combination of the two clinches it for me.

I love Double. I hate OOOs.

I could go on a long rant about both subjects but I think the best comparison I've heard on the subject is this:

Both shows feature a character who's entire goal throughout is to collect as many of the Evil Super Power Items as possible.

In Double it's Isaka and his mindless consumption is shown as a bad thing that causes him to be consumed by it in turn.

In OOOs it's Eiji and his mindless consumption is shown as a good thing that makes him become Super Special Awesome.

Erm...Were we watching the same show? Like, even the first two or so episodes?

The entire series gimmick was about how blind consumption/drive towards any single goal was a very bad thing. To the point even the major villains of the series can be turned into something they fear bordering on an eldritch horror because of it. And the heroes one unselfish goal almost dooms mankind even while saving it.

The whole thing was about desire run rampant, and the understanding that while desire is necessary on some level, it needs to be tempered.

Hence why Eiji, whom was not going after medals most of the time, was partnered with Ankh, whom was ravenous for them during most of the series. Selflessness and selfishness tempering each other.

And on that note, I preferred W. Great series, great pacing, great acting. Love the detective motif, the music, the backstory. Heck, even the screwball-comedy style it had in it's less serious moments. The costume felt new and yet so very Ishinomori-apropriate. Great show. Best of the Hesei in my opinion.

OOO had more potential, but Double was more successfully realised. In my opinion that seems to be true for the suit designs, gimmicks, message the show tries to send, development of the bad guys, and even the music. Both series did things right (Shotaro and Ankh are two of my favourite toku characters). Both series did things wrong (neither the Kougami Foundation OR Foundation X really integrate properly with the main story). For me it, all comes down to the fact that both are trying to tell the stories of a partnership.

In Double the partnership of Philip and Shotaro is shown to be a rock solid source of strength that allows both of them to grow as people beyond what either would have managed to do alone. In OOO it's a partnership born when two people who verge on standing against one another instead find it more convenient to exploit each other for their own gain, and through that form something of an understanding, which eventually develops into a friendship (despite their differences never really being resolved).

In Double the other core characters exist to provide comparisons to that central relationship. Accel has both Shotaro's determination and Philip's power, which should make him the complete package, but he never grows as tall as he is merely the sum of their parts, while the W partnership allows them to be more than that. Nazca is Shotaro's dark counterpart, Eternal is Philip's dark counterpart. Skull is their goal, their ideal, which they actually end up surpassing both as a team and individually. Akiko walks the path Shotaro would have gone down, had he not met Philip when he did.

With OOO, I generally get the feeling that the character arcs were not conceived right from the beginning. They just kind of kicked in halfway through. In an early episode Eiji offers to give away his driver to Goto; but later he insists being OOO is the fulfilment of his dream. Ankh initially simply wants to be the very best (like no-one ever was). Then later he is suddenly given a traditional pinocchio story (artificial lifeform wants to be real). Similarly, I don't get the same sense that the other characters are there to enhance that main partnership. That isn't to say all of Eiji and Ankh's allies are uninteresting, but the writing doesn't feel as tight. You could claim Nobunaga is a dark(er) counterpart to Ankh, but unfortunately he was only in one below-par movie.

End result; the partnership in OOO was potentially much more interesting. But I think Double told that central story more successfully. As a result, I'd rank it higher.

Nice post!!
Erm...Were we watching the same show? Like, even the first two or so episodes?

So, in episode 3 or 4 of OOO, Eiji is having a conversation with Hina that I seem to remember going mostly like this.

HINA: So... is desire evil?
EIJI: Nah, I think it's pretty natural to want things. Just don't overdo it!

And that I feel was pretty much what OOO was about, I certainly haven't seen any episode that contradicts it. For all the talk about "desire" in the show, the concept it was actually talking about would've been better expressed in English as "obsession." And even then, the show refuses to depict certain obsessions as evil (Kougami's cakes, Ankh's popsicles).

The show is really about how it's bad to get so obsessed with something that you do things that end with innocent people getting hurt (even if that person is yourself). And... honestly, there's not a whole lot of Toei hero tokusatsu that isn't about that! The idea of the character, hero or villain, who is driven by obsession to terrible things is a very basic one in this genre.

Lurker
I like W but as a show i wasn't sure and i've watched it but the movies for W were awesome as a series i would have to go with OOOs only because its overarching plot, its arcs, its storytelling and the heroes were a bit more enjoyable and every week you wanna see what would happen

VOTE: OOO