Because I can, I will go through them all:
Original series: Damn near perfect. Everything. I love the fights. I love the locations. I love Ichimonji's big return. I love Black Shôgun's death scene. And I love how in the end, it's really as much about Taki as the Riders, since he (along with Tachibana and the Leader) are the
real regulars of the show. The closing scene's musical parallel to the final moments of the first episode was probably entirely coincidental, but it's incredible. I could seriously watch these two episodes all day, I like them that much.
V3: I like it more than I used to. After the emotional roller coaster and twist ending gut-punch that is #51, it's sort of a step down. V3 beats Marshal Armor, fights some old monsters and meets the big bad (maybe...), and that's it. As I've probably said before, as the 2nd part of a 5-act story spanning the original to Stronger, it works.
I do wish there'd been more time for Junko though, and the big denouement of her obviously knowing Kazami is V3 (she does, I don't care what anyone says.) It's the ending of the classic series that's most begging for a "and then this happened" sequel. If Toei ever makes my dream Rider series, V3's episodes are going to involve the reunion between Miyauchi and Ono to settle unfinished business. :anime:
X: Solid finale. Ties up the plot of the show, throws in a neat twist relating back to the first episode, and X-Rider gets to be badass by fighting something that usually takes several Riders to handle. Plus the way he kills the actual final villain is radical. Great ending to a great series.
Amazon: Like X-Rider's, it does everything it needs to. We see what the big deal is with the bracelets, there's some nice gory deaths (it's Amazon, there has to be) and the ending with him continuing on his 'journey', a theme that was nicely echoed in the Decade episodes.
Stronger: What more can you say about this one? Next to the original, it's my other top Rider ending. Reunites the 7 original Riders with the man who knew them all to fight them enemy that's plagued them since the beginning. If Kamen Rider had actually ended there, it would have been the perfect send-off. Classic.
New Kamen Rider: Sort of like a darker counterpart to Stronger's. That ended on a triumphant note, whereas this one is more uncertain and bittersweet. I like how, after really not knowing much about Tsukuba's background for the series, we suddenly learn quite a bit, and not all of it happy. The ending battle manages to be more than just another "fight against a giant thing" because of emotions charging the whole thing at that point. Skyrider is not in a good mood in his finale, and it makes things all the more exciting.
Super-1: Pretty standard, but good enough. Supes beats the baddies with help from a bigass sword, and Oki gets to finally go into space. Can't really complain.
BLACK: Like V3, in the old days of the 90's, I think 'everybody' knew more about the penultimate episode (or a certain scene from it) than the actual finale. Dunno about now, but I like it. There's some weirdness, some pathos, some stabby, and in a fashion true to the series, it manages to be heroic and uplifting while also being pretty melancholy. It's a good one.
BLACK RX: Ambitious, you gotta give it that. I always liked it okay. The presence of the old Riders is nice but the biggest battles are still down to RX, which you either may or may not like. He's not overshadowed, but on the other hand, why are they all there again? I never particularly minded, but it would have been nice to get an 11-man Rider Kick in there. Not much else to say, it's one I should go watch again soon.
Kuuga: Let me quote myself from another old thread:
Igadevil said:
It's the only Rider series thus far to have an ending which is basically an extended epilogue. Most of the time, it's half or 2/3 action followed by a quick wrap-up, but Kuuga gives us a whole episode to say goodbye. My feelings on the ending are that while it's weak as far as all the *Kamen Rider* last episodes go (I like the 2/3 action-wrap-up style), it fits *Kuuga* perfectly. Because, as I've been saying, Kuuga's different.
A big point of the final battle in the penultimate episode was to show that for Godai, deep down, it kinda sucked being Kuuga. So it makes sense that his story would end not riding off into the sunset, but... well, juggling in Cuba. I wouldn't want to see this kind of ending done again, but the one time they did it, it worked so well in the context of the series, I can overlook the fact that nobody gets punched out for 23-24 minutes.
And there you go.
Agito: The build-up takes its sweet time, but I've always liked the final episode itself, because of how small-scale it ends up being. After a series full of people turning into Agitos and Unknown coming out of the woodwork, it's sort of cool how it all comes down to a couple guys in the woods. For all the half-Agitos and almost-Agitos and Another Agitos and G4s and G3-Milds and G-whatsits spin-offs, in the end it's about the 3 Kamen Riders. The wrap-up is cute and Shouichi opening his own restaurant is great.
Ryuki: As I was saying the other day, the thing I like about the Ryuki ending is that for everything to not happen, it all did actually have to happen to make it un-happen. What I mean is, you wouldn't get the reset button ending without someone seeing the need to push it in the first place. So I like the time trickery involved there. As for the rest of it... alright, but I always liked Episode Final better. That to me is how the story should end- everything spirals out of Kanzaki's control, and Shinji & Ren can get on with heroics (and in my head, they won.)
Faiz: I don't hate it, I don't love it, it's just sort of there. I'm sort of ambivalent about most of Faiz anyway, so I can't say I was really disappointed, but if you liked Faiz a lot well... hopefully you found something to like in it, because it doesn't seem like many people did. You gotta love the fact that the show's writer himself makes a cameo appearance just to tell Takuma how much he sucks though.
Blade: This one's hard because I am one of the few who seem to love Missing Ace, and yet the TV Blade ending is very good too. I like them both, but for very different reasons. I slightly prefer the movie ending, because I always felt that if anyone had to make the big sacrifice, it'd be Hajime, and I've gone on before about the other things that movie does that I really love.
As for TV, it's pretty bold and I remember it causing a stir in 2005, not quite on the level of Decade's, but still a couple fans of the show being really turned off by that twist. I like it, though it's one of the more uncomfortable endings. I remember practically saying "No no no don't!" to the TV as it became evident what was going to happen. As a Kenzaki fan, it's both sort of his greatest triumph and his ultimate defeat. Like V3 or Faiz, I'd like to see someone pick up on what happens next some day.
Hibiki: This one's another divisive ending. There's two ways I think you could really look at it. One the one hand, it's a brilliant return to what Hibiki was all about- an outsider's glimpse into just a small part of a never-ending battle stretching back for centuries, far bigger than the series itself. Hibiki began with Asumu discovering Hibiki's world and ends with him coming to terms over how he's got to play his own tune. So in a way, it's
his ending in Hibiki, even if Hibiki's story will continue on.
On the other hand, you might say it's the ultimate testament to the fact that Hibiki was broken with the dismissal of the original writers, Inoue drove it further into the ground and then just threw up his hands when the time came for the climactic finish. So we get a huge battle that goes unresolved, Kiriya doing what everyone thought Asumu was building towards, a pretty mediocre final enemy and the revelation that the dudes we thought were the puppet masters are themselves just more puppets, and argh when does Kabuto start!?
I'm sort of in the middle again, because I can understand both views. I don't really dislike it, but it's also not a really good ending as far as the part of the show I'm interested in goes (that being the Oni stuff.) I always felt the original intent was that Asumu would join the Oni ranks, so it was going to be about how he, under the tutelage of Hibiki, makes a difference by ending the 'war'. But I guess 'twas not to be. I've been talking a lot about sequels and follow-ups, and the thing I really do like about Hibiki's ending is that it's open enough to allow for some pretty neat ideas of your own about what happens next. I've often thought about what would be a cool story that both justifies and deconstructs that ending, but that's a story I'll have to write some other day.
Kabuto: I've always been charitable to this one, because again, it's one of those "I think it fit the series" endings. I wouldn't call it one of my favorites, but I like how just plain wacky it is. Tendou does outrageous stunts (the flower thing), Kagami screams a lot, the ZECT troopers are still useless, everything just sort of blows up at the end, and there's cooking. Dark Kabuto's death is so fast I had to go back and watch it again just to make sure that was him. Daisuke's "Hey, I'm not dead!" appearance is almost like self-parody. Negishi & Mishima are competing to see who can chew the most scenery (I love their twin "KABUTOOOOOOOOO!" moments.) It's exciting and nonsensical, like they were just making it up as they went. I find it a ton of fun.
Den-O: Is it the ending anymore? I don't even know! I liked it at the time though. I have not seen it since, so I dunno how it holds up now after all these other Den-O adventures, but my memories of it are good ones.
Kiva: Felt like it did what it needed to do, and seemed to wrap up the big things. Good fights. Like Den-O's, I need to watch it again. That surprise ending was weird and confusing at the time (was it tying into Decade, many wondered) but now it's just this funny little coda. I like it, but I should see it a second time before judging further.
Decade: I can't add much more that I didn't say when I reviewed it (and liked it), but even then it's not really the ending... this is one that'll just take time to come to a conclusion on. In a couple years, when you can sit down and watch the whole series and then the movie(s) right after, how will it hold up? I have to admire their guts in doing something like this. I just hope it pays off in the end.