You have without a doubt the most thoughtful insight into the inner-workings of a Kamen Rider series though. For someone like myself, a more casual fan, I see forumulas being repeated in the classic shows and new formulas being created and repeated in newer series'. I guess my question is why expect a classic formula to always be carried over? That makes every new series that premiers that much less creative.
I especially take issue with the animal motif complaint, about the Riders not being "bug based." Where in the name "Kamen/Masked Rider" does it say anything about insects? I think that's a pretty copout complaint for not liking a show like Ryuuki or Hibiki. What I see is people not wanting to give shows a chance because their perception of what is "normal" has been shaken up.
The motif thing, for lack of a better phrase, never really bugged me. In part because when you've seen some of the stuff Kamen Rider was going to look like, everything we've actually gotten looks pretty good by comparison (see the original Super-1 designs if you want to appreciate just how good he really looks!) And I really can't say I find most of the new Rider designs to be that out-of-place since there's pre-Kuuga art that are show early signs of 'em (Ryuki's grill-eyes pop up a lot.) There's almost always some precedent to these things. It's also worth pointing out that they were experimenting even in the early days; everybody knows about Amazon, but early on X-Rider was going to be a snail at one point (and if anyone thinks snails are insects, I got a bridge to sell you.) The different animals of Ryuki was actually one of the things I really liked.
That's kind of funny, because Amazon is my personal favorite Masked Rider (even if in name only). And he's not even an insect, much less a cyborg! (He's a sort-of mutant, like Inazuman.)
I don't mind a non-insect motif, but what I do mind is seeing beefy Metal Heroes under a different name. (This sort of started with Agito, who had a much beefier costume.) I'm more used to the slimmer, sleeker Spidey-like Showa Riders. For me, simpler is better.
The problem I've always had with the Heisei Riders is the same problem I've had with newer Super Sentai; It's just plain convoluted, and there's nothing straightforward about it. Too many Riders to sell toys, when they could've saved them for their own series. Just like Super Sentai, Toei runs it into the ground.
See, I HATE newer Toei Superhero shows for a reason. Toei has become so cynical. Just as bad as, or maybe worse than Toho's been with Godzilla lately. It just cannot be my concern.
*sigh* I can't go on.
I'll tell you what; as a consequence, I'll stop ranting about these shows like some jaded old fogey, and just move on. Arguing over personal taste is agreeably pointless. Besides, some really good friends here are fans of the Heisei Rider Series, and we can respectfully agree to disagree. If it's not my concern, I shouldn't even talk about it (much less think about it).
I prefer Another Agito to Gills. Far creepier design that does more for me.Out of the attempts at a monsterous/organic type Rider Gills is the one I liked the most visually plus I dug the character. I think what I liked is that the design is so well-balanced between the Rider elements and the monsterous ones which works for me moreso than Shin who to me is just a monster. I mean I realize maybe that's the point but still.
But I think that's something that we get hung up on needlessly. I think Hibiki gives some idea where Ishinomori would've gone, and it's as far from the Kamen Rider look as you can get. Much like Tomino's Turn A was atypical of Gundam series.To me the insect motif is not only just something I happen to like but I just think it's a necessary part of Rider's visual identity. A sort of iconic characteristic that distinguishes a Kamen Rider from just being another one 3 billion other henshin hero guys running around.
Kabuto is bar-none my favorite design. Very sleek, very simple. Followed closely by Faiz, and then Kuuga Ultimate.I will say in a lot of ways I see your point on this one and I've certainally talked at length about my own disdain for very gaudy and bulky Bandai quota Rider designs. At the same time though to me Kuuga is sleek. Agito before his last two forms is sleek. G3 is bulky but in a way that works and works for that concept and character while still being Rider. Gills is sleek before they stuck him with a alt. form that made him look like a demonic Christmas tree. Faiz is sleek. I guess the point I'm making is that the Heisei Rider shows can do sleek when they give a damn about something other than making another shinny thing for Bandai. Or when they're *allowed* to do something more than just another shinny thing for Bandai.
The only shows in which you've gotten no Rider vs Rider are Kuuga and Den-O. Outside of Den-O, seemingly having multiple Riders means they'll probably come into conflict at some point. Otherwise, the Riders will usually start or end up on opposing viewpoints.It's a combination of that and the overuse of the Rider vs. Rider thing. It becoming so much more about who can beat up who, who's "badass". I mean I really don't give a **** if these guys can beat each other up. Not to say that I can't enjoy *some* of that Rider vs. Rider conflict or the dramatic potential of it. To a point. But it's like with hero vs. hero in American comics. It's become an endless "my dad can beat up your dad". Oh ,can Batman beat up Superman. **** THAT! They're both heroes. They're both cool! Let the action come from their character interaction, their heroics and the battle against the real threat. I don't need my favorite superhero to be able to beat up your favorite superhero to feel good about the fact I like that superhero.
Amazon is not one of my fav's out of the Showa Riders. But I respect his place in history and you can't have em there without him.
Out of the attempts at a monsterous/organic type Rider Gills is the one I liked the most visually plus I dug the character. I think what I liked is that the design is so well-balanced between the Rider elements and the monsterous ones which works for me moreso than Shin who to me is just a monster. I mean I realize maybe that's the point but still.
To me the insect motif is not only just something I happen to like but I just think it's a necessary part of Rider's visual identity. A sort of iconic characteristic that distinguishes a Kamen Rider from just being another one 3 billion other henshin hero guys running around.
I will say in a lot of ways I see your point on this one and I've certainally talked at length about my own disdain for very gaudy and bulky Bandai quota Rider designs. At the same time though to me Kuuga is sleek. Agito before his last two forms is sleek. G3 is bulky but in a way that works and works for that concept and character while still being Rider. Gills is sleek before they stuck him with a alt. form that made him look like a demonic Christmas tree. Faiz is sleek. I guess the point I'm making is that the Heisei Rider shows can do sleek when they give a damn about something other than making another shinny thing for Bandai. Or when they're *allowed* to do something more than just another shinny thing for Bandai.
I'm open to some variation but I more or less agree.
It's a combination of that and the overuse of the Rider vs. Rider thing. It becoming so much more about who can beat up who, who's "badass". I mean I really don't give a **** if these guys can beat each other up. Not to say that I can't enjoy *some* of that Rider vs. Rider conflict or the dramatic potential of it. To a point. But it's like with hero vs. hero in American comics. It's become an endless "my dad can beat up your dad". Oh ,can Batman beat up Superman. **** THAT! They're both heroes. They're both cool! Let the action come from their character interaction, their heroics and the battle against the real threat. I don't need my favorite superhero to be able to beat up your favorite superhero to feel good about the fact I like that superhero.
See, I understand why people get frustrated at negativity and it's a fair enough point. "Don't like it don't watch it" well, duh. Fair enough and when I've decided nothing about a show works for me I don't.
But at the same time I don't think there should be some sort of moratorium on being able to express that you don't enjoy the current direction of or certain aspect of a current direction of something that you used to really enjoy. Or even to be able to say that you've noticed this thing or that thing has been a trend in these shows lately and it's kinda dumb and annoying.
I don't think it should be you either happily except whatever shinny thing Bandai is feeding you as the epitome of "badass" or you are forbidden to comment. You basically stated what you didn't like about them and that was topic of the thread. It's not like ran into a "Den-O is the most beautiful thing of sweetness ever!" thread and declared anybody who likes the show is a moron.
I appreciate how you're cool about your dislike for Den-O unlike the idiots who try to put me down for liking it.
You can feel however you want, but using something like "the suits are too much like Metal Heroes" as a reason for not liking new Kamen Rider shows is pretty weak.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?