So like, BraTorDile? In an ideal world you could actually localize the snake as well ('bra' is two syllables in Japanese, one in English, so maybe like 'Pytho' or...) wait, no! Boa! As in a boa constrictor! You can then keep that syllable basically exactly the same, but you have a good reason for it to be two syllables.

Why would you localise the snake? It's a cobra. That's not japanese, that's an english name for the specific snake the medal is based on. Why would you change it to Boa when the medal specificly lets him attack with a cobra?

Alice or Guilty
Which is entirely why I said "in an ideal world", you obviously couldn't do it because... yeah, he uses a cobra. But if it was purely "what's the most ideal way you could make that jingle work just as well in English as in Japanese", that's how I'd do it. :V

Shyni
Sure you can ‘translate’ stuff like the honorifics, as bizarre as it will inevitably end up sounding.
Honorifics don't actually exist in the English language, so inevitably they'll sound unnatural.

But what about the other cultural terms and practices that have to “demand the person watching to integrate themselves†into the culture of another country? Where does one draw this line? Idioms? Puns? Food? Traditions? Names? Locations? What is “Golden Week’? What is ‘omotenashi’? What is ‘onee-sama’? What is ‘otaku’? Should one ‘translate’ wasabi as ‘Japanese horseradish’? Then are sushi ‘pieces of assorted fish on rice wrapped with seaweed’?
I'm not sure about "onee-sama" since English speakers don't usually need that kind of term, but I'm pretty sure "Golden Week" is just "Golden Week". "Sushi" and "wasabi" are valid loanwards in English, unlike say... nakama. (pardon the obvious comparison). As for otaku, (although apparently it is a valid English word) I'm not completely sure, but I recall at least a few episodes of the Bandai Asia(?) subs of Akibaranger on YouTube used "nerd". This was kinda weird since they actually used the word "waifu".

But, I'd say drawing the line at "is this a valid word in English" is probably alright, so you don't end up being too arbitrary.

If you ask me, you can’t have your cake and eat it – watching Japanese anime or tokusatsu without wanting any of the ‘Japaneseness’. I for one don’t watch American TV shows without expecting to learn some of America’s culture. Fido? Independence Day? Philly Cheesesteak? Yup. I don't suppose you watch British television shows or movies and expect 'torch' to be localized into 'flashlight' or 'car park' into 'parking lot' do you?
I don't think localization in this case is really about being "American", but more like "only use English words". I don't think there's any need to appeal to the jingoistic(?) "only 'Murrican is real English" crowd.

But, in the end, that’s just my opinion. And you are entitled to yours too. All in all, I guess what it all boils down to is what you consider to be a good translation. One that respects the source material more and is more accurate to it aimed at die-hard fans? Or one that is easy for new members of the target audience to get into? That would be up to the individual to decide and neither is truly wrong or right.
Wait, how does "aimed at die-hard fans" somehow mean "respects the source material more"? I mean, we're (mostly) talking about kids' shows here, not otaku market stuff. I'm pretty Toei or whoever intend these shows to be easy for children to follow.

I have plenty knowledge, I just think it sounds ridiculous when a character is obviously saying "mansion" and people change it to apartment. Yes thats what it means but this is where translators notes come into play. Mansion is the word Japanese people use for apartment. All one would have to do is give a lil context and BOOM! the viewer will never have to think about what it means when they see the word mansion in their subtitles again. its really not that big of a deal.
Why does a "mangled" loanword need a TL note than "native" Japanese terms? They could have just left the word as "apartment", and still convey that "mansion" means "apartment". Why would viewers even need to be assured that the character was saying "mansion"? They can already hear it. If you hear "mansion" and see "apartment" in the translation, it means the translator is trying to convey "mansion = apartment". Would a Japanese viewer of an English-language show need to be told that "tycoon" in English is not a title for the Shogun? Can't Japanese subs of an English show just translate "tycoon" as whatever Japanese word means "business magnate" or "millionaire" without a note saying tycoon=/=taikun?

it always makes me sad when people hate on HaTiGra

because, like... the form names are just acronyms, basically, for the animals they comprise? and if one's translating the animal names, why not translate the acronyms too

i mean if saying "Whaeoct" doesn't make you happy inside in just the same way "Shauta" does then you have no soul
I think that might be due to "officialness". Like, merchandise and stuff still say "TATOBA" or whatever, even when it's not in Japanese. Maybe.

Banned
if you want to make a 'documentary', you're supposed to be neutral and provide facts, not opinions. The simple fact that it's an opinion piece masquerading as a documentary is what truly gets me going.

Is this a joke? Are you seriously saying that is what a documentary is? Do you really need to be told why you are wrong here? Do you really need to be given a long long list of documentaries that prove you wrong?

Alice or Guilty
Is this a joke? Are you seriously saying that is what a documentary is? Do you really need to be told why you are wrong here? Do you really need to be given a long long list of documentaries that prove you wrong?

Personally I expect my documentaries to be based on either verifiable fact or, at worst, a working theory that has concensus. Opinion and speculation has little place in something designed to educate and inform, so I'm gonna join in saying I wouldn't consider Otaking's piece to be a documentary (even though I agree with it, mostly.)

Banned
Personally I expect my documentaries to be based on either verifiable fact or, at worst, a working theory that has concensus. Opinion and speculation has little place in something designed to educate and inform, so I'm gonna join in saying I wouldn't consider Otaking's piece to be a documentary (even though I agree with it, mostly.)

Then you wouldn't consider hundreds and hundreds of documentaries from the last 20 years as documentaries. I mean I know what you are saying, but look at all the stuff from Michael Moore.

Henshin a Go-Go!!
Then you wouldn't consider hundreds and hundreds of documentaries from the last 20 years as documentaries. I mean I know what you are saying, but look at all the stuff from Michael Moore.

Exactly. Its all biased garbage, Moore's all about skewing stuff his way. He doesn't give two shits about the opposite side to an argument, he just wants people to see things his way and only his way.

But back to the discussion at hand, I agree with Actar on this. Docs should be educational, informative, and hopefully at least somewhat entertaining. Making some super biased piece disguised as a documentary kinda defeats the purpose of the genre.

Banned
Exactly. Its all biased garbage, Moore's all about skewing stuff his way. He doesn't give two shits about the opposite side to an argument, he just wants people to see things his way and only his way.

But back to the discussion at hand, I agree with Actar on this. Docs should be educational, informative, and hopefully at least somewhat entertaining. Making some super biased piece disguised as a documentary kinda defeats the purpose of the genre.

Doesn't matter to me either way. The dude in the documentary nailed it all on the head.

Lurker
Okay I admit I came into this without knowing the first thing about Translation. I don't speak a lick of Japanese. However I'm still going to stick to my guns and say that OverTime subs is my least favorite fan sub group. Now sense I don't know anything about translation I can't really explain what it is about them I don't like other then I hate that they call the Zyudenryu Voltasaurs. It just to silly and I admit Kyoryuuger is my favorite Super Sentai because it light hearted and silly. I also take back the 4Kids comment since that really makes no sense in the long run. Because we all know if 4Kids was handling the subs they'd remove all the Kanji and change the Gaburevolver's into weird hammer devices.

Banned
Okay I admit I came into this without knowing the first thing about Translation. I don't speak a lick of Japanese. However I'm still going to stick to my guns and say that OverTime subs is my least favorite fan sub group. Now sense I don't know anything about translation I can't really explain what it is about them I don't like other then I hate that they call the Zyudenryu Voltasaurs. It just to silly and I admit Kyoryuuger is my favorite Super Sentai because it light hearted and silly. I also take back the 4Kids comment since that really makes no sense in the long run. Because we all know if 4Kids was handling the subs they'd remove all the Kanji and change the Gaburevolver's into weird hammer devices.

You say their translated name of the show is silly, then you go on to say you like the show because it is silly. :sly::redface2: