Shining~
This reminds of when 4chan threw a fit that O-T translated when Wizard's AxeCaliber yell's "HIGH TOUCH!" as "HIGH FIVE!", when High Touch is just what they call a high five.

I remember that :sweat:
I wonder, are they going to fix it into "HIGH TOUCH" or keep it "HIGH FIVE"?
I didn't really noticed it when Haruto used the AxCalibur on last episode....

Personally, I don't like having the "touch" being translated as "five", since

1. It may be a Japanese term, but it's still also an English word. I just don't see the need to "translate" an already English word.
2. There's a "touch" theme going on with Haruto's devices. "Touch to henshin", "Touch to go"....keeping it "High Touch" just sounds more appropriate to me.
3. The AxCalibur clearly says "touch" in English.

Doesn't stop me from watching OT's sub, though. It's just one word, nothing big.

Last edited:
I really don't see how you can dislike a group that consistently puts out the super hero times shows within 3 days (often quicker) of their actual air-dates in Japan...

Lurker
You say their translated name of the show is silly, then you go on to say you like the show because it is silly. :sly::redface2:

Yeah I'm weird like that. However this is two different things. I like Kyoryuuger because its so light hearted and silly. That doesn't mean I have to like the silly translation for Zyuden.

Banned
Yeah I'm weird like that. However this is two different things. I like Kyoryuuger because its so light hearted and silly. That doesn't mean I have to like the silly translation for Zyuden.

Then you tell us your unsilly translation for it?

Honestly, the name thing does kind of bug me too. Back in high school, I was taught that it was translation 101 not to mess with proper nouns. It doesn't matter if it might have a meaning in the language you're tranlating to, you never translate names. Not for people, not for places and not for giant robots.

Alice or Guilty
Honestly, the name thing does kind of bug me too. Back in high school, I was taught that it was translation 101 not to mess with proper nouns. It doesn't matter if it might have a meaning in the language you're tranlating to, you never translate names. Not for people, not for places and not for giant robots.

In fairness, the kind of works you'd be dealing with in a high school setting are works of cultural and literary merit - and in those kinds of stories, a) any proper nouns are much more focused on serving the narrative than proper nouns in a 25-minute toy commercial, and b) due to the literary merit of the work, would inevitably be discussed in an academic setting (which is why they'd be in translation 101!) and therefore having a standardized way to refer to everything is more important.

Subbing tokusatsu frees you from those constraints - the bike is called goesfast in Japanese because it goes fast, and they want you to associate the name with such, and then buy the toy so you can have fun making it go fast, so you might as well ensure that the name evokes those things.

But when you're dealing with Hayatemaru, ancient ninja of a broken clan on a quest of betrayal to avenge his fallen clan, in an epic tale from ancient Japan written by Japanese William Shakespeare, the fact his name means 'goes fast' is much less of a concern.

I don't do sense
Another point that I would like to make is that despite the difference in languages, words still have meaning. There is a reason as to why a character chooses to use 恥かしい as opposed to 面目ない, 馬鹿 as opposed to 間抜け, 助平 as opposed to 変態. Yes, you can translate the ‘intention’ of the characters, for instance, “うるさい†as “Stop that!â€. However, one can also say “Stop that!†in Japanese as well ((それを)止めて, 止めなさい, 止めろ, etc…) and make perfect sense in that context. Yet, the character didn’t. A simplistic example, I know. But I believe that there is at least some significance in the words that characters use.

Again, I’m not saying that subtitles should be 100% literal to the point of disrupting the flow, readability and understandability. Sometimes liberties are necessary to avoid awkward phrasing, but I would propose that some effort must be made to at least bring across what was said in the Japanese script.

...and before you say anything, even I know that some of the more generic Japanese terms like はい (yes, sure, me too, etc…), よろしくお願いします (I’ll be in your care, thank you, I’ll leave it up to you, etc…) and 仕様/仕方がない (it can’t be helped, if you insist, fine, if you say so, etc…) translate to different things in English in different situations.
No.
You can't hide behind "this is just my opinion".
Sometimes you're just wrong.

In this writeup you're being utterly oblivious that text may possess meaning beyond semantic values of each word in it. On top of syntax, there's style and then there's the use. And they all carry meaning. The less particular and more colloquial a phrase is, the more this rings true.

tl;dr
My problem with O-T is they translate things.

Henshin a Go-Go!!
Then you tell us your unsilly translation for it?

Dude, back the **** off of him. You always say people are entitled to their own opinions, when its your opinion, but the minute somebody says something you don't agree with, you attack them. And while people like me are articulate enough to defend themselves, its pretty obvious that demigomoramon isn't and you're just being a bully.

Subbing tokusatsu frees you from those constraints - the bike is called goesfast in Japanese because it goes fast, and they want you to associate the name with such, and then buy the toy so you can have fun making it go fast, so you might as well ensure that the name evokes those things.

Whether its a ninja clan or a motorcycle, if its the name of something and its not katakana don't mess with it

Last edited: