Least Favorite Kamen Rider(s) (Personality Wise)

I guess I come at this slightly differently to a lot of the others replying. So long as someone is interesting to me as a character, I won't judge them in the same way I would if they were real. Obviously I'd loathe Kusaka if we actually met in real life but I find him very entertaining to watch and appreciate how he moved the plot along.

A worse crime, as far as I'm concerned, is being a boring character. For instance, I don't dislike Eiji, but I really don't care about him or anything that happens to him. He's agreeable and pleasant, but that's it. I'm not interested in watching him.

The same goes for characters like Agito's Hikawa or Kabuto's Kagami. It's not that I think they'd be unlikeable people, it's just that I think they're so boring. I tend to become quite resentful towards a character if whenever I watch one of their scenes I have to struggle to stay awake.
 
My problem with Kagami is that he tries so hard at accomplishing nothing except basically being a super sidekick. It's in stark contrast to the rest of the cast who exert no effort at all at being whoever they are, whether hero or laughing stock. Not a big deal, though. I like that he basically stuck to his sense of justice.

Still, my least favourite would be Tsukasa because for me it felt that any character development he gets in one arc gets thrown out the next. Not because the writers forgot, but because it just seems natural to his character.

Of course, this is based on my limited KR experience (Kabuto, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO).
 
edit- nevermind.

I can't find how Hikawa was boring either. He's the most interesting tech-based Rider I'd ever watched. I'll definitely rank him as my top tech rider if anything. But Eiji, that I can agree with. He can just dies off and I can't be bothered to care.
 
Normally I'd just go with the crowd and say Kusaka, since damn was he an ass, but at the end of the day he served a purpose, and in retrospect I think it might have been that his motives were very dull. He had some clever plans and to his credit every time he threw a wrench into the works he got the effect he wanted for the most part. I think what turned me off was the whole stalker-boyfriend business. Like he'd be perfectly content to stand outside Mari's house and scream at her and call her names as an expression of how much he cares.

Den-O wasn't bad, but I think I have more of an issue of over-exploitation than anything else. We just...really didn't need the extra movies. Furthermore I think in the series itself, really things could have been better if there had been a bit more attention paid to the plot. I'll agree that Den-O overwhelming the other characters and overshadowing them is obvious and annoying, but I think that wasn't a character design flaw. That was a series flaw. There was no villain for most of the series. You had nothing to really compare Den-O to. The films with Gaoh or the two orges...demons...Oni...whatever...were good I think since you had characters who took some of the limelight off of Den-O. In a sense I think he was wearing because there was really noone else who was on his level. Until Zeronos came along everyone was very much background fodder. None of them held that same energy or presence.

At the end of the day....I'm thinking there's very little to no character who is unlikable. Even Kusaka has his fans. I think what makes characters unlikable is not how they are, but how the writers handle them. If you think about it, so far all the characters mentioned have been in serieses where the story was handled...rather poorly. They might have been sub-par designs to begin with, but the story's non-existence or mismanagement didn't do them any favors.
 
Weird, the most human and heroic guys are the ones you find boring.

The problem with Hikawa and Kagami is they're meant to be everymen. They're average and ordinary because you're supposed to identify with them. And an everyman becomes boring if you don't find them identifiable. I can't really identify with Hikawa because he just seems so stiff and bland and I never feel like I really get inside his head. I can't identify with Kagami because I find him mildly pathetic, and not in an amusing or charming way (I mean, Shotaro is pathetic too but he's acted well enough that it's an endearing trait rather than just sort of annoying the way it is with Kagami).

And Eiji really is just bland. In a way he has to be, because his supporting cast is very over-the-top and bizarre, and someone has to be the straight guy. He's boring for a reason, but it doesn't make him less boring.
 
Otoya from Kiva annoyed the **** out of me. I think it was the womanizing. If he just did the "once in a thousand years genius" bit he would have been tolerable (if a bit too similar to Tendou, who I loved by the way) but the womanizing just annoyed me.
 
Not to mention Kusaka just becomes progressively more scary/creepy as the story progressed. (His slasher smile is just plain creepy... *shudder*)
 
I like my heroes to be heroes and my villains to be villains and never the twain shall meet. I like Kiriya and Kusaka because it was clear that the viewer wasn't supposed to approve of their actions, and they were not treated as sympathetic characters - unlike (say) Nago who was a total **** throughout his entire show and yet the audience was expected to love him and see his actions in a positive light. I can get over a swaggering or jerky hero if he's redeemable and actually likeable; the best example I can think of is Captain Marvelous (though he's not a Rider) and I get the feeling Fourze will fall into this category for me.

I also don't think that being kind and sweet is "blaaaaand!" or boring. I'd take a thousand Eijis over a Tendou, Tsukasa or Otoya.
 
Last edited:
It's the way you phrased, "least favorite". Kusaka is one of the biggest a$$holes in the KR franchise, but he's one of my favorite character because of his personality.

I tend to compare Tsukasa with Tendou as well, except that I side with Tsukasa because, simply because he's not needlessly arrogant.

Wait what? Tsukasa is needlessly arrogant, he's cocky without giving real reason for it, especially since he has amnesia and only became decade at the start of the series (At least mentally speaking.) Tendou is cocky because he's been raised to be cocky, his whole life has basically been him being the greatest **** since sliced bread and he has all the ability to back up the claims. There's also the fact that despite Tendou's overly cocky attitude, he gets called out on it all the time, from everybody not his sister.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top