God Gundam is entirely depicted the way gods are depicted in Buddhist iconography. Pay particular note to the way the fins on its back create the golden halo that Buddhist artwork uses to denote a divine character.

God Gundam is also born from a giant red lotus, for ****'s sake, and grows stronger by meditating. It's a Buddhist deity incarnate as a robot, part of the long tradition (going back to Mazinger Z) of robots being treated as incarnate gods.

...Then why not name it Buddha Gundam instead? Or would that be just as offensive?

Nice post!!
It wasn't supposed to be a buddha, it was an incarnate god. A buddha is not the same thing as a god.

What is love? Baby don't hurt me
they colored it GOOOOOOLD.

1292421717039.jpg

HEROW
God Gundam is entirely depicted the way gods are depicted in Buddhist iconography. Pay particular note to the way the fins on its back create the golden halo that Buddhist artwork uses to denote a divine character.

God Gundam is also born from a giant red lotus, for ****'s sake, and grows stronger by meditating. It's a Buddhist deity incarnate as a robot, part of the long tradition (going back to Mazinger Z) of robots being treated as incarnate gods.

Changing God Gundam's name to Burning Gundam perverts every story-significant scene the robot appears in and makes the entire second half of the show less interesting. That arc is about Domon achieving calm and triumphing over his anger, achieving the divine quality of zen. So hey, let's dub his robot's name with a word that connotes anger.

The 'Burning Gundam' name change was an obvious necessity for US TV airing but the name change demands no respect whatsoever as a creative decision. It actively damages the meaning and creative intent of the series on a deeply fundamental level.

THIS... I've never bothered understanding why it was called 'God Gundam' way back since I saw G Gundam when I was a kid... You just enlightened me ma'am...

Yeah, 'Burning Gundam' is still a shitty name.

If you are going to have a gold Gundam, then the ENTIRE thing should be gold, just like some of the model kits I've seen. That statue just looks gay.

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
I guess China has self-esteem issues.

You would have them too if you were home to the last Communist dicatorship in the world

Plus the whole Kim-Jong being lonely thing from Team America:World Police comes to mind

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!

Changing God Gundam's name to Burning Gundam perverts every story-significant scene the robot appears in and makes the entire second half of the show less interesting. That arc is about Domon achieving calm and triumphing over his anger, achieving the divine quality of zen. So hey, let's dub his robot's name with a word that connotes anger.

The 'Burning Gundam' name change was an obvious necessity for US TV airing but the name change demands no respect whatsoever as a creative decision. It actively damages the meaning and creative intent of the series on a deeply fundamental level.

I still say 'Burning Gundam' is a cool name in a vacuum, at least when not in an English setting...

But that's a very interesting detail I did not know. But yeah they could have went with anything less blasphemous but still relevant like Divine Gundam or Holy Gundam? Or Zen Gundam? Or Deva Gundam or use some foreign word that means 'God' but isn't the word 'God'... Deus Gundam? ^^;