FANTASY COMEDY STUFF:
I would be a bad fan if I did not recommend the first three Slayers TV series (Original, Next and Try). There's also a somewhat obscure but cute little two OVA series called Ruin Explorers that's worth a look
MECHA STUFF:
If you liked First Gundam and Zeta Gundam, you might like VOTOMS, which was inspired by First Gundam and then had a lot of its own original ideas out and out stolen by Zeta Gundam.
Oh and speaking of things Zeta Gundam stole from, you can also get the original Macross series.
There's also Macross 7, which has some of its elements borrowed for the King of Braves GaoGaiGar, which I would also recommend.
I would also be a bad fan if I did not mention the original Gunbuster, Dragonar (that one's only complete through HK subs though) and Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Finally, for this section: while I'm not a personal fan of either work, their impact on the genre as a whole makes G Gundam and Giant Robo worth a look.
FIGHTING ANIME:
Hulu has all of Fist of the North Star up, if you're in the mood for one of the two "founding fathers" of fighting anime (the other being Saint Seiya, which has never gotten a full US release officially or unofficially).
You might also want to track down JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, though be warned that, in the US release listings, the first three DVDs are actually the more modern prequel anime that were released years after the last three DVDs, which is the original series.