Anime from the 80's and 90's (Recommendations)

In theory, one COULD make NGE into a half decent anime with a fair bit of effort...

But Battle Angel was good. So was the original Macross, save for some wonky bits and annoying things here and there. Don't remember the original Ghost in the Shell enough to comment though.
 
How about...

Macross (the first one, which I'm about to watch as well, but if you've seen the first season of Robotech, watch this)
Cowboy Bebop
Vandread (ok, so it's 2000/2001, but if you haven't seen it, I recommend it. It's not what you would think if you just look at the cover. It's not a harem.)
Ah! My Goddess OVA
Weiß Kreuz (4 assassins working in a flower shop)

You can check out this site: http://bestanime.com/newAniData/list.php?viewType=year
 
...I think I should've brought up the series I watched and hated, too.

Yeah, if you just say "recommend me stuff" you may get some shows you don't like mixed in. This is why I recommended some stuff I wasn't personally super hot on, as I cannot fully account for someone elses tastes.

Oh and speaking of which, I forgot a show I know that, while I'm not a fan of it, it's from the right time period and it has some good word of mouth from those that do like it: Escaflowne.

And here's another I forgot and would fit somewhere between the Mecha and Fantasy Comedy lines, Ryu Knight.

In theory, one COULD make NGE into a half decent anime with a fair bit of effort...

And in reality, it actually is good. :P
 
Last edited:
I've recently been watching Slayers. I've not completed it but I think it's pretty cool so far. Also I'd like to reccomend CatGirl Nuku Nuku.
 
Space Runaway Ideon. It's what EVA stole several plot elements from. If you liked Gundam and Zeta Gundam you'd probably like it, as it's made by the same fellow (Tomino).

I'd also recommend Getter Robo Armageddon if you want to see a cool super robot show. You might want to familiarize yourself with the Getter series somewhat before you watch it, as it assumes you're already familiar with Getter Robo.
 
Yeah, if you just say "recommend me stuff" you may get some shows you don't like mixed in. This is why I recommended some stuff I wasn't personally super hot on, as I cannot fully account for someone elses tastes.

Oh and speaking of which, I forgot a show I know that, while I'm not a fan of it, it's from the right time period and it has some good word of mouth from those that do like it: Escaflowne.

And here's another I forgot and would fit somewhere between the Mecha and Fantasy Comedy lines, Ryu Knight.

Yeah, plus I keep getting series I've either seen (Big O/Outlaw Star), or made plans to watch (Macross), too.

Like Ryu Knight, which is also on my list. Watched its opening episode a month or so ago. Hilarious stuff.


And in reality, it actually is good. :P

You'll have to excuse Traveler. He, much like I, doesn't care for pretentious BS. :D
 
In theory, one COULD make NGE into a half decent anime with a fair bit of effort...

But Battle Angel was good. So was the original Macross, save for some wonky bits and annoying things here and there. Don't remember the original Ghost in the Shell enough to comment though.

It's the philosophy and psychology of the characters and world they live in that I find so intriguing. Some people don't like to think about what their watching, if you don't, you won't understand evangelion
 
You'll have to excuse Traveler. He, much like I, doesn't care for pretentious BS. :D

Fair enough, I suppose. Though, honestly, over the years, I've learned EVA is hardly as pretentious as people claim it is. It just seems like it is when you come at it from the point of view of a total outsider.
 
It's the philosophy and psychology of the characters and world they live in that I find so intriguing. Some people don't like to think about what their watching, if you don't, you won't understand evangelion

...Eh...its not that he didn't understand. Its that he didn't care for what the series was trying to say. GitS: SAC is better, for making you think.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top