8.9 Earthquake hits Japan, creates massive tsunami

Minato Ascending

Very proud of the LA County Fire Dept. :thumbs:

I've read that they had about 15 minutes of warning time. It isn't enough to do too much, but at least enough to start gathering up family and friends.

Yeah, 15 minutes aren't much time to evacuate, and I wonder what those experts felt when they realized that a major earthquake is about to hit and only minutes to spare? That must've been terrifying.

Btw, Suzuka Morita (Kotoha of Shinkenger) is fine, and she updated her blog.

Morita Suzuka's Blog

私の占いは当たる
I've just checked Hamao-kun, Rika-chan and Mikki's blogs, they're all fine as well. I'm still waiting for Chiba-chan to update.

IIRC Ryon mentioned him on his entry.

I'm watching CNN and they are reporting there is another earthquake near Nagano.

One big problem is... the nuclear reactor.... :-/

Most nuclear reactors nowadays are designed to fail safe.

Sweet Sweets
Ah man...this is just a horrible disaster...the only thing I can do is pray for the safety of those that are going through this...>_<

Minato Ascending
Scientists said the quake ranked as the fifth-largest earthquake in the world since 1900 and was nearly 8,000 times stronger than one that devastated Christchurch, New Zealand, last month.

"The energy radiated by this quake is nearly equal to one month's worth of energy consumption" in the United States, U.S. Geological Survey Scientist Brian Atwater told The Associated Press.

Article

:O_O: :O_O: :O_O:

先生
I got in touch with one of my Japanese instructors who was literally supposed to leave for Tokyo today and she had not left yet so that is good! :thumbs:

As far as nuclear reactors go. Almost every single one in any developed country has fail safes and can be shut down quickly (as is the case for Japan)

The good news is that Japan is used to Earthquakes and is probably one of the best prepared countries in the world for dealing with this sort of thing...

One of the Lord's Angels
Hikaru Yamamoto (Akiko from Kamen Rider W) posted on her blog that she is okay: http://ameblo.jp/hikaru-y/

So is Tomomi Itano (from AKB48) through her twitter account as well as her teammate; Tomomi Kasai, also through her twitter account.

Takashi Nadagi (Junno-san) is also okay but may need some help: http://nadagi.laff.jp/

Yuki Kimisawa is okay too: http://ameblo.jp/yuki-kimisawa/

Shogo Suzuki and Shinwa Kataoka (Chiaki Tani & Ren Kosaka, respectively) are okay as well.
Manpei Takagi (Retsu Fukami/Geki Blue) is okay with the place being slightly damaged.
Kazue Itou (from Gekiranger) also okay

That's all for now! I need to rest right now! Goodbye and please pray

Last edited:
It's over 8,000!
As far as nuclear reactors go. Almost every single one in any developed country has fail safes and can be shut down quickly (as is the case for Japan)

The good news is that Japan is used to Earthquakes and is probably one of the best prepared countries in the world for dealing with this sort of thing...

The nuclear power stations automatically close with earthquake detection. For tsunamis, it might be manual, but there is enough reaction time.

Their architectural designs are very good and they are for the most part some of the most modern, so their losses were reduced. Had this been another country, it would have been much more devastating. For example, Haiti was devastated by a smaller quake because of the conditions of their buildings among other factors.