Would like to change his avatar
Just curious, do you think there are any writers/producers at Toei now that have the reputation or clout to push through a bold new idea? Or would anyone who wants to try essentially have to be taking a do or die chance?

I don't really know. I'm sure there are writers out there with ideas and producers with visions, but the more people are willing to just dismiss these shows as "Dur-her! Kids show toy commercials," the more Toei will treat it as such and keep putting out disappointing junk.

Damn. This is pretty harsh criticism. Or maybe I just dislike Go-Busters so much that I think it is. It literally HURT to watch some episodes of Go-Busters because the characters were so freaking boring.

Well, I didn't really mean Wizard was the same as Go-busters in terms of slow-paced awful mind-numbing boringness, just that it's such a plain, empty show, I can't imagine people plunking down hundreds of dollars for DVDs or BDs when there's nothing all that rewatchable about it.

No, no -- if Wizard was the same experience as Go-busters, I would have stopped watching it after episode five. Go-busters was painful, and I don't think I could put up with another show on that level right after it.

No Fear, No Pain.
I don't really know. I'm sure there are writers out there with ideas and producers with visions, but the more people are willing to just dismiss these shows as "Dur-her! Kids show toy commercials," the more Toei will treat it as such and keep putting out disappointing junk.

Well, I didn't really mean Wizard was the same as Go-busters in terms of slow-paced awful mind-numbing boringness, just that it's such a plain, empty show, I can't imagine people plunking down hundreds of dollars for DVDs or BDs when there's nothing all that rewatchable about it.

No, no -- if Wizard was the same experience as Go-busters, I would have stopped watching it after episode five. Go-busters was painful, and I don't think I could put up with another show on that level right after it.

Go-Buster just took more time to get its story done, which I like. I just finished it recently and, well, I loved it from start to finish. Not to say it didn't drag there for a second, but after Jin and J showed up things got to a nice pace. I understand now what people meant about those two helping things along in the series. That said I still loved the main cast, and I feel like Go-Buster is a great sentai. That said I also love Kyoryuger, though I feel the ripples of Go-Buster's slower pace in Kyoryuger's super high energy take on things. (They are getting their sixth by episode ten...TEN.) That isn't what this thread is about though...right.

Wizard has been pretty great so far, though I feel the villians are majorly lacking when compaired to W, OOO, and Fourze. Other than that I figure the next twenty episodes will be so packed with story that it will be a series to remember. W's last twenty were alot like that, as was Kiva's, and Den-O's.

Treasure Cards of the Underworld
I like Wizard lots and have been enjoying it. The overarching plot is kind of slow-moving, but, so what? The individual arcs make up for that and I am just dying to see answers to many questions brought up so far (many of which, in my head, currently circle around the white wizard). o3o

I wouldn't plunk down hundreds for any Tokusatsu series, but that's mainly because of the differences in pricing. Here if a series costs more than $50 for a season that's game.

Mad Skillz
After you decided you hated Gokaiger, you started praising aspects of Shinkenger, which you had previously disliked. Give it till his next Rider series, maybe Wizard will start looking better to you

I think that liking certain aspects of a show and the show as a whole are two different things. Though I will say that even when its story hit a brick wall for about 20 episodes, Shinkenger never bored me as much as Wizard does. What I enjoyed from Shinkenger was its tone and its ambitious start. Wizard had some of that ambition at the start of the series, but these days it feels like a show that's very content to let things play out without any major surprises or emotion - Gokaiger and Shinkenger were shows that I was at least able to care about for a while.

And what really sucks about this is that Toei seems to be at a better place now than they were in the first half of the last decade. They're more willing to allow characters to live beyond their series and just willing to do stuff like bringing out old Ishinomori characters out of retirement. This stuff could be amazing with genuine talent attached. Like, the modern day Toei is one that would probably be cool with doing a Kuuga movie (or hell, Hibiki v-cinemas) and instead we get Superhero Taisen, which at best is a mishmash of a decent story fighting for screen time against this whole other thing that makes little sense, leaving it unable to fulfill its potential. (I genuinely love the idea that SHT is a movie where supporting characters get to be the stars, but everything else is so bad)

Last edited:
I liked him when he wasn't a god
I think that liking certain aspects of a show and the show as a whole are two different things. Though I will say that even when its story hit a brick wall for about 20 episodes, Shinkenger never bored me as much as Wizard does. What I enjoyed from Shinkenger was its tone and its ambitious start. Wizard had some of that ambition at the start of the series, but these days it feels like a show that's very content to let things play out without any major surprises or emotion - Gokaiger and Shinkenger were shows that I was at least able to care about for a while.

Yes, I think one of the problems that people are having with Wizard at the moment is that the fandom expected more from it. I remember there was a lot of excitement over it when the show first started and it seemed like people were expecting it would be more different from the W/OOO/Fourze mould.

It is really weird for me to find almost nothing to latch on to in a show. I just can't explain it. Although I complain about stuff a lot (understatement) it's rare for me to actively dislike a series and even rarer for me to just find nothing to latch on to

What I would give for a modern-day Kuuga movie with Godai's original actor in the role....

Stop making me want things Kurenai.

Yes, I think one of the problems that people are having with Wizard at the moment is that the fandom expected more from it. I remember there was a lot of excitement over it when the show first started and it seemed like people were expecting it would be more different from the W/OOO/Fourze mould.

It is really weird for me to find almost nothing to latch on to in a show. I just can't explain it. Although I complain about stuff a lot (understatement) it's rare for me to actively dislike a series and even rarer for me to just find nothing to latch on to

Yeah, there was an awful lot of preemptive fanboyism during Wizard's start.

When the (obnoxious) driver first came on, I had already resigned myself to the fact that it's not gonna be much better than the previous shows, until I lost interest right after the Flame Dragon arc. Only some of the latest episodes didn't make me it feel like a chore watching them.

To be fair, though, there still are a decade or so of episodes left.

Last edited:
This is my stage now!!
Well, time to give my own opinion, then.

I freaking LOVE Wizard. I can't stop myself from watching the raws just to get a glimpse of the new episode. I want to know everything about it, so I scour the 'net for rumors about White Wizard. I haven't enjoyed a Rider series this much since Kuuga (And if you look at me, you'll know I REALLY liked Kuuga.) I bought a belt, which is the first time I've ever done so, besides OOO, and I must say, I'm rather pleased. I've been watching kamen rider since frshman year of high school, when decade came out. As far as the series I had to wait weekly for, this tops them all. A 9.5/10 series. Haruto's great, Koyomi's freaking adorable, and Nitou's hilarious. Shunpei annoys me, but he's taken a backseat lately, so there's nothing to coplain about. And the infinity reveal...brilliant. That's how you unveil a final form. As someone who thoroughly enjoyed OOO and greatly disliked Fourze,Wizard is the best of the 10's rider series.

Whew! Haven't fanboyed like that in a while.