Will marvel studios own xmen film rights in future?

I've learned to take what actors say about doing these roles with a little grain of salt. In one interview, Robert Downey Jr. made it sound like he was done doing Iron Man, save for the Avengers movies. But then, in a more recent interview, he said he'd love to return for a 4th, 5th, or however many movies Marvel wants to make as long as they'll make money and he gets paid for it.

Last comments I heard from Downey about returning was he'd do Iron Man 4 if Mel Gibson directed. Specifically Mel Gibson. If he's said anything else after that that's news to me, but I wouldn't be surprised.

In fact, you kind of proved my point by your own example. Jackman said he doesn't want to do Wolverine forever, and yet he'd love to be in a crossover with the Avengers. Can't be in a crossover if you've dropped out for good.

That was actually my point as well. Perhaps I should have emphasized it more. But yes, he has said before he's almost 50 and he can't do this forever (its me guessing he'll finish out his run with X:A and W3), but on the other hand he's said repeatedly he'd love for Wolverine to be in an Avengers movie, that was just the most recent example I could pull up on a moment's notice. So he's done/too old for Wolverine...unless somehow a crossover happens and he'd love to be in said crossover. Sometimes, as with the Downey example, it'll take the right circumstance (if not the right amount of $$$) to change their mind.
 
Last comments I heard from Downey about returning was he'd do Iron Man 4 if Mel Gibson directed. Specifically Mel Gibson. If he's said anything else after that that's news to me, but I wouldn't be surprised.
That's probably a joke :laugh: But then again it could happen when he do one more iron man film before he hangs up his armor for good and pass his role to a younger actor



That was actually my point as well. Perhaps I should have emphasized it more. But yes, he has said before he's almost 50 and he can't do this forever (its me guessing he'll finish out his run with X:A and W3), but on the other hand he's said repeatedly he'd love for Wolverine to be in an Avengers movie, that was just the most recent example I could pull up on a moment's notice. So he's done/too old for Wolverine...unless somehow a crossover happens and he'd love to be in said crossover. Sometimes, as with the Downey example, it'll take the right circumstance (if not the right amount of $$$) to change their mind.

Yeah its too bad Hugh jackman won't reprise his role as wolverine in the marvel cinematic universe in the future but a new younger actor will fill on his shoes.
 
If Fox can't come up with anymore ideas for the next X-Men movies after Wolverine 3 and X-Men: Apocalypse, then I guess that's entirely up to them if they want to give up the rights back to Marvel.
 
If Fox can't come up with anymore ideas for the next X-Men movies after Wolverine 3 and X-Men: Apocalypse, then I guess that's entirely up to them if they want to give up the rights back to Marvel.

They will come up with ideas, X-Men is currently Fox's biggest franchise so they simply cannot afford to lose it. Anyways, they have both an X-Force movie and a New Mutants movie in the works, plus the potential for Deadpool sequels and other stand-alone mutant stories like Gambit if those do well, so I'm sure they'll keep it going as long as they possibly can.
 
^ and you can bet that if Jackman follows through with his claim that he will retire from the part after Wolverine III that Fox will immediately begin searching for someone new to play the character and lock them in a "golden handcuffs" contract that will tie them into doing a crazy number of films. Because it doesn't matter if the films are good or not, so long as the flow of sweet sweet merchandise cash keeps coming in.
 
I'm not a Fox fan (I think their creative decisions on changes from the source material make them deviate too far from the source.), but I really hope that they can make B-List/C-List characters like Gambit and Deadpool shine.

I don't want to have them keep repeating Wolverine movies disguised as X-Men movies just to cash in on the franchise.

And I really don't want their rights going back to Marvel as much as I love Marvel. The MCU is already oversaturated.
 
All this has probably been said already in the thread but, Marvel are only ever going to see it back if Fox start struggling financially or the X-Men films start bombing (and even if they start bombing Fox might keep a hold just to cock-block Marvel anyway like they've done with F4). The Spider-Man deal only happened because Sony aren't doing as well as they'd hope, and Amazing Spider-Man was having diminishing returns and Sony didn't really have any solid ideas about how to change that.
Plus Marvel are busy completely overhauling the Inhumans to be mutant stand ins instead of Inhumans anyway.

I'm not a Fox fan (I think their creative decisions on changes from the source material make them deviate too far from the source.)
Yeah, who do they think they are, Marvel?
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top