Who else thinks the majority of Super Sentai is crap?!

Uh, no they don't. Ultraman Leo had a women as one of the heroes to transform into Ultraman, Ultraseven X was totally unique, Ultraman Gaia featured a different kind of Ultraman form, Ultra Galaxy is something totally different than anything before. And Ultraman Tiga totally broke new ground. Your opinion is your opinon, but in my eyes that statement is flawed.

..Yeah this is sounding more like just Sentai hate with flawed reasoning. . Ultraman's always about a giant hero fighting giant monsters, KR's about rider kicks and exploding animal-based monsters. Despite your claim I still manage to find different aspects within different SS seasons and other toku seasons. Not as formulaic as you think.

Also, both Sentai and KR still bring new things each season. Shinkenger's with a female Red and samurai theme, Decade with a rider copying other Rider's suits and powers. However, for either series, being different doesn't mean it's a good season or better than the other series.

More specifics on your SS hate/ KR love, please.
 
Uh, no they don't. Ultraman Leo had a women as one of the heroes to transform into Ultraman, Ultraseven X was totally unique, Ultraman Gaia featured a different kind of Ultraman form, Ultra Galaxy is something totally different than anything before. And Ultraman Tiga totally broke new ground. Your opinion is your opinon, but in my eyes that statement is flawed.
And in all of those shows, the format is always that a monster defense team / science team teams up with an Ultraman to battle giant monsters each week, even the two Ultra Galaxy shows eventually do this, though they make it a heck of a lot more interesting by tossing in the Reionic story in there. How exactly did Tiga break ground? I couldn't have been form changing, sure, it's a good series, but I don't see what about it is ground breaking.

I agree that toku certainly repeats itself and it's format, but SS is THE WORST when it comes to overused formulas! Anybody who thinks otherwise is lying to themselves. They reuse their elements more than anyone. Ryoutarou, can you honestly say that SS isn't worse than Ultraman or Kamen Rider in that aspect? It's cookie cutter nature.
I really don't see that, as far as themes go, Super Sentai has a lot more variety, which could be because of how many there actually are, but I haven't seen too many Ultraman shows that wander too far from the original formula.
 
I agree, actually SS has more appeal to me than Ultraman, The only thing that attracts me to ultraman is the battles. Ultraman has the same formula everytime, organization with almost the same uniform as in every series, one of them is the Ultraman, fight off the alien monsters, usually fails and Ultraman just saves tha day....I may be wrong but that is how Ultraman's impression on me
 
Uh, no they don't. Ultraman Leo had a women as one of the heroes to transform into Ultraman, Ultraseven X was totally unique, Ultraman Gaia featured a different kind of Ultraman form, Ultra Galaxy is something totally different than anything before. And Ultraman Tiga totally broke new ground. Your opinion is your opinon, but in my eyes that statement is flawed.

I agree that toku certainly repeats itself and it's format, but SS is THE WORST when it comes to overused formulas! Anybody who thinks otherwise is lying to themselves. They reuse their elements more than anyone. Ryoutarou, can you honestly say that SS isn't worse than Ultraman or Kamen Rider in that aspect? It's cookie cutter nature.



And thank the lord for that. Here in the U.S. though, that's a whole different story of popularity and you know it. SS outbeats KR and Ultraman popular almost 2 to 1. :disappoin

Can you be more specific? I'd argue that SS and KR get more love because of how much they change things up.

Ultraman is always a person that grows big into costumes that bare a strong resemblance to one another, that fights aliens.

So, if you want to like Ultraman, you have to like the above.

For SS and KR, they continually change genres so much that they are VERY different from one another. You don't have to like a dude that transforms to fight monsters exclusively to like Kamen Rider. You can like gothic vampire themes, gumshoe detectives, stupid demons and time traveling trains, or secret agents that hunt monsters.... and then you might like the Kamen Rider stuff too.

For SS, you can like police procedurals, samurai epics, ninja action, world traveling Indiana Jones like adventure, or video games and THEN you also get Super Sentai.

I personally chose which series I like based on its current theme... not on the part of liking transforming heroes that fight monsters.

For Ultraman... you gotta like crack teams that fight giant monsters with a hero that grows big. If Ultraman changed it up more like it did in Ultra Seven X... I'd be more interested.

Also, fight scenes.... Ultraman are... not the best. Another thing SS and KR have over Ultraman. You might not be in to transforming heroes and giant mechs... but you might be in to martial arts. Like myself back in the day. I loved me some martial arts, but thought the Super Sentai elements were stupid. But the martial arts were what first sold me on Power Rangers.

I have enjoyed what Ultraman I've seen... but Ultraman, you have to like Ultraman to get into it. SS and KR.... it's got a lot of different things to hook someone into a given series.
 
Oh, I hate Super Sentai, with it's same stories, crappy monster designs, toy add-ons and goofy comedy antics. Oh, and I also hate Heisei rider shows too! Pre-teen drama/metal hero knock offs! Also, I hate Ultraman shows too, being so lame and all. And I also hate metal heroes for...... wait, what's the popular complaint about metal heroes again?
 
I actually like Ultra series, but I wouldnt say it's less "formulaic" then sentai. Maybe, just maybe, it's because we havent had a yearly Ultra series for 35 years in a row. This give room for experiment, little differences in the main scheme. If every year you have to deliver a new series, it's easier to follow a fixed scheme. You can call it lazyness, though.

Who knows, if Ultraman was an yearly thing like Sentai is, probably would be the same. I think it's likely.
I also think it would be good for sentai to have less eps. Too much fillers.
 
Well as everything in this thread proves, SS fans are very stubborn. The SS support here truly outweighs Ultraman popularity. So this discussion is very lop-sided. That's why the thread is called "Who else thinks. . . SS is crap?!", not "Come here and defend SS." But I digress.

If what you guys are saying is true and SS fights to get attention that isn't shown, then I hope that continues because I feel that SS takes space in the toku community that is stale and growing quite old. SS has become a parody of itself! It truly has. But none of you will agree, so only those who aren't blindly dedicated to SS since childhood will be receptive to that :disappoin

Ultraman ACE. Also, this point becomes moot halfway through the series because Minami leaves to go live on the moon.

I meant to say Ace, sorry about that. Mistake :shakefist
 
I do think most sentai is pants, I feel like there isnt enough character development for each individual, each season is seeming the same but thats the same for any toku really but this being said the majority of my toku collection is sentai.

to each there own I suppose
 
Yes, Sentai is cookie cutter produced because every sentai, no matter what theme revolves around these elements:
1- 5-7 but usually 5, sometimes 3 as in the older generation Sentai colored heroes.
2- Some enemy, MOTW they have to defeat.
3- A year's time - since that is the actual time allocated to the airing of the show.
4- A theme. The theme can be repeated, but I have to say, sentai is successful in not rehashing the same thing. Ie. like the following:

- Ninajs: Kakuranger and Hurricanger
- Samurai: Shinkenger, Dairanger
- Eastern elements: Dairanger, Maskranger, Hurricanger again, etc.

My point is, no sentai is really the exact same because the themes may be the same, but the execution, characterization, and plot is always different.

Dekaranger was episodic. There was one main enemy - Agent Aburera, but each episode ran self-contained. Then there are looong ones that are meant to be drawn out arcs such as Maskman, Hurricanger, etc.

Truthfully, to say that each sentai is the same and dismiss it based on the fact it is designed to facilitate formation and production (the cookie-cutter concept which is just Toei picking a construct that works) and allows maneuverability based on the characterization, plot, and execution, is rather pragmatic. But any one who has given sentai a chance, will be hard pressed to say one is EXACTLY the same as another.

KR is the same cookie-cutter nature. You have some masked hero. He's some random unknown or a human with something special about him. Granted, KR are based more heavily so than sentai, off of the actual character's personality and identity which may atribute to why it seems more individual. But KR is still a superhero who goes about fighting monsters and some ultimate baddy and each KR has a theme that's been repeated as well.

In all honesty, Ultraman is the franchise that is most cookie-cutter and is loyal to that concept. I'm oversimplifying here, but this is what is boils down to: You have the Ultra - whatever s/he may be and from wherever. They are in a grey or red or blue suit. They 're supported by some fighting team - usually militaristic/govt in some form. When they run out of time and power, the light blinks. But from the Ultra series I've seen, Max, Nexus, Tiga, Cosmo, and I can't remember the other one - the one before Cosmo..DYNA, the characters and plots are all different. I can say Nexus is probably one of the most unique ones I've seen in every way. But the Dyna, Cosmo, Gaia are usually grouped and rightfully so. I dont know much about the older Ultras, but I'd imagine they're still following the same concept.

Note: Actually it might be Tiga, dyna, cosmo.I can't remember atm.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top