What's with the hate of Kamen Rider Wizard?

In response to the OP's question: I think there are more people who are just disappointed and/or bored with the show than who actually hate it. The main reason seems to be that it got a LOT of hype before it started and, by and large, people have decided it didn't live up to that. I keep seeing comments like "but it had a theme that couldn't go wrong, how did they get it so wrong?"
I suppose you're right, especially with the hype over it when it was first unveiled such as people's liking to Wizard's design, and thought that the entire cast would be promising. Look at them now... Haruto doesn't show much emotion, Koyomi most of the time stays in the antiques shop where most of her vocabulary is Haruto's name, Rinko doesn't do much police work and tags along with Haruto too often, and Shunpei is just a clown. You thought Rinko would be like Ichijou of Kuuga and Shunpei be a bit like Keitarou of 555. I response to its story, heck, even I can construct a better story for it!

- Medusa or Phoenix don't really do much. They just... do nothing, except for finfing new gates. I liked them both, but they both are wasted.
Don't forget Wiseman, who just hangs around in dark places and lying in his bed most of the time. We only saw one "fight" scene between him and Wizard Infinity Style until Wiseman ended it very quickly by stealing his mana supply. And you're right... a lot of potential has been wasted for the show overall.

That said, I hope to god Gaimu will be something more interesting and worth a watch. So far, people have been hyping over it.
 
I agree with everything in this topic. Wizard is so bland. The story, characters, and background music (very few are good like Haruto's henshin theme). I wanted to like it like I like W, OOO, and Fourze but it just can't be liked.

A friend of mine really likes it. Dunno how he does it.
 
Masochist perhaps?

Anyway, with everyone saying that of how problematic Wizard is, what do you all say about its upcoming movie? I've not seen any complaining about that so far, and personally I think it'd be much better than the series. Only if Haruto can show a bit of emotion more.
 
I'm sad to say that while Wizard used to be my second favorite Rider series it sadly has lost that title. It had so much promise but sadly after Phoenix's final defeat I think it went down hill. I mean I get what they are trying to do by putting so much focus on The Victims of the Week. They are trying to get you to like them so that you want them to be saved but sadly that not really what anyone wants is it?
 
I agree with everything in this topic. Wizard is so bland. The story, characters, and background music (very few are good like Haruto's henshin theme). I wanted to like it like I like W, OOO, and Fourze but it just can't be liked.

A friend of mine really likes it. Dunno how he does it.

There's a core of Wizard fans on Tumblr and a few other sites. Of those I've encountered most are invested in psychoanalysing Haruto and his "saviour" issues, or are invested in wanting to see Mayu as a full-time female Rider, or they like it because they hate Fourze
 
Toei producer's office, 2012.

Utsunomiya: OK, let's hear the pitch. All I know is Bandai is on some magician kick, so that's the motif. Whattya got?

Kida: It's a show about nothing.

Utsunomiya: Huh?

Kida: What did you do today? You got up, ate some doughnuts, boom, that's a show.

Utsunomiya: I think you may have something here.

You're actually comparing Wizard to Sienfeld? REALLY? Because more happend in Sienfeld than in wizard over all seasons than this one season of Wizard.

That's my problem with the show. Nothing really happens plot wise. A lot of leads are given, but often not followed up or just left hanging there. Al of a sudden, new plot elements are intruduced and we get a change of the flow of the whole arc.

I think I just realized it's true flaw. There is no REAL arc in wizard exept "Haruto fights phantoms". What is he looking for? What is his real reason to fight? WHY does he want to be people's last hope? To atone for his friend? If that's the case, they could have done that arc a hell of a lot sooner.

What I'm saying is, that I think Wizard is a real mess production wise. There is no red thread running though it. It feels incoherent, chaotic and bland. That's why I, personally, don't really care for the show.
 
Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-14E6XnG0"]It's a show about nothing for 10 minutes (HD) - YouTube[/ame]
(Sadly, this was the only version I could find but, still works)
 
Haurto's Motivations and Wizard Thoughts.

What is he looking for? What is his real reason to fight? WHY does he want to be people's last hope?.

1. He is not looking for anything; he just wants to get rid of the Phantoms.

2, His reason to fight is so that people do not die and give up in despair, like he saw and almost did.

3. Because he wants to help people in need.

Okay, my turn! I like Wizard, I do. I think it is not a hectic as Fourze because it is about adults and Fourze was about high school students. As a high school student myself, it is a fast-paced life and everything happens so fast!

Now, the complement with the characters; I do not get it. Some people never grow, some (shocker) are bland, some are stereotypes and some have spats and then grow with their friendship (the Nemoto arc was a solid example of this!)

The loose plot threads part works for me to, things get dropped in real life, not everything gets followed up with. Besides, it is better if it is given to us bit by bit, it was be bad if they just hit us over the head with a hammer all the time.

The only problem I have is why Sora is not getting the most screen time, he is super! When he does appear, it is just magic (pun maybe intended!)
 
Last edited:
1. He is not looking for anything; he just wants to get rid of the Phantoms.

2, His reason to fight is so that people do not die and give up in despair, like he saw and almost did.

3. Because he wants to help people in need.

Those three I know and already have (some) problems with. 1. He's basically committing genocide: he wants to get rid of all phantoms. However, ALL phantoms aren't a threat. Take Cait Sith. He just wanted to lay about and chill out. Pheonix and Medusa basically herassed him into driving the gate into dispair.

2. Haruto has been trough some ****, agreed. But he's no tortured soul. He's WAY to aloof and relaxed. He did seem to hide some torment: the loss of his parents, hurting his friend and dashing his dream. But those are four episodes out of forty. He's hardly fleshed out. Are these his only motivations?

3. He wants to help people in need, right. Why? To prevent that the same thing happens to them that happens to him? They let that shine trough here and there, but not enough.

Also, WW's plot is spread too thin. Plus it's becoming hella predictable. Especially with Mage pupping up now. Direct lead in to the move, calling it.

In short: I still have no real answers to my questions and we're 40 eps in now. The pacing seems to be THAT horrible. Ungh...:disappoin
 
Wow that is the single most insulting thing I have heard today. You are saying people that watch toku are to slow to follow a show that last 1 year. Sorry but that is pure hogwash. There is nothing hard to grasp about a Japanese kids show that lasts 1 ep a week for a year. I am sorry if it's to much for you to grasp, but please don't assume that's the case for the rest of us.

:laugh:

Wow, what do you know, the one who takes my post seriously is none other than the king himself.

why-so-serious.avif

Haven't you figured out by now how I work?
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top