R

raden238

Based on the Sentais that I've watched so far. Gonna go with Toqger, Goseiger and Sun Vulcan (recommend to watch anyway just to get an idea of 1981 Japan, I believe it is oldest completed Eng subbed Sentai available) but I'm gonna disagree with you guys about the good finale in Sun Vulcan. That was worst part for me. It was random and our heroes never fought Japanese Darth Vader. How on earth is that a good finale??

My absolute goes to Kyoryuger (or KyoryuJERK!).
I absolutely loathe that series with burning passion. :mad:
Bad writing thanks Riku Sanjo (who wrote EVERY episodes which makes it worse), horribly unlikable characters (especially King), forgettable music/BGM, terribly down-right embarrassing action choreography (thanks to Sakamoto), and "sexist" producer (Takahito Omori) who thought yellow was too "girly" and initially refused to have any more female rangers.
It's the not only the WORST sentai series I've ever seen, but it may be the worst tokusatsu series I have ever seen.
I can laugh at series like Kamen Rider Kabuto and Decade, I can make fun of glittering turd like Magiranger, but Kyoryuger went to the whole new level of atrocity.
Heck, even the most hatred seasons of Power Rangers like Megaforce/Super Megaforce is better than this mess.
Even all time worst episode of PR like "Trickster Treat" was better than EVERY episodes of Kyoryuger combined. lol :laugh:

Unfortunately, Ninninger might replace that in future, since I'm really not liking and enjoying the series.
I have a feeling it's going to be "KyoryuJERK 2.0" or I should call it NinninJERK! lol

D

Dr Kain

How can you not like Ninninger? It already has energy, great looking villains, a strong ranger cast, excellent choreography, and most of all, a great balance between comedy and drama. Sure, the series could take a turn for the first in about 15 episodes, but so far, it is solid.

I'm really not liking the characters, especially Takaharu and Yakumo, who's acting like jerk, which reminds me of Kyoryuger character, except it's worse IMO. Only characters I kind of like so far are Nagi and Kasumi.
What's with Takaharu screaming? Who does he think he is, Gentaro (Fourze)? I really can't stand that.
The fight choreography is nice, but sometime it looks like they are trying way too hard, which can look very obvious and cheap IMO.
The balance between comedy and drama is also awkward, where it's not balanced out very well.
Only thing I really like are mecha action, where design is very appealing, and their action are fluid; huge improvement from last 2 series IMO.
Probably the best since Go-busters IMO... ok maybe not that much, but it's close.
Other than that, I'm really not digging too much.
I might be the only person in this forum (or world) who think this way, but this is my opinion.
It could change later however, but I wouldn't hold my breath too much (especially, when StarNinger arrive, where judging by the look, I'm expecting "Genta 2.0" (ugh). I really can't stand Genta).
That's my thought so far.

Lurker
Ninninger is pretty enjoyable to me, but I'm dreading StarNinger.
Not only is the suit terrible and the henshin device is a cheeseburger, but I'm pretty sure the character will be super obnoxious and hyper.

Anyways, I'd say Go-Onger was the worst Sentai for me.
The acting was just flat out terrible and it's so evident with their role call.
There's no effort and it sounds so forced.
The plot did nothing for me either and the villains were boring and utterly incompetent.
I also didn't like the mechas having anime eyes.
I barely got past the 1st ep and stopped at 3 since it was just unbearable.

I also didn't like Kyoryuger for the same reasons as most people.

D

Dr Kain

I'm hoping StarNinger is more like Jaraiya from Kaku than Genta.

Guillotine Gorilla
I'm interested in what sort of discussions OP thought he could create with this thread

Go-Onger has been flat out unbearable so far for me. It is a complete chore to sit through; it talks down to its audience, its actors are atrocious, the characters are unlikable and its writing is just plain lazy.

However, as far as Sentai I've finished goes, I hated Gaoranger. Again: flat and bland characters, an uninteresting storyline, and its Bandai at its toy-whoring worst. Yet somehow I finished it. I imagine if I ever do finish Go-Onger, it'll take the "top" spot only because Gaoranger at least had GaoSilver's introduction arc and a good soundtrack.

Now that I've finished Go-Onger, I stand corrected. Gaoranger is still worse. Go-Onger is still a poorly acted series, but it really justifies its motif later on by going in depth with the multiple dimensions and the interactions between the Engines and the Go-Ongers. Plus, while the final arc is pretty reminiscent of Gaoranger's (allies are separated from each other by the big bad's super attack and they're all seemingly dead), Go-Onger doesn't do an ass-pull to worm its way out of the situation like the former did.

Alright I am going to bump this topic as someone that has seen the first nine sentai shows. Hands down it is Sun Vulcan...
A lot of people really struggle to watch Sun Vulcan and I can see why. The series' big gimmick is that they have two vehicles that <gasp> combine into a giant robo! Which was probably a big deal back then but is rather pedestrian now. It follows the trend amongst early Sentai for keeping the heroes very much as stock characters (watch Sun Vulcan's OP and you've learned almost everything you're ever likely to find out about the trio), the big villain is a chibified Darth Vader who's lines feels like they were recycled from Shocker's Great Leader, and it sticks almost exclusively to the bare bones Sentai episode formula with relatively little in the way of ongoing story.

The silver lining IMO are the female characters. Misa is the Big Damn Hero of the series as far as I'm concerned. She takes a similar role to Taki in the original Kamen Rider - going under cover to spy on the villains, taking on footsoldiers, rescuing hostages and so on. She may not transform, but she does more by herself than a lot of female rangers ever managed. I wish we'd had a lot more supporting characters like her. Machiko Soga's Queen Hedrian easily outshines Hell Saturn, and IMO her scheming along with her loyal right hand woman Amazon Killer in the final quarter really lifted the show up. Even Zero Girl #1 was a good foil for the Vulcans, acting as field commander and equalling any of them individually in combat. As I said, they're a silver lining and not the making of a great show, but there was something interesting about them (which I haven't found in the Bioman episodes GUIS has released so far :redface2:).