NAME THE WORST SUPER SENTAI SERIES YOU'VE EVER WATCHED

Nice post!!
My theory is...Twin Peaks was popular at the time, and I know the Japanese loved Twin Peaks, so I'm thinking Sugimura must have been a fan, and was trying his hand at Lynchian weirdness, which resulted in some circus-freak Sentai shows.

Twin Peaks would've aired in Japan concurrently with Zyuranger after a quick study of airdate info online, so I'm not inclined to think it influenced Sugimura's style. I think Sugimura was probably just one of those creators who enjoys surrealism for its own sake.

Noboru Sugimura's Capcom output includes the first three Onimusha games, Resident Evil 2, and the completely weird light gun Resident Evil spinoffs. A lot of this stuff was made way after the Twin Peaks had run its course in Japan but is no less weird than his Super Sentai stuff.

Curious thing: none of these games featured kids prominently either (iirc). I really wonder if he just felt like henshin hero stuff was for kids and therefore, kid characters should be involved as a way of appealing to the target audience. His video games largely concerned young adult characters and tended to be popular with people around that age.

Would like to change his avatar
I just think it's weird that if you see what Sugimura wrote before Zyuranger -- he was main writer of Jiban, Winspector, and Solbrain, he wrote the Kamen Rider Black finale -- and compare it to what he wrote afterward (including the video games you mention), I think something influenced him to start writing in a purposely kooky style. Because those shows were just ordinary and generic.

I think some of Zyuranger's oddness came from the clash of the fantasy imagery, but Dairanger, Kakuranger, and Ohranger go on to do some pretty freakin' odd stuff. And just because Twin Peaks had run its course by some of his latest works doesn't mean it still wouldn't have had a big impact on him. Like I said, it's a theory.

I want to preface this by saying I haven't seen a lot of the 'worst' series, like Go-Onger.

I actually really got into Shinkenger at the beginning....and then it just started to feel really, really long. I liked Genta a lot, but the constant influx of Origami, the absolute ridiculousness of the robo itself (the design really bugged me), Genta's talking latern (the name escapes me) didn't grab me the right way either. I didn't absolutely hate it, but i'd defintely put it low on the list.

As a whole, I enjoyed Zyuranger, but the ending almost ruins the entire series for me. I thought it was extremely unsatisfying.

Jetman is ony i'm iffy on. I loved it the first time, but I think that was in large part because it was my first Sentai series. On second viewing, it didn't really hold up. I did enjoy the whole love triangle, though, and LOVED the episode where Radiguet forced himself to team up wit Ryu to defeat Garza. Apart from those things, though, I thought a lot of it was pretty lame. The ending was so mishandled it almost made me scream. Gai, one of my favourite characters ever, got such a lame send off.

I'm 20 or so episodes into Liveman...and **** me is this series ridiculous. I've never skipped so many episodes of a Sentai before. The two parter with the Dinosaur was so freaking stupid it almost made me give up the series. Then there was that one episode when everyone turned into apes....and the one where the kids turned into pigs...and the one where Yuusuke had to be .04 seconds faster....just fucking silly. And when they did do something good, like the whole Obler arc and that one episode where Jou fell in love with the good part of Mazenda, they did a bunch of totally ridiculous stuff. Again, I haven't finished the series, but I haven't liked it really so far.

D

Dr Kain

Oh Kamen Rider Black, how that ending ruined such a great show. I probably can never watch the series again after that horrific lackluster piece of **** ending. We spend all that time waiting for Shadow Moon, and when he appears, he is nothing like they built him up to be. His final fight was a let down and boring.

Geord, Liveman is the best from the 80s.