Unpopular Opinions In Tokufandom

I am relatively sure this has been said before, but one thing I really get pissed off about is when people rage about someone else saying "I like Power Rangers/Kamen Rider Dragon Knight."

What's wrong with liking those shows? They were made with a western audience in mind. They're officially licensed adaptions of the Japanese source material so all those claims of them being "stolen from the Japanese" are just plain bull. Hell, Japan is fully aware of these adaptions, seeing as those get dubbed back into Japanese and all. Hell, from what I read, Lost Galaxy was more successful in Japan than Gingaman. So, what the hell?
I can understand liking something over another thing, but going all spiteful about it? Seriously? =\

Nothing is wrong with liking those shows. People shouldn't hate or bash you for liking them. HOW EVER... People have every right to hate those shows, and say why they hate them. You have every right to like them, and others have every right to hate them.

And please people STOP that stupid "LG DID BETTER der der" nonsense. It's not true, it's a thing idiots came up with, end of story.
 
Actually this annoys me too especially when Sentai/KR fans call people who like American toku adaptations "weaboos"

Well first off if they called you a weaboo for liking PR then they are using the word weaboo wrong. Weaboo are the people that use random Japanese words when they don't speak english.
 
It was intense bromance between Godai and Ichigou. :P

Don't let Forever Knight see that word. :laugh:

I am relatively sure this has been said before, but one thing I really get pissed off about is when people rage about someone else saying "I like Power Rangers/Kamen Rider Dragon Knight."

What's wrong with liking those shows? They were made with a western audience in mind. They're officially licensed adaptions of the Japanese source material so all those claims of them being "stolen from the Japanese" are just plain bull. Hell, Japan is fully aware of these adaptions, seeing as those get dubbed back into Japanese and all. Hell, from what I read, Lost Galaxy was more successful in Japan than Gingaman. So, what the hell?
I can understand liking something over another thing, but going all spiteful about it? Seriously? =\

What? There's a good amount of people who come here to discuss Power Rangers and Dragon Knight. I like Dragon Knight. Many others here like it as well. Gingaman was more popular than Lost Galaxy. Where do you get this stuff?

The rest I agree with, but people have got to stop saying this. Where is this written so I can write someone a note and get them to take it down? Because it's not true. Gingaman was one of the most popular sentai series of the 90s.

Some people like to take opinions as facts, build upon it, and perpetuate it as a fact for eternity.

Okay, I take that unsubstantiated claim I read somewhere months ago back. Shoulda done the research first; not to mention ask myself "An unpopular Kobayashi-written show? No way" :B

The amount of fan-dumb one gets for liking PR or DK from a huge portion of the Toku "fandom" is still baffling nevertheless, though.

Please rephrase this for me. I'm not sure I'm understanding it right.
 
The amount of fan-dumb one gets for liking PR or DK from a huge portion of the Toku "fandom" is still baffling nevertheless, though.

What annoys me is if someone is trying to talk about Power Rangers or Dragon Knight and some douche yells "You should watch Ryuki or [whatever], it's so much better!' 'Cause, you know, it's inconceivable that guy has already seen it and also happens to enjoy adaptations on their own terms.
 
Some people like to take opinions as facts, build upon it, and perpetuate it as a fact for eternity.

I'm just curious if there's an actual webpage somewhere that's disseminating this stuff (like the Ryuki webpage that erroneously stated Kobayashi was the "head writer" of GEAR Fighter Dendoh) or if it's just a meme that has gone beyond the control of any one man.
 
I think it's just a stupid meme that people who don't know better just believe to be true. What's worse is the fact that they try to push it through as fact without knowing a thing about it.
 
What annoys me is if someone is trying to talk about Power Rangers or Dragon Knight and some douche yells "You should watch Ryuki or [whatever], it's so much better!' 'Cause, you know, it's inconceivable that guy has already seen it and also happens to enjoy adaptations on their own terms.

So let me get your statement right. Some one says they love DK, some one else says you should check out Ryuki it's better.

And that person is a douche? I mean the way you worded it doesn't make the person sound like a douche. It just makes that person sound like they are giving their feelings on the other show. Now if the person had said like "That DK sucks, just watch Ryuki not some lame Adaption", THAT would be a douchy thing to say.
 
I don't believe that watching any kind of tokusatsu makes you a "weeaboo", or a "geek," "nerd" etc. I hate the assumption that just because you like something vaguely sci-fi related, you're a socially inept neckbeard
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top