That weird kid...
Hi guys, first time poster here (so don't be too harsh please):)

Now that Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger is done and dusted, i wanted to see where everyone lies with the series as a whole? did you like it? did you hate it?

I personally thought overall it was a decent Sentai series, not one that will go down as one of my favorites though. It had some really good moments and some occasional terrible moments.

i really liked the suits and mech for the most part (ugh that carnival suit still gives me nightmares :disappoin) and the weapons were pretty cool too.

the main characters were all pretty good, although less focus on daigo would have been nice.

the theme i didn't like at first but soon grew attached to, and always loved the end theme.

all in all i would give the series a 7-7.5 in total.

What do you guys think?

I've actually been liking the final arc of episodes. Compared to the dreck of most of the rest of the show they're fairly decent.

Overall if you dig around enough you can see some things in Kyoryuger courtesy of Sanjo that make me think this could have been a good show. But it really feels like he was constrained by Toei into flooding it with so much wacky hijinks (because Go-Busters was so dark and depressing according to Bandai :rolleyes2:) that it diluted his actual story. Which is kind of the fate of most Sentais of the past decade.

But even then the actual story is like Fiveman, a grabbag of stuff from previous Sentais, only less coherent and less enjoyable. (At least with Fiveman you can write it off as Hirohisa Soda's swan song of sorts.) And the pacing of said story is like Dairanger in reverse: long arcs of cartoony junk punctuated by "serious drama" breaks that quickly resolve things to go back to the silliness. This too I might blame on Toei/Bandai meddling with Sanjo.

I'll finish by saying the Deboss (bosses in particular) are the worst-designed monsters in Sentai history. Largely because they don't look like monsters anyone would take seriously. It's like if you took episodes of Sentais where an innocent toy becomes a monster and made a whole villain group out of them. They really ought to have followed a pagan god motif so to better match Torin's design. That would've also added a sort of mythological aspect to the show, Torin as a kind of Prometheus figure.

Last edited:
Mad Skillz
I was a little disappointed with the finale - though I do like the concept of not every Ranger transforming during the final episode for some reason. I seem to be one of the people that really enjoyed the final episode though, so I can't fault it too much. Though I really do dislike what became of Amy. Maybe her development there wouldn't have felt as odd if her feelings for Daigo had been mentioned more throughout the series rather than just showing her to be oblivious.

That out of the way, I really like Kyoryuger a lot - to the point where I actually consider it my favorite Sentai. It takes elements of three of my favorite shows (Kakuranger, Flashman, and Changeman) and manages to update them and strike a rather nice balance throughout. From time to time there would be some mood whiplash but I thought Kyoryuger seemed just fine in this regard. It was one of those shows that could be funny and then go into something more serious and it would work - and I think this is the case because, even for a Sentai, a lot of the more serious story lines are still grounded in the most absurd possible concepts.

It never seemed that there was much executive meddling going on, though in the case of Yayoi, it's obvious because we do know Sakamoto wanted her to have a bigger role, but that's the extent of it. From the first episode to the last, I always thought everything taking place was going along this natural path that Sanjo knew he wanted to take his series in and I was totally okay with that. That's not to say I loved every episode, there was a string of episodes in the early 30s that I was not a fan of, but I thoroughly enjoyed most of what the show presented.

I think one of the factors elevating Kyoryuger for me is that it did such a fantastic job with rubber suit villains. They have these boisterous personalities to make up for the lack of face actors, but it worked in my book. You got to know and care or respect the villains and a very sincere manner that I don't usually see in other shows with this sort of set up. Aigaron's death in particular was probably the most powerful moment the series had to offer and I loved that this show was capable of doing something like that. (and that Sanjo didn't forget about the dark Aigaron story)

I liked where everyone in the series ended up by the end of things, but it strikes me as a show that's going to need some sort of real epilogue to further tie things together. I'm never a fan of the whole "wait until you see the REAL threat!" concept in tokusatsu because it's almost never followed up upon due to the nature of these shows.

Gripes aside, it's not hard for me to love this show. It's the first time in ages I can say "Hey, I really love this show," without some sort of qualifier as is the case for me with Gekiranger and Goseiger.

Kyoryuger is/was a fun, high-energy, not-to-be-taken-so-seriously-unless-you-want-to-look-out-of-touch-with-reality kid's show.

Like a Sentai is supposed to be. It wasn't a magnum opus of entertainment, but everything that it had on there was totally fine being there.

MagiFanboy
For me, there were a lot of fun moments, but there were also a lot of annoying or groan-worthy moments, and ultimately it never felt like Kyoryuger had ever become more than just the sum of its parts. A major failing of the show was, I'm sure this is going to be a big shock and all, was just how sexist it was; every male member of the main team get's a character arc, even if awkwardly paced, while Amy's just fizzles out in the mid teens with the episode where she's kidnapped by the strict teacher monster and Gentle is okay with her being a Kyoryuger from then on. Then all we get for Amy was the anemic love-triangle and then her suddenly being in love-love with King out of nowhere at the end. We can and have done better than this.

That, and an underwhelming finale in which things just don't have impact due to lacking proper build-up, leaves me distinctly unimpressed with Kyoryuger.

Budou though
it was okay. wouldn't say it's the greatest or weakest. at least i was able to finish it unlike gobusters.

I'm watching it now, really for the first time, since I followed as it aired through episode 11, before I stopped.

I just finished the episode where they filled the dam's water with the monster growing water, plopped down the Frozen Castle, and Deboss revived.

It's... all right. There just seems to be something... missing about it, to me. Can't really put my finger on what, exactly.

I don't want to repeat myself from what I said in the finale thread, so I'll just say this: It's probably the most solid series, plot-wise, since Magiranger.

It's a great series, and belongs in my Top....something, though probably not my Top 5. Most likely Top 10, definitely Top 15.

Still in the middle of watching it, and it seems to me that it doesn't truly start until after Deboss is revived and defeated the first time.

After that, it becomes a lot more focused, in what it's trying to do.