"Uchuu Keiji" Zaido - Talkback {Starts: Sept 24}

After personal analysis, I deduced that the reason why Zaido is getting so much hate is because of its RELATION to Shaider. It was a spin-off, not a new Metal Hero series altogether. I would bet that had Zaido been an original based on Shaider and NOT related to Shaider, it wouldn't get as much hate and venom as it would now by people. Its relation to Shaider is giving it something to compare it to and hence, people have HIGH expectations.

As for me, the reason why I'm not hating Zaido is because I'm sick and tired of being negative. Although I'm a firm believer of it's better to not say something than say something awful, I can't blame the Toku fans from being disappointed (err I mean pissed) at this matter. Looking at the bright side, at least we can see that Zaido was being appreciated by non-Filipinos, and that's a sigh of relief.

EDIT: It seems that people here have just said yesterday what I said now... touche!
 
After personal analysis, I deduced that the reason why Zaido is getting so much hate is because of its RELATION to Shaider. It was a spin-off, not a new Metal Hero series altogether. I would bet that had Zaido been an original based on Shaider and NOT related to Shaider, it wouldn't get as much hate and venom as it would now by people. Its relation to Shaider is giving it something to compare it to and hence, people have HIGH

No it's not so much high expectations than it was just wanting it to be...y'know...good.

Even without the relation to Shaider, I think it would still be the Tokusatsu version of Passions and would still suffer from the current problems it has now. They've spent all this time and effort trying to hype it up as an action show and it's really failed to deliver on that aspect. Also, the sub-plot should never dominate the show unless it's really done well.

I know I keep saying the same thing over and over but it's true. They've got some serious issues to clear up, otherwise this will be another forgettable soap opera.
 
Last edited:
After personal analysis, I deduced that the reason why Zaido is getting so much hate is because of its RELATION to Shaider. It was a spin-off, not a new Metal Hero series altogether. I would bet that had Zaido been an original based on Shaider and NOT related to Shaider, it wouldn't get as much hate and venom as it would now by people. Its relation to Shaider is giving it something to compare it to and hence, people have HIGH expectations.

As for me, the reason why I'm not hating Zaido is because I'm sick and tired of being negative. Although I'm a firm believer of it's better to not say something than say something awful, I can't blame the Toku fans from being disappointed (err I mean pissed) at this matter. Looking at the bright side, at least we can see that Zaido was being appreciated by non-Filipinos, and that's a sigh of relief.

EDIT: It seems that people here have just said yesterday what I said now... touche!

Yes you are right. I did say this yesterday and I'm glad you agree. Thank you also for understanding our point of view.

Of course, a corollary would be this: people watch it because of the Shaider connection. Would they watch it if it didn't have the Shaider connection? Maybe. I mean with all the big names they put in the cast...

On another tangent, I recall what Tsuburaya productions did in 1993, when they made an Ultramanesque show named Gridman. They really innovated with the idea of Computerworlds and Virus monsters there, but decided to make it a show unconnected with Ultraman. I guess they felt that the premise of the show would be too different from the typical Ultra fare and that they might alienate Ultra fans by too radical a set of innovations. In Ultraman Tiga the innovation consisted of setting it in a different reality than the M78 Ultras and giving Tiga multiple forms - not that radical a departure from tradition.

What if Gridman was Ultraman Grid or something? Probably hate mail galore...
 
Last edited:
Question: what japanese superhero shows have you watched?

Not that I'm implying you haven't watched any... but I'm just curious. It's just that all shaider fans I personally know hate Zaido...

But maybe if you've seen some of the more drama-oriented toku like the latest Masked Riders, then yeah I can see your point of view...

But for people like me who are more used to straight action, Zaido is a disappointment.

And some of the others are also saying that it's not so much that it's a shame to the Shaider name, but that FX and props and set wise, it sucks supposedly compared to the rival show Lastikman.


I'm not really a tokusatsu fanatic, but I watch some of the Saturday toku shows on GMA. I've watched Kabuto, Blade and 555, though they didn't give me a click as much as Zaido have (probably because I haven't started the series unlike Zaido, which I watched from Day 1).

When I was a kid, I used to watch Bioman, Shaider, Jiban, Maskman 5, and various Ultraman series (those shows that were dubbed in Tagalog when I was a kid).

Now about being a Shaider fan... I have watched and like the original Shaider but I'm not an avid fan, so I guess there goes your answer. :laugh:

As for my preferences... I've been used to more drama shows than straight action shows (I've watched more Japanese drama shows than toku), so you'd see the difference between our preferences. Still, coming from your point of view, I'd understand that Zaido may not completely fit for your taste.

But personally, I haven't been comparing Zaido with all the rest--I treat it as one of its own and I just enjoy it as it is. I think it's unfair to compare dramas which were made by different countries, which have different cultures and different target audiences. And to think that you're comparing a Japan 1980s to a Philippine 2007 drama, a lot of things already changed in terms of the people's culture, values, etc. in that span of time. And we have all aged enough to see that difference, haven't we? Not to mention the cultural difference in Japan and the Philippines.

Like I said, if the show's gathering ratings in the Philippines, then the audience must have appreciated it. All of us Filipinos who lived in the Philippines that are in this forum and other Internet forums might only compose of 5-10% of all Filipinos who watched it. That's why I don't mind the constructive criticism... I just hate lambasting the show without any basis.
 
Just between us my friend, you and I both know people will watch it just to see Diana Zubiri et al, ha ha.

But yeah, I loved those old toku and can't stand dramas in general (with exceptions - I was hooked on Jewel in the Palace but watched it on chinese dvd) while you appreciate dramas more.

Hence, differences in general taste result in differences in reactions to the same show.

Hmmm, I wonder how you would have liked AGITO. I love it. My wife loves it.
 
Last edited:
Hehe... I like Diana Zubiri, but I like Karel Marquez more ;-)

I've been hearing about Agito but I haven't watched it yet... I'm still busy subbing dramas and movies so no time to watch, but I'll try to get hold of that one of these days.
 
No, I don't consider it a flame. A flame is a personal attack. This is a call for me to back up what I said. You're right and I have an obligation to clarify what I said.

I don't mean I can match big name studios in terms of SFX and costumes and all, but I think they should have more respect for the genre when it comes to writing the stories.

Hmmm, the Uchu Keiji after Shaider was supposed to be named Deniron... (one uchu keiji tradition they broke was the naming of the hero after an actor. Shaider was from Roy Scheider and Deniron was from Robert De Niro. However, Gavan was supposed to be named Uchu Keiji Z. Maybe "Zaido" was based on that?)

Give me a local team of volunteers willing to work and I'll bring out my handycam and we'll go do it! Or at least we could come up with a storyline and script...

I'm still waiting for this indie toku you'll make to top the zaido of gma7...
 
Zaido = Tokusatsu meets 90210. I love it.

Episodes 2 and 3 subbed haven't been put up yet either, damn. I'm salvitating at the mouth to see more of this series.

My nextdoor neighbours are from the Filipines and they have children and the one kid was running on my lawn yesterday with a Blue PROO figure, so I may burn some Zaido for him to watch, haha.
 

Ah good ol Ang Pakwakawas. If their GaoWhite could act it might have been good.

Seriously does this show need to always refer to Shaider in obvious ways? I mean the show has characters referring to Shaider like a freaking documentary.

Btw does anyone have any vids of other Filipino tokus? like this Lastikman and Rounin that I've been hearing alot about.

Also Forever Knight its Philippines not Filipines. Theres only an F when you are saying Filipino.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top