For me the biggest mistake this movie done is they make a Gavan successor as just a new Gavan suit with a little difference.
Thanks to Gokaiger vs Gavan, people's memory about Gavan (some of them not even know who is Gavan before, including in HJU) is "Kenji Ohba/Retsu Ichijouji is Gavan." Then suddenly months later they made this movie with a new guy and his suit is only a little update from Gavan in Gokaiger vs Gavan.
Maybe it should be a totally new Space Sheriff, the movie still about Gavan (the original) but with the appearance of this new Space Sheriff to aid him in the final part of the movie, kinda like Ultraman Zero in Ultra Galaxy Legend movie. And then next year the new Space Sheriff will have his own movie.

I agree, having made the audience aware of the hero known as Gavan and litterally having put a face on him. Making the kids aware of who Gavan is supposed to be and then suddenly changing him, forcing Kenji to only have a cameo while cause a massive backlash.

Gavan The Movie hit ¥144,198,463 in the second week, basically doubling the numbers of the initial weekend. That's... actually pretty good as far as "legs" go, considering how it started, even if it's rather low overall - it's still bellow the second week of any of the Sentai Vs movies, but I guess the gap isn't as big as before, proportionally, although it's still pretty big

It hasn't even reached the first week of Gokaiger vs Gavan yet though (160,896,318), but that movie did beat every Sentai Vs movie in the box office (aside from 199 Heroes and Super Hero Taisen if you want to count them). On the other hand, it IS still doing worse than Go-onger Vs Gekiranger(second week it had reached ¥179,794,483), the first Vs movie shown on theaters and that clearly was initially made to be direct to video like its predecessors, and its budget showed. So, even if it keeping basically the same numbers of the first week going into the second one is good, the numbers overall are very low, and I don't think it'll be able to sustain legs for a third week...

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDRYgbSUrIk"]gavan the movie latest trailer - YouTube[/ame]

I couldn't find any numbers for Gavan's third week, it apparently wasn't even tracked by the big trackers...

I don't do sense
I... How did this bomb again?

It's such a bloody good movie!
The story pulls no surprises but is still evenly solid, a classic tale if you want.
Geki himself definitely has a character that makes him stand apart from Retsu, and so does Shelly.
The whole structure is like a huge fanservice to Gavan fans.
The pseudo love triangle is just a cute point done tactfully and not obnoxious at all.
Sanae Hitomi is absolutely awesome as the witch, she's practically Machiko Soga good.
Soundtrack works really well.
Actions scenes, oh god, the action scenes. Aside from some questionable CG choices, it was just perfect, and so many suitless scenes too.
The Planet Bird CG shot was cool.
Not sure about Sharivan and Shaider cameos but eh, it's fanservice too.
The package feels like a real movie and not just a special to something.
Even the cinematography is well-done and has a couple of interesting shots.
And this was done by Kaneda?

So how come Japan, how come this gem fails in box office and SHT gets mad dosh? I am officially pissed!

Last edited:

So how come Japan, how come this gem fails in box office and SHT gets mad dosh? I am officially pissed!

Two words: Iron Man.

2.0 should have had a different suit to be a different Uchuu Keiji and the older suits should have been revamped to be in somewhat competition with Hollywood, in my opinion. The CG should not have been so dreadful and Toei should have invested in puppetry or superior CG models alongside the puppetry to make it even more blockbuster material.

Last edited:

It's such a bloody good movie!
The story pulls no surprises but is still evenly solid, a classic tale if you want.
Geki himself definitely has a character that makes him stand apart from Retsu, and so does Shelly.
The whole structure is like a huge fanservice to Gavan fans.
The pseudo love triangle is just a cute point done tactfully and not obnoxious at all.
Sanae Hitomi is absolutely awesome as the witch, she's practically Machiko Soga good.
Soundtrack works really well.
Actions scenes, oh god, the action scenes. Aside from some questionable CG choices, it was just perfect, and so many suitless scenes too.
The Planet Bird CG shot was cool.
Not sure about Sharivan and Shaider cameos but eh, it's fanservice too.
The package feels like a real movie and not just a special to something.
Even the cinematography is well-done and has a couple of interesting shots.
And this was done by Kaneda?

It's mostly because today's fans are more behind Kamen Rider & Super Sentai. Which is why Space Sheriffs & Ishinomori's Heroes have to be carried by them.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I've mentioned this before but it's possible it didn't help that Geki is the new guy. Kids wouldn't remember Gavan and adults who do are very likely to have nostalgia goggles for the old one (explaining the success of Gokaiger Vs Gavan.) It's well documented that re-makes/updates of old shows and movies are liable to flop because people will consider them inferior to the original, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the reason here

Mad Skillz
Whatever the reason, it's such a shame, it really was a good movie. Geki's actor isn't nearly as annoying as he seemed in those Go-Busters episodes. And the Makuu Dimension stuff was hilarious.

I've mentioned this before but it's possible it didn't help that Geki is the new guy. Kids wouldn't remember Gavan and adults who do are very likely to have nostalgia goggles for the old one (explaining the success of Gokaiger Vs Gavan.) It's well documented that re-makes/updates of old shows and movies are liable to flop because people will consider them inferior to the original, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the reason here

Doesn't help the "revamp" was just blue eyes and a few unnoticeable touchups. Should have been a different armor and look that would be a homage to the Metal Heroes, but be acceptable for older fans.