If the movie is actually better than people expected, maybe the flopping is just bad advertising -- I know Toei tried to really drum up interest in the Space Sheriffs around its release with things like the comic and the 30 Year Memorial, but the ads for the actual movie? Really didn't make it look that great. And to make it worse, those two Go-busters episodes were some of the worst episodes of Go-busters, period, and maybe not the best first impression for the new take...

:shrug:

Still beats watching Zaido though.

Super Moderator
Finally saw it, a bit iffy about it...could have been way better

Kinda feel the same. The other two leads came off really bland. Also I can't tell if the pacing was off or if maybe it's the way the movie was edited. It also has a less severe version of that KR The First problem where pre-occupation with the B plot slows down the A plot.

On the other hand in keeping with my earlier John Carter comparison it is kind of the same thing where the first half drags and then second picks up. Also, Kenji by-god Ohba.

I'm a wee bit late with this, but honestly I kind of had mixed opinions about the Gavan movie.
To me, everything about it was good...except for the leads. Geki and Shelly really just drug the movie down immensely, bland and passive characters with nothing interesting about them. Only in the very final moment of the final battle does Geki actually do something good, and it really feels like such a giant cop-out.
I get the whole point is the arc of making an underdog a worthy successor, but Geki spends practically the entire movie getting thrown around like a rag doll. One final blow does not a Gavan make.

And, honestly, when you take a step back, everything else about the movie is really quite neat. You have a menacing villain. You have an interesting plotline. Very cool fight scenes. And Retsu...well, you could do entire essays about how awesome Retsu is.
I think if the movie was more buddy-cop and less passing-the-torch, it would've been much better.

Kinda feel the same. The other two leads came off really bland. Also I can't tell if the pacing was off or if maybe it's the way the movie was edited. It also has a less severe version of that KR The First problem where pre-occupation with the B plot slows down the A plot.

On the other hand in keeping with my earlier John Carter comparison it is kind of the same thing where the first half drags and then second picks up. Also, Kenji by-god Ohba.

I have a great del of nostalgia when i watch anything uchuu keiji related period, but you hit t right on the nail,the 2 other leads are kinda non engaging, they seem kinda forced on us, I iwsh they had spent more time on the detective aspect of it like in the actual series Oba was researching inquiring sheesh working his tail off, plus we dont know much about the new gavan except that he's nuts about his friends, he just lacks the charisma of Oba-san. Kenji Oba literally stole the movie,,, The plot was lame, the action sub-par and toei failed on capitalizing off of the nostalgia factor, you know how many countries were excited about the movie, advertising was mediocre at best, im happy still the movie came out