Yeah; and indeed, a big issue of Toqger is how the villains feel more "real" than the heroes : they allhave personalities, motivations, when the five Toqger feel like they have one personality for five people ; Toqger isn't a show where both sides bring an equal amount to the table : when you look at the story, it feels more like "the Shadow Line civil war, guest-starring the Toqger" : while it may allow some great stories, it doesn't really fit a superhero show like Super Sentai : it's striking how Zaram's becoming a Toqger is pretty much only one of the many betrayals seen within the Shadow Line. The Shadow Line are too busy fighting each other to really care about the Toqger; it's problematic to make the Toqger look like heroes. :laugh:

Well, on the bright side, at least none of the characters are despising and acting like jerk, which has been problematic for last few years (*cough* KyoryuJERK).

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Yeah, look at that asshole Nossan. And Amy was a real douchecanoe, always trying to help everyone fit into the team ...

Yeah, look at that asshole Nossan. And Amy was a real douchecanoe, always trying to help everyone fit into the team ...

Actually, I found Nossan to be more tolerable character in original 5.
At least he was trying to be good hero and uncle.
It such a shame his character was wasted thanks to other 4.
Granted, I was getting really tired and annoyed by his constant jokes and pun.

Rebellious
I always liked his jokes and puns. But then again, I'm 27 so I guess I'd qualify as an old man by Japan standards.

Henshin a Go-Go!!
Actually, I found Nossan to be more tolerable character in original 5.
At least he was trying to be good hero and uncle.
It such a shame his character was wasted thanks to other 4.
Granted, I was getting really tired and annoyed by his constant jokes and pun.

If "kyoryujerk" was intended to be an example of a good pun, you may have more in common with Nossan than you realize. And you still haven't clarified who the "jerk" in the Kyoryuger lineup is...

Some kind of Beast mode
That in itself is the sign of a bad show. Villains should not be (for want of a better term) "likeable as people"; there's a difference between understanding their motivations, vs actually liking them more than the heroes. Sentai is a fight of good vs evil, not a debate where both sides bring an equal amount to the table and the audience decides who's right. Gritta is blatant audience-sympathy bait (which Sentai does a lot with female and/or child villains) and in my opinion that's both cheap and lazy

Well yea, I not condoning it, but there have been series where top to bottom it was a colossal waste of time. So I wouldn't say it's the very worst is all.

But damn, those suits and combined mech do not help its case. :disappoin

Where?

Am I the only one who thought the last Mio episode wasn't that bad? Certainly not as horrible as the comments made it out to be before I actually sat down to watch.

Wow, I haven't been keeping up with this thread at all.

My biggest issue came from episode 9, which depicted every female in the show as being completely subservient to males and being utterly broken if they rejected them (and note, it was only the GUYS who were under the monsters control, so it's not like their reactions were part of an evil plot). Mio, who's typically depicted as a slightly awkward tomboy, becomes the "perfect wife" upon meeting someone she's slightly attracted to and the first thing she does, literally, is going off to the kitchen to make a sandwich for him. And that's not even getting into other episodes with her or any of the stuff with Grita either.

I'm used to some amount of sexism from toku shows, but it's rare that I'm as offended by them as I have been with ToQGer.

Well, on the bright side, at least none of the characters are despising and acting like jerk, which has been problematic for last few years (*cough* KyoryuJERK).

The only show that in recent years I can think of that's had main characters acting like "jerks" was Gokaiger and that was mostly their whole thing, since they were pirates. That show sorely lacked development for any of them, but I wouldn't call them boring. Gobusters is probably the one show with less interesting characters than ToQ, but it at least had a lot of focus on Jin later on.

I'm not sure how you could take an issue with the Kyoryuger cast, except maybe the level of importance placed on Daigo. He definitely wasn't a jerk though and I think the rest of the cast got enough screen time and development to still always feel important, just not as important as him. The show was at least written to be about that and it was written well, even if you don't like it.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Mio, who's typically depicted as a slightly awkward tomboy, becomes the "perfect wife" upon meeting someone she's slightly attracted to and the first thing she does, literally, is going off to the kitchen to make a sandwich for him. And that's not even getting into other episodes with her or any of the stuff with Grita either.

I'm used to some amount of sexism from toku shows, but it's rare that I'm as offended by them as I have been with ToQGer.

Not only that but the majority of her focus episodes have something to do with romance (usually related to Tokacchi's obsession with her) and/or showcasing her vulnerability, nurturing, and stereotypically feminine attributes. Basically implying that this is what makes a "real" woman and what she's going to mature into. It's very common for Japanese media to treat tomboyish or aggression in a female character as an attribute of immaturity that she is supposed to grow out of - that's part of the "tsundere" archetype.

The only show that in recent years I can think of that's had main characters acting like "jerks" was Gokaiger and that was mostly their whole thing, since they were pirates.

And even that was mainly Marv, Joe and Luka. The other three could be sassy sometimes but were not really jerks at all ...

My biggest issue came from episode 9, which depicted every female in the show as being completely subservient to males and being utterly broken if they rejected them (and note, it was only the GUYS who were under the monsters control, so it's not like their reactions were part of an evil plot).

Would you be saying anything if the roles were reversed?

Mio, who's typically depicted as a slightly awkward tomboy, becomes the "perfect wife" upon meeting someone she's slightly attracted to and the first thing she does, literally, is going off to the kitchen to make a sandwich for him.

Yes, describing it through smug Western stereotypes of 'bourgeois' housewives lends your argument to be taken seriously -___-"

Perhaps you just offend too easily.

The only show that in recent years I can think of that's had main characters acting like "jerks" was Gokaiger and that was mostly their whole thing, since they were pirates.

While they may have matched their profession, the Gokaigers' "We're too good for this, get outta the way so we can find this treasure that we still think is some big chest of gold or something, say who're those guys who say they're from past Sentais" attitudes often got quite annoying.

Last edited: