Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters - Full Series TALK UP!

Misread them how, sorry? By thinking kids would go for the tech theme?

I think the show made some faulty assumptions about what would go over well with its audience in the wake of Gokaiger and the Tohoku tsunami/earthquake. I think Go-Busters wanted to be an allegorical show that would help people work through their feelings, while also making Sentai more palatable to the older audience of collectors that has long been drawn to Kamen Rider. What happened is that the people most affected by the quakes, kids, wanted escapist TV, not allegorical TV. Likewise, the thought of making Sentai more palatable to an adult audience was actually offensive to Sentai's pre-existing adult audience. There was a logic behind what Go-Busters did, but I feel that logic was based on faulty assumptions about the audience.

I think Kyoryuger has hit the mark better in terms of the national mood. People want something to brighten their mood, something that offers escape. Likewise, people do want a different approach to Sentai, but they want the franchise to remain firmly grounded in childhood nostalgia. They don't want the tropes gone, they want a writer to sit down and explain why the tropes are what they are, and give them value. We don't have even ratings numbers for Kyoryuger yet, but given the Japanese fan reaction, I'm expecting the numbers to be strong when we do find out what they are.
 
Also since you say almost, out of curiosity you show to a kid based on mature content? I'll bump those up my to-watch list. :D

Offhand I'd have some reservations about showing them DaiRanger. Not to say I would never show it to them but I'd very much want to have a very solid gauge of what that kid could handle as far as intense moments and bizarre imagery. (The constant flashbacks to Kou getting branded alone would give me pause.)

=To me it's a bit odd that Go-Busters is considered this edgy mature line they have to draw back from.

I'm a little confused by that myself. If GoBusters is considered "too dark" then MegaRanger might as well be Watchmen.

I don't know. it'd be really weird for me as fan to be in the position where the thing I kinda went to as an alternative to the grimdark excess in American superhero comics begins to really go into exactly the opposite extreme.

When I was a young kid, the Batman and X-Men animated series of the early 90s were some of my favs. Those had plenty of real adult themes and plenty of violence, and I turned out okay. I think. There's fluffy stuff for kids, but there should also be thrilling and perhaps a bit challenging stuff for kids too.

I think it was Roger Stern who used to say superheroes did best when you aimed for "smart 12 year olds" and then older fans who liked using their imaginations can come along for the ride to. I started looking at them when I was 5 and I think my primary motivation for learning how to read was wanting to know what Spider-Man was saying. At the time the Comics Code had loosened up quite a bit but there was still some healthy standards. Not the sort of Saw with capes stuff we get from Didio era DC. What I find is that when you're kid it's just cool that Spider-Man exists (in so much as any imaginary character does). When it's not hard-targeted at adults only those stories kind of grow with you and you get something new out of them each time because you're picking up on more.

You're never gonna be as open to the idea of a superhero as you are when you're a kid but once that love is there it can last a lifetime. But that can't happen if the material is so extreme such that no parent in their right thinking mind would put that in front of their kids eyeballs. Yes you don't want to isolate a kid from every possibly challenging idea but it's irresponsible to just toss em into the deep end of the pool.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, Go-Busters is nowhere near being the best selling Sentai home release. Granted, there's no data on how many copies it actually sold, but it didn't chart nearly as high as Shinkenger. Or even Gokaiger or Go-Onger.

The first number is its peak position on sales charts and the second is how many weeks it charted. Interestingly enough, when looking it up, it seems that releases of older stuff, like, pre-Gaoranger, don't chart much worse than the average Sentai.

*Snip*

Going by the charts & by your definitions, I presume that lower numbers on peak positions for each volume = good.

Do you know where I can look up those? I always wanted to know about the sales of the DVD's/Blu-Ray's of Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, & Metal Heroes of what Toei puts out.
 
Yeah, Go-Busters is nowhere near being the best selling Sentai home release. Granted, there's no data on how many copies it actually sold, but it didn't chart nearly as high as Shinkenger. Or even Gokaiger or Go-Onger.

Thanks for the lists, gotta love how people make up fake information on the internet lol.
And whoa poor Goseiger, the only series outsold by Go-busters. It did awful!
 
Goseiger has a much higher average than Go-Busters's, though (5.4%) and its toy sales started to pick up somewhat after its change of producer, otherwise it seems likely Go-Busters would have outsold Goseiger toy-wise too
 
Goseiger has a much higher average than Go-Busters's, though (5.4%) and its toy sales started to pick up somewhat after its change of producer, otherwise it seems likely Go-Busters would have outsold Goseiger toy-wise too

Technically, the Sentai line in Go-Busters's year did significantly outsell the Sentai line in Gosegier's year. The catch to this is that during Go-Busters, the Ranger Key line was still going. We don't have hard numbers, but the statements made by Bandai's President would make me think that Ranger Keys floated the line during Go-Busters's year.
 
Yeah, Go-Busters is nowhere near being the best selling Sentai home release. Granted, there's no data on how many copies it actually sold, but it didn't chart nearly as high as Shinkenger. Or even Gokaiger or Go-Onger.

The first number is its peak position on sales charts and the second is how many weeks it charted. Interestingly enough, when looking it up, it seems that releases of older stuff, like, pre-Gaoranger, don't chart much worse than the average Sentai.

[hide]VOL 7
過去最高 139
登場回数 2

VOL 6
過去最高 120
登場回数 1

VOL 5
過去最高 92
登場回数 1

VOL 4
過去最高 70
登場回数 2

VOL 3
過去最高 87
登場回数 1

VOL 2
過去最高 94
登場回数 1

VOL 1
過去最高 84
登場回数 1[/hide]

Gokaiger
[hide]

199 HERO
過去最高 13位 登場回数 5回

VOL 12
過去最高 236
登場回数 1

VOL 11
過去最高 25
登場回数 2

VOL 10
過去最高 26
登場回数 2

VOL 9
過去最高 64
登場回数 2

VOL 5
過去最高 21
登場回数 4

VOL 4
過去最高 30
登場回数 2

VOL 3
過去最高 42
登場回数 1

VOL 2
過去最高 49
登場回数 3

VOL 1
過去最高 34
登場回数 2[/hide]

Goseiger
[hide]VOL 1
過去最高 131位 登場回数 1回

VOL 2
過去最高 162位 登場回数 1回

VOL 3
過去最高 164位 登場回数 1回

VOL 4
過去最高 131位 登場回数 1回

VOL 5
過去最高 176位 登場回数 1回

VOL 6
過去最高 224位 登場回数 1回

VOL 7
過去最高 155位 登場回数 1回

VOL 8
過去最高 296位 登場回数 1回

VOL 10
過去最高 193位 登場回数 1回

VOL 11
過去最高 123位 登場回数 1回

VOL 12
過去最高 162位 登場回数 1回[/hide]

Shinkenger
[hide]VOL 1
過去最高 53位 登場回数 6回

VOL 2
過去最高 18位 登場回数 2回

VOL 3
過去最高 35位 登場回数 3回

VOL 4
過去最高 27位 登場回数 2回

VOL 5
過去最高 32位 登場回数 2回

VOL 6
過去最高 35位 登場回数 2回

VOL 7
過去最高 26位 登場回数 2回

VOL 8
過去最高 26位 登場回数 2回

VOL 9
過去最高 36位 登場回数 2回

VOL 10
過去最高 30位 登場回数 1回

VOL 11
過去最高 14位 登場回数 2回

VOL 12
過去最高 18位 登場回数 2回[/hide]


Go-Onger
[hide]VOL 1
過去最高 73位 登場回数 5回

VOL 2
過去最高 74位 登場回数 2回

VOL 3
過去最高 85位 登場回数 2回

VOL 4
過去最高 82位 登場回数 2回

VOL 7
過去最高 64位 登場回数 1回


VOL 8
過去最高 83位 登場回数 1回

VOL 9
過去最高 135位 登場回数 2回

VOL 10
過去最高 65位 登場回数 1回

VOL 11
過去最高 53位 登場回数 2回[/hide]

Boukenger
[hide]VOL 1
過去最高 88位 登場回数 3回

VOL 2
過去最高 86位 登場回数 2回

VOL 3
過去最高 51位 登場回数 2回

VOL 4
過去最高 131位 登場回数 1回

VOL 5
過去最高 107位 登場回数 1回

VOL 6
過去最高 74位 登場回数 2回

VOL 7
過去最高 93位 登場回数 1回

VOL 8
過去最高 97位 登場回数 1回

VOL 9
過去最高 72位 登場回数 2回

VOL 10
過去最高 70位 登場回数 2回

VOL 11
過去最高 74位 登場回数 1回

VOL 12
過去最高 87位 登場回数 2回

VS Boukenger
過去最高 16位 登場回数 8回[/hide]

Magiranger
[hide]VOL 1
過去最高 87位 登場回数 3回

VOL 2
過去最高 129位 登場回数 2回

VOL 3
過去最高 67位 登場回数 2回

VOL 4
過去最高 195位 登場回数 2回

VOL 5
過去最高 129位 登場回数 2回

VOL 6
過去最高 77位 登場回数 2回

VOL 7
過去最高 107位 登場回数 2回

VOL 8
過去最高 103位 登場回数 2回

VOL 9
過去最高 89位 登場回数 2回

VOL 10
過去最高 57位 登場回数 2回

VOL 11
過去最高 93位 登場回数 1回

VOL 12
過去最高 67位 登場回数 2回[/hide]

Abaranger
[hide]VOL 1
過去最高 129位 登場回数 1回

VOL 2
過去最高 171位 登場回数 1回

VOL 3
過去最高 286位 登場回数 1回

VOL 4
過去最高 162位 登場回数 1回

VOL 5
過去最高 133位 登場回数 1回

VOL 6
過去最高 216位 登場回数 1回

VOL 7
過去最高 174位 登場回数 1回

VOL 8
過去最高 151位 登場回数 1回

VOL 9
過去最高 300位 登場回数 1回

VOL 10
過去最高 234位 登場回数 1回

VOL 11
過去最高 280位 登場回数 1回

VOL 12
過去最高 216位 登場回数 1回[/hide]

Kakuranger
[hide]VOL 1
過去最高 172位 登場回数 1回

VOL 2
過去最高 147位 登場回数 1回

VOL 3
過去最高 180位 登場回数 1回

VOL 4
過去最高 223位 登場回数 1回

VOL 5
過去最高 136位 登場回数 1回[/hide]

Flashman
[hide]VOL 1
過去最高 151位 登場回数 1回

VOL 2
過去最高 87位 登場回数 1回

VOL 3
過去最高 186位 登場回数 2回

VOL 4
過去最高 166位 登場回数 1回

VOL 5
過去最高 154位 登場回数 1回[/hide]

Changeman
[hide]VOL 1
過去最高 73位 登場回数 2回

VOL 2
過去最高 154位 登場回数 1回

VOL 3
過去最高 111位 登場回数 1回

VOL 4
過去最高 119位 登場回数 2回

VOL 5
過去最高 83位 登場回数 1回[/hide]

Abaranger seems to be a pretty unpopular show in Japan given those sales charts :disappoin
 
I just finished re-watching the Sentai series and to be honest.....I really don't understand why so many people liked it. I actually thought it was boring. I mean, the characters of Hiromu and Youko were just bland and generic. I found Hiromu's "Weak Point" to be really cringeworthy and not funny. Youko's "Weak Point" was also stupid and sexist. However, the only characters that I did enjoyed watching are Ryuji, Gorisaki, Nick, Usada, Masato, J, and Escape (God, she's so F@#$'n hot!!!!) But Enter?!?!?! I'm sorry, but Enter was just a pointless, boring villain to me. He's even worse than Lothor from Power Rangers Ninja Storm, Agent Abrera from Dekaranger and Octoroo from Power Rangers Samurai/Super Samurai.

However, I did enjoy the Go-Busters' team-ups with Space Sheriff Gavan (Type G), the Gokaigers and with their various crossovers in Super Hero Taisen Z and Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters and of course the V-Cinema, "Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters vs. Animal Sentai Go-Busters". The music and the songs are awesome though.

Bottom line....Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters wasn't a very good Sentai in my opinion. But, it's not the worst. It's just....okay.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top