HJU Radio #49 – Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters vs. Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger: The Movie

[Download]

We got the band back together to sit down and review the latest Super Sentai Team-Up. The Gokaigers have returned from outer space and… have gone rogue! The only ones who stand in their way is the Special Ops Taskforce, but do they have what it takes to take on the previous season veterans? Or is there more to the Dark Gokaigers than meets the eye?

We also have our latest attempt at pulling together a good podcasting format. The show kicks off with Tokusatsu News, goes in to the review and we close it out with what we’ve been geeking on. Download, drop in and enjoy.

As always… thanks for listening.

The BusterKaigers:
Keith Justice
Lynxara
Michael Nixon
Craig “The ScreamMan†Moore
Dustin Beadle

Special thanks to Dustin Beadle who did the graphics for this episode.

Special thanks to forum member Jon Fuu [Soundcloud] [YouTube]. Without his post-production work, there would be no show.

S

scikaiju

I would have to say Lynxara pretty much described the movie perfectly too.

And thanks for the review shout out Keith:thumbs:

Here's a pic of Masaru Nagai from January. He either loosened up about Timeranger or it's purely an agency thing.
CEyjLZe.jpg

Lynx, would it be better just to reveal the face of Asuka Kagura/Shurikenger already?

Heck, just have Time Yellow, Red Racer, Mega Red, Go Red, Oh Red, Gavan back for the Hurricanger reunion and just play up the whole "Who is really Shurikenger?" running gag.

Also, another unmorphed fight with Nanami cutting down baddies with a single tanto dagger.:buttrock:

PS: Ahh, Time Yellow...who was featured in the most f'ed up episode of Gokai, but beforehand, was an identity of Shurikenger.

Looks like not a lot of people cared about this movie I guess? Are we experiencing Gokaiger fatigue?

The Ends JustiΦ's the Means
It was fun to see the Gokaiger crew again since I love watching the cast interact, but as far as story for the movie goes, I think the Go-Busters had a more interesting part in this.

[HIDE]With the rebooting of the Buddyroids midway through the movie, seeing them as ordinary robots with no personality and how the Go-Busters reacted to losing their partners was something that really boosted the movie from your average entertaining Sentai crossover to something with some meat in it. Having seen the whole show and witnessing the connection they have with their Buddyroids, you tend to feel for them a lot more once the Buddyroids are "gone". [/HIDE]

But I agree that this was a well done crossover. But, I'm a bit fan of the Sentai crossovers since, like Lynxara, its what got me into Sentai in the first place. So there is rarely one that I don't like. Hell, the Shinkenger/Go-Onger crossover was actually pretty fun to watch and made the Go-Onger tolerable. But yeh, I really liked this movie and will watch it over and over again. And the Kyoryuger cameo was pretty hilarious to me.

Looks like not a lot of people cared about this movie I guess? Are we experiencing Gokaiger fatigue?

Not really. It's just the vibe of the movie. What would've been interesting if they did a few more call backs.

GokaiRed uses his AkaRed Key to change into his mentor's form and uses Soul Advent.

Meanwhile, Ahim still has the crafted AbarePig Key that Emiri gave her and transforms just for the hell of it. Heck, Ahim and Luka inadvertantly transforming into no Sentai Heroes. Ahim becomes White Rose Mask and Abare Pig, while Luka manages to find a gem that allows her to transform into Sieg Jeanne.

As for Joe, they could've has Sid's ghost return and tosses him his sword for Joe to use.

Don...if you saw his "A Day of One Hero" film...why not parody that.:sweat:

Last edited:
I liked him when he wasn't a god

I think it's a combination of the fandom now having decided it's cool to hate on Gokaiger, and a lot of people strongly disliking Go-Busters

I think it's a combination of the fandom now having decided it's cool to hate on Gokaiger, and a lot of people strongly disliking Go-Busters

Then again, when it came to Gao and Bouken, it seemed to be an easier transition after the anniversary year ended. For some reason, Gokaiger seemed a bit...off...following the anniversary year. Maybe because of Gobuster, but that's hard to say considering Gobusters appeared in a crossover between Super Sentai and Space Sheriffs.:eyebrow:

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
I just hadn't had the time to listen to this episode!

I didn't think about it this way but it makes sense that the Go-buster would be stronger than the Gokaiger. Without Gokai-change into other teams the Gokaiger really don't have a lot going for them. It's why Yoko and Ryuji could take on two Gokaiger each without problem.

Still I found it a bit annoying that Ryuji got the two strong Gokaiger (Joe and Luka) instead of getting the boys. It makes Yoko seem weaker when she has to compete with Ahim and Don who were the weaker members of the Gokaiger.

Plus if they hadn't paired up swordsmen together they could have had the whole weapon trading action going on! I always loved that bit in Gokaiger.

That castle they use that was supposed to be in England looked way more French than English to me.