Toku Fandom & Culture outside of Japan

Well here in Singapore, due to the americanized versions tokusatsu, this genre has a bad reputation. Even the fans like me and several others are forced underground too.a

for example here
our tv station is planning on making a false toku based on Power Rangers.
This was taken from a local magazine.
attachmentrp8.jpg

Which station? Mediacorp?
 
toksatsus becoming big in america? it's impossible for multiple reasons.

1. the stigmata of power rangers: because of power rangers impact upon the people, 8 out of 10 times if you showed it to an american person, they'd say "man! that some power rangers crap!" because of this tokusatsu shows would have to jump over that big ol' hump and I don't think its strong enough to do that.

2. special effects: all tokusatsus in general are basically guys in suits fighting other guys in rubber suits. americans tend to look highly on good special effects and because of that, the usually sub par special effects in a toku are not looked highly upon.

3. content: almost every single toku that comes to america it is edited and most of the original story is manipulated to where it isn't even the original storyline. even dragon knight, which is looking to be the biggest hope among fans of american distribution of these shows, is being edited and cut up upon. because of this, even if tokus become big in america, we still might not be able to truly see our favorite shows over here (big bad beetleborgs anyone?)

4. time frame: the tokusatsu is nearly dead. sad but true. almost all of the shows really being made now are either ultraman, kamen rider or super sentai with a few shows also being made in between but it's not like it use to be. in the seventies they're used to be tons of tokus being made. if it was going to make a huge impact, it had to have done it then, when it was in a good era. when anime hit it's big boom, it was during a time when a ton of good anime shows were getting made and that started a wave of it. same thing with kung fu movies back in the seventies, when bruce lees enter the dragon came out and a whole mess of kung fu films were coming out.

5 ownership: disney owns power rangers and in that right owns super sentai. you can say what you will but in tokusatsus super sentai is still a big name and a huge influence. they won't release super sentai no matter what, period. point. end of discussion. adness now owns kamen rider (don't know about showa era but pretty sure they do.) and they seem like they might but I highly doubt it if dragon knight doesn't do good and even if it does, I still don't know. if we do get our shows over here, we might not even ever see them. I know many companies who buy up rights to things just so they won't compete with them in the long run. media blasters HAS mentioned thinking about releasing super sentai boxsets to america but I don't know if it's going to ever happen.

I'm almost positive other people have stated the same arguments before but I just wanted to say it in my own words. it CAN happen, it might but you need one hell of a show to do it. that's always how something gets into the peoples eyes before. you need one show that pops out and hits them hard if we want tokus to become big in america but we can't do that, we just have to hope some companie comes in and launches a toku on the airwaves that really pulls people in. with anime it was dragon ballZ that finally broke that chain, with kung fu it was crouching tiger, hidden dragon. of course these didn't start it off but it was what brought these genres to the peoples eyes and made them want to do it. dragon knights might be able to do it but I don't know. hopefully it will but I'm a pessimist at heart and I don't usually keep my hopes up.
 
prometheus126 Is right regarding Toku not coming. I don't know about Media Blasters idea if they'll bring sentai on DVD or Blu-Ray but I hope it will with Disney's consent (They have Sentai rights, remember?). I mean, if they released Masked Rider The First on DVD, why not Super Sentai!

But I hope it will be true. Hope Sentai will air on Disney XD which will target an older audience.
 
What we need. What we REALLY need. Is our own adult American toku. No influence from other shows. No adaptations. No toy trains. If we can get a GARO for America, then I think we can make toku in America Popular again.

God knows 4 out of 5 of my friends LOVED Kamen Rider the First when I showed it to them. And the only reason the 5th one didnt was because it wasn't dubbed.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top