MattComix
Super Moderator
What a fucken bad ass movie.
So Thor DID have his helmet at the beginning ceremony on Asgad!.
The first and last time we ever see it. Why even bother to establish it at all if they never intended to use it? :disappoin
I've heard some say that the helmet wasn't used because they wanted to show the actors face. My problem with this is if you look at the most well-known versions of Thor helmet, it doesn't obscure his face at all. It seems like a minor thing but my problem with it is that helmet is quite simply something that makes Thor look like Thor. Without it he kinda looks like blond Superman to some extent. The helmet is a key part of Thors visual iconography.
Thor's costume looked good except for the helmet thing and the sleeves but on that one I concede that I just prefer his classic look to the JMS era one. Actually if you just took the sleeves off his version of the costume it would have been fine.
All that said however, I did enjoy the movie. Heimdal rocked. Warriors Three were awesome. I loved that they did Thors hammer toss and whirls and lightning smashes. The Destroyer was cool. Excellent effect for the Rainbow Bridge. Asgard was cool with little touches of Kirby and Simonson but also it's own thing.
I miss having the transformative aspect via Don Blake (there again an element referenced but not used, why bother?) but even so, I enjoyed the fish out of water stuff with Thor in the small town. I thought the actor playing Thor did a good job and the script seemed to find a way to have him sound like Thor even though it's not the full-on Thor-speak I enjoy from the classic comics and the Avengers cartoon. I also thought he had really good chemistry with Jane Foster. I think I had gotten so used to how wooden Portman's performance was in the Star Wars prequels she just felt more alive here.
Hopkins as Odin=rule. Loki sort of came together as the movie went on which I guess was intentional. I was kind of skeptical at first but the end of the movie I felt like the actor finally owned it.
Oh and the ending teaser..holy ****. Was not expecting that little bit of Marvel lore to come into play in the movies. The Avengers is looking up though I liked that it wasn't all about setting up the Avengers even though SHIELD is a huge presence in the movie.