Should Yasuko Kobayashi just stick to Sentai?

My favorite Kobayashi shows are anime and the non-franchise PGSM, respectively. So, I think Toei should stop attaching her ideas to their big two franchises and just let her do more original productions.

Relaunch Metal Hero or something and make it her playground. The results would be interesting without having to compromise her ideas by, metaphorically speaking, always jamming a motorcycle in the train.

It Amused Me.

And I actually think that with a new set of merchandise to work with, instead of rehashing her older ideas, Kobayashi could gain a lot of her cred back.
 
She wrote Ryuki? That show was a mess.

You can't please everybody... I liked that show, it didn't seem like a mess to me, even after watching the when it was airing back then right after finishing Agito.

For me, her radical approach to Ryuki was better than what they did with OOO which is to ride on the merchandise pattern created by Double.

Ryuki was written well for me, so I'm not sure why you felt it was a mess. Care to share your insights as to why?
 
Ryuki was written well for me, so I'm not sure why you felt it was a mess. Care to share your insights as to why?

Two main reasons

1. The pacing. Most Riders in the season didn't get enough screen time, didn't get time to develop and were thus not characters I even cared about. Example is Imperer, who was an awesome character that got rushed in the last couple episodes. In a franchise that I feel should have strong characters in order to be successful Ryuki dropped the ball

2. The finale. A lame way to end the series, it basically undid everything that happened during the season, it seems like they got lazy and this was the best they could come up with.
 
My Opinion of her work (Pasted from the KR OOO thread)
Gingaman: Haven't seen it, don't plan on watching it
TimeRanger: Haven't seen it, I'll watch it as soon as TVN Subtitles it
Ryuki: Not my favorite KR Series
PGSM: I assume that's anime, see Gingaman
Den-O: Loved it
Shinkenger: Fucking Badass, Will be interesting if Saban adapts it to PR.

Also she wrote Boukenger Task 24 (aka Natsuki drives the DaiBouken like no one has before or since)
 
Look at it this way if she didn't make Ryuki we wouldn't have Ouja.....so yeah....shut up.....

LOL! :laugh:

Two main reasons

1. The pacing. Most Riders in the season didn't get enough screen time, didn't get time to develop and were thus not characters I even cared about. Example is Imperer, who was an awesome character that got rushed in the last couple episodes. In a franchise that I feel should have strong characters in order to be successful Ryuki dropped the ball

2. The finale. A lame way to end the series, it basically undid everything that happened during the season, it seems like they got lazy and this was the best they could come up with.

Anyway, for me it was a totally different experience. I was able to realize everyone's full value, even Imperer since his last 2 episodes were awesomely dramatic, the ironic end to a guy who just wants more in his life. He's supposed to show the side of the Riders who are just "victims" to Kanzaki Shiro's plans. The ones who didn't really want to fight but just saw that being a Kamen Rider might uplift them from their current situation which sucks. All the other Riders who didn't get too much screen time like Scissors and Gai were very self-explanatory. They were pretty much the cannon fodder Riders of the show, those that need to die in order to make a point, not for people to get attached to them. All the other Riders were pretty much fair game by then, with the exception of Shinji since his principles is the only different one when compared to the others.

Regarding your second point, well, there have been a lot of stories similar as that, like Nick Cage's movie "Next", when all the events you thought were happening in real time were not or were erased. A lot of people appreciate those twists, a lot don't, so it may be somewhat Kobayashi's fault to have expected all of the audiences to like it, but so far, I don't remember any Japanese fans (correct me if I'm wrong) dismayed with what happened. Being Asian, that kind of ending is acceptable to me since I've been exposed to different media with the same kind of twist. In a literary perspective, I tend to look at it as the writer's way in trying to return balance to a "normal" world after it was toppled with amazing, unbelievable, and unrealistic events.

Look at it this way, a lot of people didn't like Faiz's ending which was open-ended since it typically left out all of the existing problems in the world, because that is what the Kamen Rider actually stands for, it stands for existing problems in the world which needs fixing, hence their existence. If there are no more problems, then there is no need for a Kamen Rider, if there are still problems, then there is still need for them. So it just goes either way, you either like the other or you don't. Unless you just like pleasant endings like in Kabuto where everything seems fixed after all of the events.
 
The finale. A lame way to end the series, it basically undid everything that happened during the season, it seems like they got lazy and this was the best they could come up with.

The finale to the show was pretty bad and felt anti-climactic. Buuuuuuuuuut, it you think of the movie as the actual ending and the T.V. one was just some goofy experiment they pulled out of their head.

the entire mirror monsters are nothing more then doodles thing is extremely annoying and irritating but atleast the movie did it all, ya know, good.
 
The finale to the show was pretty bad and felt anti-climactic. Buuuuuuuuuut, it you think of the movie as the actual ending and the T.V. one was just some goofy experiment they pulled out of their head.

the entire mirror monsters are nothing more then doodles thing is extremely annoying and irritating but atleast the movie did it all, ya know, good.

Hmmm... I don't necessarily agree with you, but I guess you are correct that the AU movies are there to compensate on whatever complains anybody would have had with the series-ending.

Everything in Ryuki felt right for me, nothing really worth complaining about... Coming from a guy who's been watching KR since KR BLACK every single year.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top